• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

M16a2 - Ar15

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I would use something else .... probably the CQT (adjustable) or an ACOG.

A4s - I'm using a Millett 1-4x "dot in a donut" tactical sight mounted on LaRue mounts.... for USPSA 3-gun:

July302007009.jpg

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I've read the Army has altogether stopped rifle qualification with iron sights - they found they could shorten recruit training.

The Army also lets recruits use cell phones throughout bootcamp and offers "quiet encouragement" in place of "yelling". Yeah...maybe we should be cautious about embracing to much of what the Army has to offer just yet.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Not being critical of our brethren in Green - just interesting that the Army and Marine Corps have diverged philosophies on the rifle!
Yeah, I unnerstan' .... but who's always put a premium on making the rounds "count" downrange??? Army or USMC???

Marksmanship. That's why I just acquired one of these ..... :)

m70manww2.jpg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Yeah, I unnerstan' .... but who's always put a premium on making the rounds "count" downrange??? Army or USMC???

Marksmanship. That's why I just acquired one of these ..... :)

M40? Bull barrel Remington 700?

Kimber just released their new line of Tactical Rifles - which look very sweet indeed...

tactical.jpg

What kind of glass are you going to top your rifle with A4s'???

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
M40? Bull barrel Remington 700? What kind of glass are you going to top your rifle with A4s'???

Winchester pre-64 M70 in .30-06 w/ a period appropriate Unertl of power yet to be determined.... got a 10X, a 12X, and a 20X .... have not decided as of this date. Might get an 8X to be "correct" ... just don't know.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I'd hate to deal with the mirage on that 20X... Any plans on putting together a M40A3 replica A4s or are you sticking with the whitefeather stick?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'd hate to deal with the mirage on that 20X... Any plans on putting together a M40A3 replica A4s or are you sticking with the whitefeather stick?
Initially as close as possible to Gunny Hathcock's stick ... but USMC marked Unertl 8X's are very hard to come by these days ... so the other Unertls may be necessary.

The follow-on project is to ship off my Remington 700 and get back a M40
A1 or 2 or 3-something with something optics --- right now it has a Leupold Mk4 mil-dot sitting on top of it -- things may change, however.

xmid

pilot
Contributor

A1 or 2 or 3-something with something optics --- right now it has a Leupold Mk4 mil-dot sitting on top of it -- things may change, however.

I've been toying with doing an M40A3 project with my 700 PSS when it comes time to rebarrel. I'd want it to be as close to the real thing as possible though and theres no way I can drop several grand on the very limited latest gen Unertl or the Schmidt and Bender, or the US Optics... We'll see what the future holds.

Screamtruth

นักมวย
Initially as close as possible to Gunny Hathcock's stick ... but USMC marked Unertl 8X's are very hard to come by these days ... so the other Unertls may be necessary.

Have you ever played with an actual M40A1 built from the Corps? I would love to build one, but I was always told that the Unertl (SP?) scope and the H&S Precision barrel were not for sale to the civillian public..........any truth to that?

They are a really nice weapon system, and very accurate. The only thing sucks is pulling it along in a drag bag and sweating your a$$ off in the Ghillie.

Loved those rifles.

NAthan

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I was always told that the Unertl (SP?) scope and the H&S Precision barrel were not for sale to the civillian public..........any truth to that?

Nope, probably just a Semper legend... You can get both, although you will pay for it. The current scope is a USO MST100 and you can occasionally pic up USMC over-runs that are marked USMC for $2k and change. The barrels are as easy to come by as any other. GA Precision has a former USMC armorer named Eric Reid that builds a perfect replica of either an m40A1 or an M40A3. All the way down to the markings. They will leave off all GAP markings and mark it exactly as the Corps does. Couple that together with one of the USMC scopes that they can occasionally get and you have the exact same rifle down to the most minute detail.