• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

M16a2 - Ar15

Screamtruth

นักมวย
What weapon system would you use? RRA? Colt? FN?

I know that this subject has been touched upon in various threads located in the AW Firearms section, but I feel that the issue warrants closer detail.

As a former Marine, I have been programmed to use and like the Colt's version of the M16A2 service rifle. I have always been, since those days on the range out at Pendelton, a fan of the rifle...........though I have had my problems in the field with the system. Numerous jams............but nothing major. I want to buy a M4 style, as a complete rifle, and have looked into various suppliers and vendors. I am an experienced shooter, but not an amorer.............so I would like the unit to function with the least amount of bench work. This rifle is a defense weapon as well as recreational, so it will not be a Safe Queen, by any means.

What are your thoughts? Price is not an issue, to an extent. I like the Rock River Arms' site, but it seems that you have to be FFL to order.

Any suggestions from fellow shooters is helpful,

Nathan

xmid

pilot
Contributor
What are your thoughts? Price is not an issue, to an extent. I like the Rock River Arms' site, but it seems that you have to be FFL to order.

You can't have a firearm mailed to your door unless you are an FFL. You can have one shipped to a local dealer and have them transfer it to you. They generally charge anywhere from $5-$35 to do this as it involves a little paper work on their end. Rock River makes awesome stuff, and they supply a couple government agencies.

Grant

What weapon system would you use? RRA? Colt? FN?

FN does not sell to the civilian market. FN does not make semi-auto AR15's, only full auto M16's. Since no machine guns manufactured after 1986 can be sold to the general public, dont expect to find any FN's.

Colts are awesome, but insanely expensive. Bushmaster, RRA, DPMS, Stag all make good stuff at reasonable prices. LMT makes good stuff too, but its a little more pricey.

Personally, I think one of the best values on the market right now is the Smith & Wesson M&P-15. I've handled several, and was impressed. Around here, they sell for about $850-$900... about the same as an RRA or Bushmaster.

I like the Rock River Arms' site, but it seems that you have to be FFL to order.

All sales, other than between two private individuals, must be processed through an FFL.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Colts are awesome, but insanely expensive.

Dude, Colt AR's suck. You may get lucky and get a good one, but their QC lately has been shit. Attention to detail things like lower reciever color not matching the upper. Its just a hodge podge of parts they throw together. The Colt of today is not the same company it was 20, 30, 50,... years ago..

[endrant/]

If you want an AR-15 the forum to go is www.ar15.com They have all the experts over there. They could answer any question you could possibly fathom about AR-15's, M-16, 20mm cannons, you name it.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
They generally charge anywhere from $5-$35 to do this as it involves a little paper work on their end.

It sometimes can cost much more than that because the FFL is punishing you for the loss of business. i.e. You could/should have bought it through him. It can really pay off to shop around for an FFL willing to receive packages for you.

Screamtruth

นักมวย
The one thing that I DID like about the RRA is the claim of 1 to 1.5 MOA at 100 yards for most of the CAR/AR's that they offer.

What is your opinion on the Wilson Combat series? They only gaurantee a 2 MOA @ 100 yards, but...............if I needed the accuracy, I would build a Screamtruth version of the M40A1. I need reliablility and function first and foremost...............and 2 MOA @ 100............is good enough for me.

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
Personally, I think one of the best values on the market right now is the Smith & Wesson M&P-15. I've handled several, and was impressed.

I'll second that. I have been fairly impressed with mine. If you want your rifle to be close to the government weapons, I think you would like it. RRA, for instance, has their own version of the selector switch, puts, a "better" trigger on their AR's, and I'm not sure if all models do, but my buddies came with a hogue grip and a heavy barrel. My S&W has the government profile barrel, the standard M-16 grip, a selector switch that is identical to any M-16A2 I've used, and the standard military trigger. Aside from the telescoping stock, shorter barrel, and S&W markings, it feels exactly like my M-16 from Quantico.

I haven't dropped it in mud, beaten it against a tree, or driven over it with a truck, but I haven't had any issues with it. Out of the box, it was already zeroed for 25m (which is pretty close at 300m as well, if I remember correctly due to the trajectory), with no front sight adjustments (it was centered flush) and me only checking to make sure that the rear sight was truly centered. Using the 25m zeroing procedure located in the M-16A2 manual from the early 80's my friend's Rock River required 9 adjustments with the front sight and several with the rear before it was hitting close to where it should have been ( and he qualified expert, so it's not like he can't shoot). That wouldn't be considered excessive by the weapons battalion in Quantico, and it probably varies by rifle, but I felt good that mine hit exactly what I wanted it to, right out of the box. It just gave me that feeling that the rifle was built well.

pat

You can't have a firearm mailed to your door unless you are an FFL.

You can mail rifles (and shotguns) through the Post Office to someone's front door, but an FFL won't mail it to anything other than an FFL.

Lawman

None
Aside from the telescoping stock, shorter barrel, and S&W markings, it feels exactly like my M-16 from Quantico.

You call that a good thing? ;)

Rock River with an A4 reciever with heavy barrel and flip up rear irons. Just over 1050 out the door at my normal store.

Attachments

• AR and USP.jpg
    AR and USP.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 109

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You can mail rifles (and shotguns) through the Post Office to someone's front door, but an FFL won't mail it to anything other than an FFL.
Not entirely true -- always exceptions with the FEDs -- think shipping to/from gunsmith or factory for repair.

pat

Both the post office by my house and the one near my dad's in Texas have allowed me to mail long guns, without much trouble. They just requested that I let them know ahead of time, and they reccommended that I send via registered mail... but did not require it.

UPS allows it too.

Grant

Both the post office by my house and the one near my dad's in Texas have allowed me to mail long guns, without much trouble. They just requested that I let them know ahead of time, and they reccommended that I send via registered mail... but did not require it.

UPS allows it too.

If you're shipping it merely as a mode of transportation, or shipping it to a gunsmith or manufacturer, yes you can legally do that.

However, the way I understand it, you cannot purchase a firearm through the mail without a FFL involved, even if it is within the same state. It must be face-to-face.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
If you're shipping it merely as a mode of transportation, or shipping it to a gunsmith or manufacturer, yes you can legally do that.

However, the way I understand it, you cannot purchase a firearm through the mail without a FFL involved, even if it is within the same state. It must be face-to-face.

^^Exactly. Shipping door to door without an FFL as a means of transfering ownership is a good way to become Tyrone's bitch. There's a reason that sites like gunbroker.com list how to transfer firearms, and you're not gonna find someone that will just mail you one. Your UPS link is for FFL's, and Government, LOE, etc.

RRA, for instance, has their own version of the selector switch, puts, a "better" trigger on their AR's, and I'm not sure if all models do, but my buddies came with a hogue grip...

All those things can be switched either by you or them. Part of the reason I enjoy building them is because I end up with exactly what I want, nothing more nothing less. If you don't like the selector switch on your RRA thats a $.99 part that can be replaced with a punch set in under a minute. Grips are easy too. The biggest thing that you need to make sure you like on the one you are buying is the barrel, because rebarreling one is a PITA. Everything else though is quick and painless.