• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

March 2015 IDC Board

FltEng

Hi all,

I'm new to the thread and the forum but I've been following it for a while. I was getting nervous about the lack of chatter. Like many of you, I was a December hopeful. As difficult as it is, stay positive and keep fighting for what you want.

Now, on to my question/talking point. I've been trying to find information on other threads about IW selectees and gauge my chances accordingly. I've seen a number of posts by IW selectees with degrees outside of the STEM arena. I've also seen the slide show that states physics and calculus courses are preferred and that not having them on your transcript is a negative aspect.

Obviously, we don't know what aspects of our packages the board will value most. That being said, does anyone have knowledge of persons selected that lacked STEM degrees or physics and calculus? I really appreciate any insight that anyone can offer.

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
From what I can tell, STEM degrees seem equivalent to experience in the IW field. Many of the selects with BA or BS degrees in areas other than STEM (including myself) are all currently, or were previously working in IDC rate at the time of selection. For those IW officers that I know who were not, the majority have a degree in either Math or Science.

Igbaf

Sneaky-Beaky Like
That being said, does anyone have knowledge of persons selected that lacked STEM degrees or physics and calculus? I really appreciate any insight that anyone can offer.
Have you looked at any of the threads for the previous boards? You can usually see other's info and then look at the end to see the results. I think I noticed some people selected for IW who mainly had like arts degrees but of course that's not the whole picture.

PettyOfficerCJ

Hi all,

I'm new to the thread and the forum but I've been following it for a while. I was getting nervous about the lack of chatter. Like many of you, I was a December hopeful. As difficult as it is, stay positive and keep fighting for what you want.

Now, on to my question/talking point. I've been trying to find information on other threads about IW selectees and gauge my chances accordingly. I've seen a number of posts by IW selectees with degrees outside of the STEM arena. I've also seen the slide show that states physics and calculus courses are preferred and that not having them on your transcript is a negative aspect.

Obviously, we don't know what aspects of our packages the board will value most. That being said, does anyone have knowledge of persons selected that lacked STEM degrees or physics and calculus? I really appreciate any insight that anyone can offer.

I was selected for IW, and I definitely did not have calculus or high level physics (did have lower level though) in college. I definitely do not qualify as someone who is truly a "STEM" person though I do now work in cryptology. You can have other things to make up for it. This is a fact since I got a select (and so have many others) over applicants who did have STEM degrees. See my stats below.

exNavyOffRec

I was selected for IW, and I definitely did not have calculus or high level physics (did have lower level though) in college. I definitely do not qualify as someone who is truly a "STEM" person though I do now work in cryptology. You can have other things to make up for it. This is a fact since I got a select (and so have many others) over applicants who did have STEM degrees. See my stats below.

you cannot compare AD IDC enlisted to anything else, it is well known that the IDC community likes AD IDC enlisted and that makes up for a lot, a non AD non STEM is an extreme long shot.

PettyOfficerCJ

you cannot compare AD IDC enlisted to anything else, it is well known that the IDC community likes AD IDC enlisted and that makes up for a lot, a non AD non STEM is an extreme long shot.

This is very true. Already having a clearance is also a definite advantage. My case was somewhat unusual, I suppose. My package was approved and submitted by my command the same week I dropped to my first shop. I had no actual IDC work experience to include. I was thinking though more about other AD with technical degrees that I personally knew that didn't get selected.

Manzo

Amicmanzo
This is very true. Already having a clearance is also a definite advantage. My case was somewhat unusual, I suppose. My package was approved and submitted by my command the same week I dropped to my first shop. I had no actual IDC work experience to include. I was thinking though more about other AD with technical degrees that I personally knew that didn't get selected.

Your response gives me more hope of getting picked up but I know I shouldn't have high hopes since it's all in their hands. Good luck to everyone this month!

exNavyOffRec

The board doesn't care about clearance, by the screening done before the board all those eligible should have no issues getting a clearance.

PettyOfficerCJ

The board doesn't care about clearance, by the screening done before the board all those eligible should have no issues getting a clearance.

It may make only a little difference, but already holding one is still a more sure thing than being deemed eligible. In bootcamp, my division had 2 females that had to be removed from the cryptology rating. They had been found in the initial screening to be found eligible for the appropriate clearances, but, during the actual investigation after swearing in, they could not be cleared to that level. It was no fault of their own. The initial screening simply can't catch everything the full investigation does. It just makes someone who already has it slightly less of a risk.
Certainly though, no one could argue your point that it would not make a board choose a less qualified applicant over a more qualified one simply because of a current clearance level.

exNavyOffRec

It may make only a little difference, but already holding one is still a more sure thing than being deemed eligible. In bootcamp, my division had 2 females that had to be removed from the cryptology rating. They had been found in the initial screening to be found eligible for the appropriate clearances, but, during the actual investigation after swearing in, they could not be cleared to that level. It was no fault of their own. The initial screening simply can't catch everything the full investigation does. It just makes someone who already has it slightly less of a risk.
Certainly though, no one could argue your point that it would not make a board choose a less qualified applicant over a more qualified one simply because of a current clearance level.

While this is true there are certain things that cannot be considered, the civilian applicants fill out the SF86 and those that appear to have issues would not be sent to board.

It is the experience that really pushes the IDC enlisted over the top.

Igbaf

Sneaky-Beaky Like
I know there aren't detailed reports or anything, but have yo'll noticed any characteristics the boards seem to like in civilian applicants? I'm applying IW-SWO, IW, and IP-SWO and I would think the SWO options would make more sense for civilians without prior service but that's just a thought.