• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

March 2010 Boards

mbraesicke

Ranger
hah, i'm willing to bet we won't be hearing anything like that for at LEAST another week. I'd like nothing better than to be proved wrong on that though.

flyman3456

Goshawk
I noticed some of you who are applying for NFO and AOC have had flight experience.

Is that a big factor in being selected from what you have heard?

It obviously doesn't hurt, but how much of a leg up have you heard that gives you next to people applying who have never had flight time?

I don't think flight time has much to do with selection. However, I added up the results from January boards. I compared selects and non-selects for DA SNA non prior E. The only non selects I looked at were those who were non selected for SNA but selected for NFO. What I ended up with was 9 selects and 5 non-selects. The selects had an average gpa of 3.38, while the non-selects also had an average 3.38. Astb scores for selects were average 7.3/7.6/7.2 58, and non selects were 6.5/7.0/6.5 58.

I didn't see any correlation between gpa and little correlation between astb and selection. However, I did notice that only one non select had flight time, while 5 out of 9 selects had flight time.

Does this mean anything? Probably not. There are so many other factors that I couldn't really look at. I do think the board looks more at the "whole person" concept. Some of the non-selects didn't make any sense. One non select had a 3.83 gpa, Aeronautics degree, 5/6/6 50, 111 hours flight time, while another non-select had 8/8/7 67 3.5 gpa, aerospace engineering, and an aero masters. Some of the selected degree's were B.A. with the lowest gpa of 2.94. I just don't see ANY correlation between any of the data thats been posted. The best I can see is a correlation between flight time and chances of being selected, and this is weak at best.

I only looked at the SNA data. There wasn't enough data to look at the NFO non-selects. I only saw 3 non selects for NFO. One was BDCP, one was prior E, and one was DA. Non had flight time. One had marginal GPA (2.4), one had marginal ASTB 5/5/5 50, and the prior E had a good looking application.

jdhvb

they definitely look at the whole person concept. I had ZERO flight experience and a non technical degree. I scored a 4/4/5 45 on the ASTB and was pro-rec'd for NFO in January. But I did have my MBA and other various leadership roles.

jtmedli

pilot
I don't think flight time has much to do with selection. However, I added up the results from January boards. I compared selects and non-selects for DA SNA non prior E. The only non selects I looked at were those who were non selected for SNA but selected for NFO. What I ended up with was 9 selects and 5 non-selects. The selects had an average gpa of 3.38, while the non-selects also had an average 3.38. Astb scores for selects were average 7.3/7.6/7.2 58, and non selects were 6.5/7.0/6.5 58.

I didn't see any correlation between gpa and little correlation between astb and selection. However, I did notice that only one non select had flight time, while 5 out of 9 selects had flight time.

Does this mean anything? Probably not. There are so many other factors that I couldn't really look at. I do think the board looks more at the "whole person" concept. Some of the non-selects didn't make any sense. One non select had a 3.83 gpa, Aeronautics degree, 5/6/6 50, 111 hours flight time, while another non-select had 8/8/7 67 3.5 gpa, aerospace engineering, and an aero masters. Some of the selected degree's were B.A. with the lowest gpa of 2.94. I just don't see ANY correlation between any of the data thats been posted. The best I can see is a correlation between flight time and chances of being selected, and this is weak at best.

I only looked at the SNA data. There wasn't enough data to look at the NFO non-selects. I only saw 3 non selects for NFO. One was BDCP, one was prior E, and one was DA. Non had flight time. One had marginal GPA (2.4), one had marginal ASTB 5/5/5 50, and the prior E had a good looking application.

I've had lab reports for random signal analysis that weren't this thorough.

Tomodachi

pilot
My guess is the board members get a "Warm fuzzy" about someone when they select them. It's not always about GPA and numbers.

nugget61

pilot
Hey what can I say? I like spreadsheets and numbers

Dang man, gotta agree with jt.
Your work seems thorough and I did the same thing when I was biting my fingers, however I don't think you have enough info yet. Such as, I like to think that the board saw I paid for PRK out of pocket and understood that as an investment I made to qualify myself to fly.
Y'all have really strong packets and it seems like the folks that fret over it the most are the locks to get in.
In short, go drink. ;)

mbraesicke

Ranger
Wonder if the majority of those who post their stats on AW get selected?

The way I see it (and what I tell myself so I can sleep at night) I think the people who are the most competitive are going to be those who do a lot of research on their program (sna, nfo, etc) in preparation for getting their kit together, astb done, etc. THAT research would inevitably lead them to this website, where i'd like to think most people who thoroughly peruse it will eventually break down and post their stats. Sooo...in my logic, the people who are posting here are those who are preparing themselves as best they can, and in turn more competitive.

Take the ASTB for example. When you think about it, there are very few people here who have less than 6's on their astb...but by definition for every 6 there is a 4, every 7 there is a 3, every 8 there is a 2...etc. As far as the ASTB goes, everyone who scores a 6 or better, by definition, is above average (for the test)...which is 5. Most people here have 6's or better, so most people here scored above average on the ASTB and are therefore more competitive.

Like I said, thats one of the many things I have to tell myself to get me through the long weeks to the results. Please save any rebuttals to this statement for after the board...so I can go on believing in it :p

ryan1234

The way I see it (and what I tell myself so I can sleep at night) I think the people who are the most competitive are going to be those who do a lot of research on their program (sna, nfo, etc) in preparation for getting their kit together, astb done, etc. THAT research would inevitably lead them to this website, where i'd like to think most people who thoroughly peruse it will eventually break down and post their stats. Sooo...in my logic, the people who are posting here are those who are preparing themselves as best they can, and in turn more competitive.

Take the ASTB for example. When you think about it, there are very few people here who have less than 6's on their astb...but by definition for every 6 there is a 4, every 7 there is a 3, every 8 there is a 2...etc. As far as the ASTB goes, everyone who scores a 6 or better, by definition, is above average (for the test)...which is 5. Most people here have 6's or better, so most people here scored above average on the ASTB and are therefore more competitive.

Like I said, thats one of the many things I have to tell myself to get me through the long weeks to the results. Please save any rebuttals to this statement for after the board...so I can go on believing in it :p

You have a great point. A lot of people on here had/have good test scores. I guess finding the number of those who posted their stats and were selected/non-selected is probably easier to get than considering how everyone stacks up against the non-AW competition.

mbraesicke

Ranger
Yeah, I guess you'd have to go through and find everyone who was on the board for a month (preferably not one with a lot of rollovers) and subtract that number from the total board select/non selects (i think there's someone on this site that gets board results) then compare them. Who knows though