• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS March '16 IDC Board

zack13usa

My goal is to be commissioned. Assuming I am going for Intel/IP/IW, am I more likely to be picked up as SWO options or straight 18-- designators for IP/IW? i.e., are SWO option candidates statistically more selected? thanks,
I assume you applied for four designators?

vabiok2295

Am finalizing package now. Can I apply for 4? I seem to recall seeing somewhere that active duty can apply for more than three, but cannot find that now.

I am EM2 SW. I have BAs in history and Psych, and a Masters in Business from Arizona State. Working on a mathematics degree to have a STEM degree. 53 OAR. 3.2 GPA. Have 4 intel O6 interviews and lors fro adm (r) and two former COs. Last eval #1 of 13 EP. P, MP, EP. DLPT record of Ukrainian Language. MOVSM.

Solid stuff. I am interested in Intel, but moreso a commission in general. Any advice on the best choice of designators to get best chance? thanks.

vabiok2295

On one of these threads you can see some of the past results, in general SWO options have billets in the single digits each year, the 2 with the highest numbers of billets would be Intel and IW. If you look at the stats you can get an idea of where you stand, but in general high GPA and tech degree is important, if I remember right the average GPA of those selected was 3.5 with 1 or 2 less than 3.0

Thank you. I saw slides on Pers-472 Facebook. Those did not specifically mention the SWO options.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you. I saw slides on Pers-472 Facebook. Those did not specifically mention the SWO options.

That was because those designators had no quotas for that board, again usually single digits, but the stats of who is selected would be in line with the stats of the other IDC designators.

vabiok2295

That was because those designators had no quotas for that board, again usually single digits, but the stats of who is selected would be in line with the stats of the other IDC designators.

Makes sense, I see 11603 604 and 605 with zero quotas. Oddly, 11604 had only 2 applicants. Thanks!

zack13usa

Am finalizing package now. Can I apply for 4? I seem to recall seeing somewhere that active duty can apply for more than three, but cannot find that now.

I am EM2 SW. I have BAs in history and Psych, and a Masters in Business from Arizona State. Working on a mathematics degree to have a STEM degree. 53 OAR. 3.2 GPA. Have 4 intel O6 interviews and lors fro adm (r) and two former COs. Last eval #1 of 13 EP. P, MP, EP. DLPT record of Ukrainian Language. MOVSM.

Solid stuff. I am interested in Intel, but moreso a commission in general. Any advice on the best choice of designators to get best chance? thanks.

Could you apply for 4? Someone I know applied for five...is that a good thing, well he wasn't selected for any

JohnH

As I begin contingency plans in case was not selected I'm looking into a second BS. I am about to apply for political science since it is a preferred major. Would it be more preferred to earn a STEM degree though? Maybe in computer science. Also I am working towards going to intelligence analyst advanced leadership course. Upon completion I will be eligible to roll my military experience and college credits into a BS in intelligence analysis through cochise college.

exNavyOffRec

As I begin contingency plans in case was not selected I'm looking into a second BS. I am about to apply for political science since it is a preferred major. Would it be more preferred to earn a STEM degree though? Maybe in computer science. Also I am working towards going to intelligence analyst advanced leadership course. Upon completion I will be eligible to roll my military experience and college credits into a BS in intelligence analysis through cochise college.

Political Science degrees are a dime a dozen, anyone can get them, I say this as a person with a degree that is also a dime a dozen.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Why another bachelors and why not a master's degree? If I were you I'd use TA/GI Bill (if possible) to work on a master's program, for both personal and professional use.

JohnH

Why another bachelors and why not a master's degree? If I were you I'd use TA/GI Bill (if possible) to work on a master's program, for both personal and professional use.
Since my major was Christian ministry I feel like I need to lay a secondary foundation to build on and earn a solid master's later. My degree is primarily a feeder into either a Masters in Theology or Divinity.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Since my major was Christian ministry I feel like I need to lay a secondary foundation to build on and earn a solid master's later. My degree is primarily a feeder into either a Masters in Theology or Divinity.

Many programs nowadays don't require having to do an additional bachelor's degree just to get into the program. I'm a poli sci major and currently working on my MBA and besides having to take an additional 2-3 stats/accounting classes I didn't have to pursue a BA in business just to pursue an MBA. I'd contact the school first, even explain that you're military and see what you need to do to get into the program of choice.

zack13usa

Many programs nowadays don't require having to do an additional bachelor's degree just to get into the program. I'm a poli sci major and currently working on my MBA and besides having to take an additional 2-3 stats/accounting classes I didn't have to pursue a BA in business just to pursue an MBA. I'd contact the school first, even explain that you're military and see what you need to do to get into the program of choice.

I concur with RUFiO181, MSc if possible; few classes might be needed to enhance your GPA and overcome the prerequisites for a STEM degree. I also recommend taking some Math i.e. Calculus 1 and 2 courses will look good on your application. Having that said, wish you luck with current application so you don't have to go through any extra effort if you were accepted ;)

JohnH

I concur with RUFiO181, MSc if possible; few classes might be needed to enhance your GPA and overcome the prerequisites for a STEM degree. I also recommend taking some Math i.e. Calculus 1 and 2 courses will look good on your application. Having that said, wish you luck with current application so you don't have to go through any extra effort if you were accepted ;)

One thing I have learned recently is that I am weak in those areas. I hate being weak there. I will be attempting to shore those areas up no matter the board results. I think I would like to become more computer savvy. That said, since I work a lot with DCGS I might work through the Army and all for a degree in ARCGIS which is a mapping and navigation computer system we use in Intel. The Navy has also recently began implementing the DCGS platform. (You better believe my experience with that system made it into my Personal Statement).