• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotta_fly

pilot
I was talking to my uncle and he told me he's seen guys duct taped to the ceiling on his carrier, has anyone else seen this before?

I will preface my post by saying I HAVE NOT SERVED IN THE FLEET! However, I can tell you that from the training we've received in ROTC it seems like they're trying to shift away from a hazing-tolerant culture. Things like taping, blood-winging, etc. may have been tolerated in past years, but it seems like they're cracking down big time.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I can honestly say that I've never seen anyone taped to the overhead on a ship....

Taped to the shaft on a submarine? Now that's a different story.:D

mgreen121774

Does the Navy still do the "Ancient Order of the Deep" rituals when a ship crosses the equator? My grandfather told me that all they did to him was make him and his fellow sailors do push-ups and stuff while they got seawater and seaweed thrown on them. Based upon some of the much more graphic detials of becoming a "shellback"(?) from an aquaintence, I think that my grandfather was probably watering down the story for some reason.

My understanding is that becoming a member of the Ancient order of the Deep is a long-honored navy tradition. I would hate to think a new anti-hazing policy or culture would eliminate it, however awful it is to go through it at the time. :)

Trey

phrogpilot73

My grandfather told me that all they did to him was make him and his fellow sailors do push-ups and stuff while they got seawater and seaweed thrown on them.
Was your grandfather Skeeterman?!? Seriously, the link included has a number of members recounting their crossing the line experience - and will also give you a clue as to what the Skeeterman saga is.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I've seen someone duct taped to a wall, hung upside down and greased, taped to a chair, taped to their rack and zip tied to a helo, but I've never seen anyone taped to the ceiling on ship before. I'm not saying it hasn't been done. Hell, I wish we had thought of it.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Beta is basically reverse-thrust, correct? Rather, allows for change in prop pitch. They bought a training aircraft without it, knowing the length of their runways wouldn't suffice?

I'm up way too early for a college kid.

The way I heard it was that it was actually taken OUT. That makes the decision all the more asinine. Leave it to the air force.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Was your grandfather Skeeterman?!? Seriously, the link included has a number of members recounting their crossing the line experience - and will also give you a clue as to what the Skeeterman saga is.

This is a testable learning objective. You must read all 30 pages...twice. Make note cards, too.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was talking to my uncle and he told me he's seen guys duct taped to the ceiling on his carrier, has anyone else seen this before?

Good to see he told you about the very best naval aviation has to offer.

Did he provide any other tidbits of wisdom?

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I would hate to think a new anti-hazing policy or culture would eliminate it, however awful it is to go through it at the time. :)

Trey

I became a Shellback this past summer and the ship had us sign forms saying that anything that happened was voluntary and not hazing.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
This "new" antihazing culture has been around since just before I came in. They still brief the same stuff they were briefing 8 years ago which means that a lot of it is still happening. THere were some werid ass traditions among some of the communities.

Some traditions remained legit, namely shellback. The Marine NCO gauntlet didn't make it through, but...Yeah, I still have to change some of my though processes in the next 20 or so days. TBS will probably get it out of me.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
FACT (thank you, Dwight). I heard this as well. Since the T-6 lacks beta, many of the OLF's aren't long enough, so who knows how long it will be until they come up with a solution, buy the T-6's, create a syllabus, NATOPS qualify IPs, get all the pubs/FTIs and begin training studs on the Texan II. My uneducated/random ass guess is that it is going to take a while...

All but one OLF is long enough in Wing 5. They extended them back when I was a stud. T-6s come and go from these OLFs every day now, they just don't have SNAs in them. The trick will be getting them stopped for RDOs. I think there's some issue w/ solo mins for runway length, but I'm not part of the Texan brain trust here.

As for timing on the T-6, I'd recommend a search. I say that not to be a dick, but because the dates have swung a little bit over the last few years. I believe the last numbers I heard was the first one or two will show up at the end of this year or the beginning of next year, but that might not happen still. There is a group building FTIs and FWOPs now at Wing 5 and it's made up of both T-34 and T-34/T-6 IPs, so it's in good hands. No one has really figured out what the final plan is for Whiting ops, but I've heard some more salty IPs say that for a while, they did single runway ops w/ T-34s a few years ago (during the construction for the runways for the T-6), and it wasn't that bad. Take that for what it's worth.

The way I heard it was that it was actually taken OUT. That makes the decision all the more asinine. Leave it to the air force.

As Phrog said, the AF wanted it out. I don't remember/know if it was in there to begin with. The rumor I heard was that, in typical AF and Navy fashion, the Navy sent their knowledge experts (read: JOs) to the meetings because they can get the job done just fine. The AF sent it's O-5s and O-6s because, well, that's the AF way. So the AF had a lot more "weight" to throw around on requirements, thus, no Beta. Don't know if it's true, but the story makes a lot of sense to me.

The SNA Primary squadrons will be getting the T-6B, which is a slightly different animal than the T-6A. Better avionics and capabilities, however I hear those better avionics and capabilities (or more accurately, their lack of function right now) are what's holding it up and not runway lengths.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
As Phrog said, the AF wanted it out. I don't remember/know if it was in there to begin with. The rumor I heard was that, in typical AF and Navy fashion, the Navy sent their knowledge experts (read: JOs) to the meetings because they can get the job done just fine. The AF sent it's O-5s and O-6s because, well, that's the AF way. So the AF had a lot more "weight" to throw around on requirements, thus, no Beta. Don't know if it's true, but the story makes a lot of sense to me.

That sure sounds right, based on my very limited experience with the AF at VT-35, and every story my AF friends told me, though they blamed the Navy for some kind of oil system problem that made the oil press light come on doing PAs.

The SNA Primary squadrons will be getting the T-6B, which is a slightly different animal than the T-6A. Better avionics and capabilities...

Are they beefing up the tires? Kept hearing stories about T-6s with blown tires in Primary.

Status
Not open for further replies.