• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Math and Physics requirements

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That could be a unit requirement. If t.u. gives you credit for it, I would fight retaking it. Go talk to your class advisor, and if he's making you, go ask your next year's advisor what his take is. I should have gotten PRBed for not finishing calc 2 by the end of my sophomore year, but he was just like finish it this summer and you're fine. My junior year, my advisor called me in and asked me when I planned on taking my computer science class. I showed him the unit instruction i got my freshman year that counted the maple lab portion of calc 1 counted towards the requirement. He had a different, newer, instruction, but since he was a cool guy (and a history major) he marked me off as being complete per THAT instruction since I came into the program when that requirement was in effect. Bottom line: see what your advisor says, since he's the one who will decide. If he tells you you're good to go, ask him to write something to that effect in your jacket, so you don't get called in two weeks before graduating and bitched at for "not completing" the requirement. Didn't happen to me from NROTC, but I almost got my required minor denied due to a glitch in the computer system and it not being meshed up with the minor agreement that I signed. I showed them the note from my minor advisor that I had kept for two years saying I was fine and they had to accept it.

I don't think it's a unit only requirement, I think it might be a requirement from the Navy. I had a 5 on AP Calc AB but I had to redo calc. I did the first two semesters over again, but I subsequently found out I actually only needed to redo semester 2 :icon_rage But on the plus side I got 2 easy A's on my transcript.

efilemyr

SNA
Contributor
The first thing that you have to do to get the Navy to accept your AP classes is ensure that the school will accept your credit with the scores that you got. This varies between schools. As long as your school gives you credit, the Navy won't care about your scores.

The navy will require you to take a college calculus class. If you already have credit for Calc I and II then you have the option of retaking Calc II or a higher level calculus.

This is exactly what happened to me. Two of my advisers looked at my record and then checked that since I had also taken Multi-Variable Calculus and Diff. Eqs. that I was fine. I never even thought that this was going to be a problem until my junior year when I was told that I was ok.

I have trouble recommending my course to anyone though. The only reason that you would elect to take the higher level calculus courses would be because you need them for you major. Unless you feel very prepared from your AP class, you could be caught far behind. I would recomend taking Calc II at the very least and I would consider Calc I.

I never had a problem getting my AP Physics to count. Again, make sure that you get credit from you school first

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
My understanding is you need to have college credit for Calc I/II, and Physics I/II. If you're college gives you college credit for those classes, you shouldn't have to take them. Your transcripts will still show credit for those classes, the same credit you'd get if you took them.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My understanding is you need to have college credit for Calc I/II, and Physics I/II. If you're college gives you college credit for those classes, you shouldn't have to take them. Your transcripts will still show credit for those classes, the same credit you'd get if you took them.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. Wow, that took, what, 18 posts to get there? Short answer, Navy doesn't care about your high school stuff for it's commissioning reqs. It only cares about what the college says you have. If the college doesn't give you credit for the req, you have to take it.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. Wow, that took, what, 18 posts to get there? Short answer, Navy doesn't care about your high school stuff for it's commissioning reqs. It only cares about what the college says you have. If the college doesn't give you credit for the req, you have to take it.
Hmmm, how many times have we said that on here? I lost count about 3 years ago.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think that's the case. Vandy gave me 6 credits for the AP Calc, but my ROTC unit said I would either have to repeat the credits or take a third semester of calc. Since I'm majoring in history and econ, I retook the first too. Apparently my class advisor screwed up freshman year and I could have gotten away with taking just second semester calc, but every single mid at my school that had AP credit for either calc or physics is having to do the same thing.

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
Here's the safest solution for any situation you have regarding which classes count and which ones don't.
First, go to your class advisor, or to the admissions office of your school. Make sure that your AP credits actually did transfer like they were supposed to, and that the credit for that course is already in their records.
Second, go to your NROTC advisor and make sure that with your specific unit, you won't have to retake classes you have credit for. Some may make you retake depending on what you major in. I don't know for sure because (a) my unit didn't make me and (b) my major didn't require it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't think that's the case. Vandy gave me 6 credits for the AP Calc, but my ROTC unit said I would either have to repeat the credits or take a third semester of calc. Since I'm majoring in history and econ, I retook the first too. Apparently my class advisor screwed up freshman year and I could have gotten away with taking just second semester calc, but every single mid at my school that had AP credit for either calc or physics is having to do the same thing.

What can I say? Sucks to be you.

@KnightN...

That's because you're a Marine, which has different reqs. for Calc/Physics.

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
That's because you're a Marine, which has different reqs. for Calc/Physics.

I don't think we even had a req. for calc/physics as a Marine. My wife is Navy, and she only needed one semester of each....

That was 4 years ago now... Have things really changed that much in a relatively short time?!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think we even had a req. for calc/physics as a Marine. My wife is Navy, and she only needed one semester of each....
For at least a decade now, the Navy has required differential and integral calculus as well as mechanics, electrical, and optical fundamentals for physics. This could mean taking two semesters for both calculus and physics or three quarters of each instead (for schools on the west coast). Regardless, the point is that the Navy requires certain material to be covered.

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
Sounds like I'm just behind the power curve on this one... I knew she was busting her tail at math and seeing as how she was a history major, I just didn't get it... so...

I proudly stand corrected....

thanks!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why does the Navy require scholarship guys take calculas and physics anyways, especially the really in-depth ones? I was a College Program guy and have done just as well, if not better, in the Navy than my classmates who took those classes. I think they do little for you after graduation unless you are a nuke.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Why does the Navy require scholarship guys take calculas and physics anyways, especially the really in-depth ones? I was a College Program guy and have done just as well, if not better, in the Navy than my classmates who took those classes. I think they do little for you after graduation unless you are a nuke.

General Physics and Calc 1 and 2 are not in-depth at all, they're just fundamentals and concepts, really. I don't know why the Navy requires them...I suppose because they think officers should understand some basics about functions / nature.