• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Math and Physics requirements

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
General Physics and Calc 1 and 2 are not in-depth at all, they're just fundamentals and concepts, really. I don't know why the Navy requires them...I suppose because they think officers should understand some basics about functions / nature.

The guys at my school had to take the calc and physics classes that the math, physics and engineering majors took and not the more basic versions but the 4 credit versions. They dragged many a GPA down among my classmates.......:(

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I was the opposite, had less than 2.0 G.P.A. in music, switched majors to physics and made straight As ever since (3 years now). Part of this was me growing up, but another part of it is just really enjoying physics and math.

Anyway, I agree that those courses can be difficult.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
n39700457_30794937_6915.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The guys at my school had to take the calc and physics classes that the math, physics and engineering majors took and not the more basic versions but the 4 credit versions. They dragged many a GPA down among my classmates.......:(

I think it just depends on how the school has it organized. At UF, Physics w/out Calc was the easier course, but not what the Navy wanted. Physics w/ Calc was one of the pre-reqs for the engineers and was therefore a weed out course. Those of us non-engineers got to join in on the fun, thanks to the Navy. After the first few quizzes/tests, I decided Santa Fe Community College would better suit me. "C" is for commission.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Same here. I had to go through the "Everyone in here is an engineering major, riight?"

Had the same thing happen to me. I and 3 other ROTC people, non-tech majors, in the class with me. First day, raise your hand if you're an engineer. Then all the people taking it for the pre-med requirement raise their hands when asked. Professor stares at the 4 of us for a couple seconds really confused, then asks how many are in ROTC. After we raise our hands he kind of gives us this look of "wow, you guys are screwed." 2 of the others dropped the class, I and the other girl who remained both got C's. Really not nice on the GPA.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
not gonna lie here.....non-techs weren't the only ones not getting A's in Physics 211-213 either. I for one barely swung a B in the EM class....probably one of the hardest classes I have taken in college. Most of the engineering courses I have taken dumb everything down to a practical level (w/ the exception of Thermo and Fluids)....

BigRed389

None
Had the same thing happen to me. I and 3 other ROTC people, non-tech majors, in the class with me. First day, raise your hand if you're an engineer. Then all the people taking it for the pre-med requirement raise their hands when asked. Professor stares at the 4 of us for a couple seconds really confused, then asks how many are in ROTC. After we raise our hands he kind of gives us this look of "wow, you guys are screwed." 2 of the others dropped the class, I and the other girl who remained both got C's. Really not nice on the GPA.

That completely sucks.

Did your school offer any alternatives?

At mine they've got "dummy" versions of all the NROTC requirements for non-engineers: physics/calc for non engineers, and they've got this glorified MS Office tutorial that counts as computer science credit.

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, we're required to take the calc based version of physics, the non-calc based doesn't count for NROTC requirements. I thought that was a requirement for all NROTC people. In the end I just sucked up the first semester but I took the second semester over the summer at a local school near me for transfer credit.

BigRed389

None
No, we're required to take the calc based version of physics, the non-calc based doesn't count for NROTC requirements. I thought that was a requirement for all NROTC people. In the end I just sucked up the first semester but I took the second semester over the summer at a local school near me for transfer credit.

Yeah, but at my school they have non-technical major versions of the calc based physics classes. My roommate was taking it...definitely MUCH easier than the engineering versions I took.

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wish we had some form non-evil calc-based physics that didn't anally rape you on a daily basis. I would have preferred that.

CAVU

just livin' the dream...
None
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. Wow, that took, what, 18 posts to get there? Short answer, Navy doesn't care about your high school stuff for it's commissioning reqs. It only cares about what the college says you have. If the college doesn't give you credit for the req, you have to take it.

Listen to GatorDev boys and girls!

Step 1: Going into this deal YOU really need to know what Calculus and Calculus-based Physics courses that YOUR NROTC unit has had blessed by NROTC HQ that is being taught at YOUR unit's college. The ROTC unit has already gotten that University's courses blessed by NROTC HQ.

Step 2a: Have the thrid party (high school, CLEP, AP boards, college) send to the University you are attending your scores/transcripts. They will convert it to their courses.

Step 2b: If you want to take the courses at a different University/community college then get the courses blessed in advance by the University, and of course keep your Unit informed. Many University's have already done this in advance

If the University accepts the courses then that is the end of the discussion because they will be noted on your transcript that the Unit has to use.

There are a few howevers:
- The requirements for your major may require at least one more math/physics course above what you had transferred. NOT THE UNIT!
- It really does not make sense for a Unit to require a Mid to take more courses. The additional 18 hours, of which typically only a few count towards general degree requirements, is demanding enough (time and money). Creating "New requirements" are most likely not supported by NROTC HQ. Money is tight everywhere.
- Every year, NROTC HQ publishes a list of Calculus and Calc-based Physics courses that fulfill the requirements at YOUR university AND every year there is a well meaning academics officer (LT) at each unit who makes the mistake that "unless you take the course at that university, then you have to take it." IT'S WRONG! When they call NROTC HQ they learn what I told you in the aforementioned steps.

Don't let the system box your ears. Ask lots of questions.

Now as to WHY it's required for Scholarship. My theory is that it is a hold over from the Rickover Nuclear days (everything was going to be Nuke). Now we are left with subs and CVNs. If you go subs, then those classes are important for the application. If you don't go subs, it won't come up again unless you are going before selection boards for CVN XO and CO 'cause you're going to go to NucPower school.

Grades count to. There are three numbers in your APC score: Your overall GPA, your average for the two Calc courses and lastly your average for the two physics course.

Spent sometime as a NROTC instructor. Hope this helps.:icon_wink

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
^^ Good stuff (and thanks for the backup, skipper).

Step 2b: If you want to take the courses at a different University/community college then get the courses blessed in advance by the University, and of course keep your Unit informed. Many University's have already done this in advance

One caveat... You might need to get the course at another university/school blessed by the unit, as well. I did, since it was on scholarship. It was pretty straight forward, but I had to at least try at the UF course (and go down in flames) before I could submit the request to go to the community college and take it.

Your mileage may vary.

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
I don't mean to take us on a tangent, but does anyone know the potential consequences for not completing CALC II by the end of your sophmore year? I only ask because I seem to have recently found myself in somewhat of a tight situation. Thanks.