• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

M16a2 - Ar15

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Rock River with an A4 reciever with heavy barrel and flip up rear irons. ...
Nice package .... a suggestion: lose the pictured white light, move the vertical fore-grip back a "little" and install a collapsible one instead of the rigid one (just personal preference -- works better for me), and put on a Streamlight TLR-2.

I tried one and am now sold on them -- to the tune of having @ half a dozen of them on various hardware applications. They must be gettin' more popular as their retail price has jumped @ 20% in the past 6-10 months. :)

STREAMLIGHT

Streamlight_TLR-2.jpg

Lawman

None
Nice package .... a suggestion: lose the pictured white light, move the vertical fore-grip back a "little" and install a collapsible one instead of the rigid one (just personal preference -- works better for me), and put on a Streamlight TLR-2.

I tried one and am now sold on them -- to the tune of having @ half a dozen of them on various hardware applications. They must be gettin' more popular as their retail price has jumped @ 20% in the past 6-10 months. :)

STREAMLIGHT

Streamlight_TLR-2.jpg

Its come back about 1.5" from whats in the photo since Ive had it out and played with it. Main thing was I took the typical rail guards off and put the complete rubber covers (not the rigid ones) on the bottom rail, makes for a better grip when firing from the prone and not using the battle grip. I honestly dont even use it unless Ive got the rifle stock all the way in short from a standing position. Im gonna have to check out the light though. I like the Surefire just for the touch on/off with my thumb (lit the guy trying to siphon gas up real quick).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...I like the Surefire just for the touch on/off with my thumb (lit the guy trying to siphon gas up real quick).
I think that's the main thing for me -- pistols or carbines -- the option of quick on/off or steady white light -- plus, you get the laser which is a nice "add" without the bulk or hassle of a separate unit/switch ...

Screamtruth

นักมวย
What do you think about Aimpoint sights? I am used to the standard peep hole iron sights, and I have never used Aimpoint or Ghost Rings or anything like that. What is the best way to go? Stick with the iron sights, or step up to Aimpoint?

Lawman

None
What do you think about Aimpoint sights? I am used to the standard peep hole iron sights, and I have never used Aimpoint or Ghost Rings or anything like that. What is the best way to go? Stick with the iron sights, or step up to Aimpoint?

Everybody seems to be of a one camp mindset when it comes to Red Dot sights. Some people are all about Eotech, others swear by Aimpoint, its almost like asking people which is a better truck Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. Me I like the Aimpoint. I kinda wish Id shelled out the extra cash and gotten a 2 MOA instead of a 4, but for the ranges I use the Aimpoint it really doesnt make any differnce.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I like 'em all .... if you're talkin' tactical scopes .... AIMPOINTs, ACOG's, EoTech's, Trijicon Reflex's .... and don't forget the lesser known Leupold CQT scope (OUTSTANDING, by the way) ... I have a mounted example of all of 'em and they're ALL good ... it's just a question of which one to focus on (no pun) and get really, really good with .....

Ghost Rings are GREAT for tactical shotguns.

Just my $20 worth .... :)

Screamtruth

นักมวย
I like 'em all .... if you're talkin' tactical scopes .... AIMPOINTs, ACOG's, EoTech's, Trijicon Reflex's .... and don't forget the lesser known Leupold CQT scope (OUTSTANDING, by the way) ... I have a mounted example of all of 'em and they're ALL good ... it's just a question of which one to focus on (no pun) and get really, really good with .....

Ghost Rings are GREAT for tactical shotguns.

Just my $20 worth .... :)

How effective are the Aimpoint sights out to 350 - 500 yards?
I know that a lot of the US Army guys are using the Aimpoints, but I wonder how limited they are at distance compared to iron sights.

As long as I can hit anything from 5 feet to 500 yards, accurately, I will use the Aimpoint. Otherwise, I may stick to the iron sights.

Nathan

Grant

Call me crazy, but I like iron sights.

EOTechs are nice, but I have no experience with ACOG's or Aimpoints so I cant comment on those.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
How effective are the Aimpoint sights out to 350 - 500 yards?
I know that a lot of the US Army guys are using the Aimpoints, but I wonder how limited they are at distance compared to iron sights.

As long as I can hit anything from 5 feet to 500 yards, accurately, I will use the Aimpoint. Otherwise, I may stick to the iron sights.

Nathan

From what I've read, the prevailing wisdom says infantry only needs to be able to engage targets out to 300 Meters MAX.

The Aimpoint or ACOG will do fine for this range. Interesting that the Army just bought hundreds of thousands of the Aimpoint 3x magnifier tubes to bolt on behind the Aimpoint Comp ML red dot sight!

The Marine Corps is still caught up on doing rifle marksmanship out to 500 Meters - a lot of Army types see this as silly. The Marine Corps designed the M16A2 to be a great target rifle - but I think the tactical neccesity nowadays is am M4 with an Aimpoint or ACOG optic.

I've read the Army has altogether stopped rifle qualification with iron sights - they found they could shorten recruit training.

When will the USMC give up on their notions of marksmanship?