• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Math and Physics requirements

Stupendousman

If you passed the AP Calculus or AP Physics tests during high school with a 3 or more can do you still have to fulfill the Calculus and Physics requirements during college or are you fully covered?

Stupendousman

out of topic

oh yeah, this is way out of the blue, but how come the Navy doesnt release any statistics/numbers/whatnot on admittance rates to the NROTC 4-year Scholarship program? I'm beyond curious to know

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
My guess is that since the Navy really only sees your college transcript, as long as your college gives you credit for the APs, then you're golden.

navy09

None
Ya, i think that's how it works...assuming you got 3's (or whatever your college mandates) on the AP test, you should be fine. I doubt the Navy would accept high school AP transcripts though...

TexasFight

As I understand it, you can only test out of Calc I and Physics I, and are required to take Calc II and Physics II at the university level.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
As I understand it, you can only test out of Calc I and Physics I, and are required to take Calc II and Physics II at the university level.

Nope. Well at least not here. AP calc BC gets you out of calc 2 as well. I only took the mechanics portion of AP physics C but I think if you take the mech. and E&M portions, then you can get out of another physics class too.

TexasFight

Really? Here AP BC Calculus only gets you out of Calc I, so I had to take Calc II anyway. For physics, I tested out of both mechanics and E&M, so I have credit for both on my transcript. However, my advisor last year told me I'd have to retake physics II at the university level...right now I'm trying to find out for sure if that's true.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Really? Here AP BC Calculus only gets you out of Calc I, so I had to take Calc II anyway. For physics, I tested out of both mechanics and E&M, so I have credit for both on my transcript. However, my advisor last year told me I'd have to retake physics II at the university level...right now I'm trying to find out for sure if that's true.

I only took AB (should have done BC) and got out of calc I. If it's on your transcript I'd say you're good to go. Maybe the university won't count it as a pre-req for future classes or whatever, but as long as you don't care about that I'm sure the Navy will recognize the classes.

SlickAg

pilot

That could be a unit requirement. If t.u. gives you credit for it, I would fight retaking it. Go talk to your class advisor, and if he's making you, go ask your next year's advisor what his take is. I should have gotten PRBed for not finishing calc 2 by the end of my sophomore year, but he was just like finish it this summer and you're fine. My junior year, my advisor called me in and asked me when I planned on taking my computer science class. I showed him the unit instruction i got my freshman year that counted the maple lab portion of calc 1 counted towards the requirement. He had a different, newer, instruction, but since he was a cool guy (and a history major) he marked me off as being complete per THAT instruction since I came into the program when that requirement was in effect. Bottom line: see what your advisor says, since he's the one who will decide. If he tells you you're good to go, ask him to write something to that effect in your jacket, so you don't get called in two weeks before graduating and bitched at for "not completing" the requirement. Didn't happen to me from NROTC, but I almost got my required minor denied due to a glitch in the computer system and it not being meshed up with the minor agreement that I signed. I showed them the note from my minor advisor that I had kept for two years saying I was fine and they had to accept it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
out of curiousity, is high-school AP physics calc-based? If not then you most definitely will not have a case. I'd be very surprised if you got out of either requirement personally.....college is a whole different ball game. At the very least you will have a good leg up in terms of those classes.

BlackDog421

Life's a garden. Dig it.
While were on the subject, could someone explain the calc and Physics requirements for the 2 year NROTC scholarship?

Pitchlock

pilot
Screwed up the attachments...yea like I have a phd in Computer Science....

Attachments

• cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 76
  • curve.jpg
    curve.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 66
  • expand.jpg
    expand.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 71
  • findX.gif
    findX.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 63
  • heat.jpg
    heat.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 70

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
out of curiousity, is high-school AP physics calc-based? If not then you most definitely will not have a case. I'd be very surprised if you got out of either requirement personally.....college is a whole different ball game. At the very least you will have a good leg up in terms of those classes.

AP Physics C is.