• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I always complain "pot of money" excuse as well. However, knowing the Marine Corps, if we were actually just given one big check by Congress to cover everything, we'd have the most kick-ass gear, but our bases would be falling apart and our Marines would live in substandard housing. Oh, wait...uhhh...

Trainwreck

Got a little captain in ya?
nothing better than having to feed the shaft seals in the engineroom of a submarine, bringing the "ovarian test tube" samples from the ELTs to the CO, or getting a cup of steam for the EDMC...ahh the fun of being an NUB.

jeff_264

Now that the F-35B is coming are the Marines going to be getting out of the tailhook business for good, or is there some other USMC tailhook a/c other than the Hornet I'm not thinking about?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never say Never

Thought the Marines didn't fly Prowlers of the boat?

It's been a few years, but we deployed with Marine Prowlers in 1986 in CVW-1 when a no notice deployment came up that turned into Operation El Dorado Canyon (Libya Strike(s) by multi-carrier force). Since we weren't due to deploy, "our" Prowlers (VAQ-135) had been operationally tasked elsewhere and VMAQ-2 provided a Prowler Det (Det Yankee that is now VMAQ-2*). Since they had literally days to FCLP and CQ, their first passes at boat were pretty sporting, but they were a welcome addition and had some features that Navy Prowlers didn't at the time.

*VMAQ-2 official history: Since its designation in 1975, VMAQ-2 has deployed detachments of EA-6A and EA-6B aircraft on a continuous basis in support of Marine forces in the Western Pacific and in support of Fleet Commanders on aircraft carriers, including lengthy deployments on the USS Midway, Nimitz, America, and Saratoga. In 1977, the squadron transitioned to the EA-6B Prowler and now operates the Improved Capability II version of the aircraft. In 1986, a detachment of the squadron participated in U.S. raids against Libya. Note: VMAQ-1 Det Xray flew off USS Midway back in the day as well.

CVW-1 in process of launching for raid on Libya in 1986

00018.jpg

US Navy Photo

VMAQ-2 legendary, but non PC patch back in the day

vmaq2-004b.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now that the F-35B is coming are the Marines going to be getting out of the tailhook business for good, or is there some other USMC tailhook a/c other than the Hornet I'm not thinking about?

I have seen some noise about the Marines buying some F-35C's, not by choice, maybe HeyJoe might know more.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have seen some noise about the Marines buying some F-35C's, not by choice, maybe HeyJoe might know more.

Since the Marines are participating in Carrier Air Wing deployments with their F/A-18 Hornets that will be replaced by F-35 Lightning IIs, N88 (then RADM Nathman) proposed that the Marines consider introducing the C variant for squadrons designated for deployment aboard carriers and that he would introduce B models for Navy expeditionary Hornet squadrons. He left that job still at an impasse with LTGEN McCorkle, but it's always been a lingering "proposal" ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.