• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Are they beefing up the tires? Kept hearing stories about T-6s with blown tires in Primary.

I don't know. I've heard people talking about solutions, but can't remember if they ever decided to do anything about it. I do remember hearing that the blowouts decreased after a while, I'd guess when the former T-34 IPs stopped flying the T-6 like a T-34.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
So, why didn't they just leave the beta in and tell the AF kids they couldn't use it? Could it really hurt? It's kinda like a tailhook on all the AF jets - they are obviously not gonna land on a carrier, but they sure as hell like it when they need the field arrest. gear. "Use BETA in case of emergency only" - there, one line in the Dash 1 (or whatever they call their version of NATOPS) then we could have kept doin things the way we do. Just sayin...

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA
Good to see he told you about the very best naval aviation has to offer.

Did he provide any other tidbits of wisdom?
um yeah actually. Like things the make the JOs or junior enlisted people due. Like get 20 feet of gibline. Something about a chronometer, exhaust wash, things of that nature. I figure if I get bogus stuff like that, I'll just disappear for a while

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
um yeah actually. Like things the make the JOs or junior enlisted people due. Like get 20 feet of gigline. Something about a chronometer, exhaust wash, things of that nature. I figure if I get bogus stuff like that, I'll just disappear for a while

Fixed it for ya. While you're at it, go get the keys to the humvee from gunny....:D

tomcatfan

I've heard of multiple departments getting involved and just making the poor bastards run from place to place.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
The worst watch is mail buoy watch... if you don't spot the mail buoy, then they give you some crappy assignment like refilling all the pneumatic fluid in the engine room, or replacing all the batteries in the sound-powered phones...

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
When I was doing my TAD time on the mess decks of the Indy I was sent to get "the key to the ice machine". I ended up with a tour of the ship like you wouldn't believe. After the first half hour I knew I was being messed with, but decided to play along. I finally showed up about 15 minutes before I was to get off duty. The chief started to bitch me out, but the first class who sent me originally admited what he did. We had a pretty good laugh about it. I got even with him later.

fudog50

The Navy and Military overall is soft. We are frickin warriors are we not?

"Hazing" is a term invented by our weak leaders over the years to describe male warrior bonding and aggressivess designed to build unit cohesion.

Lableing "hazing" on these activities is simply a layer of "CYA" that is most prevalent in our leadership and is the MAJOR reason that across the board, retention rates suck and people leave the services period.

They join expecting a warrior kickass aggressive outfit that they think will fight the current adversary only to discover that they could have been a civil servant and done what we are currently doing now, without the BS of being a continual experiment in society.

My son has more unity bonding, "hazing" experiences in his frat in college and they are not expected to go fight a war.

This is what you joined, new warriors!

I'm just riding it out till retirement. Enjoy!

phrogpilot73

The Navy and Military overall is soft. We are frickin warriors are we not?

"Hazing" is a term invented by our weak leaders over the years to describe male warrior bonding and aggressivess designed to build unit cohesion.

Lableing "hazing" on these activities is simply a layer of "CYA" that is most prevalent in our leadership and is the MAJOR reason that across the board, retention rates suck and people leave the services period.

They join expecting a warrior kickass aggressive outfit that they think will fight the current adversary only to discover that they could have been a civil servant and done what we are currently doing now, without the BS of being a continual experiment in society.

My son has more unity bonding, "hazing" experiences in his frat in college and they are not expected to go fight a war.

This is what you joined, new warriors!

I'm just riding it out till retirement. Enjoy!
I agree and disagree with your assessment. Do I think hazing should be tolerated? No. Do I think the current definition of hazing is too liberal/general? Yes.

Some traditions walk the fine line, but as you point out - build warrior bonding, unit cohesion, and morale. Pinning the blood stripe on after being promoted to Corporal is one. I still have fond memories of walking the gauntlet, then afterwards to be welcomed to the fold in the E-Club with a group of NCO's over a beer. However, I could walk afterwards. I had a friend that couldn't move his legs after walking the gauntlet. I had to drive him to the barracks, and help him walk into his room, and then do it all over again the next day. That's not what I would call "welcoming".

Of course, the pendulum has shifted so far the other way that now anyone whispers the word hazing and everyone jumps through their ass to correct it. I had to do an investigation in the Battalion when one Marine told his 1stSgt he had been hazed. He was moved to H&S Company, and I recommended punishment for the Marines involved - because based on my investigation they crossed the line. The H&S Company 1stSgt came up to me a couple of weeks later and told me that he overheard this kid saying that he really didn't like the Marine Corps or the Infantry and was merely waiting to claim he was being hazed in H&S Company "just like I did in Bravo". It pissed me off, because he worked the system.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Do I think hazing should be tolerated? No. Do I think the current definition of hazing is too liberal/general? Yes.

Spot on for the first part, and I disagree on the second part. In fact, the opposite should be the case.

The answer (IMHO), as antithetical as it sounds, is to not define hazing at all. The Man (SECDEF/CNO/CMC....whoever) should just announce:

"Commanders, I will not tolerate hazing. If you allow it in your units, you will be releived and possibly prosecuted. I will not further define hazing for you, but I will know it when I see it. So will you. You are all reasonable men entrusted with a vast amount of responsibility, so I believe that you can best determine at your level what is, and is not, hazing. If you wouldn't feel comfortable explaining it to me, then don't do it."

gaetabob

pilot
..., or replacing all the batteries in the sound-powered phones...

Although, if you want to be an even bigger smart ass, the sound powered phones do take 9v batteries (the amplifier boxes to the phones)... there's a few others out there that you can turn the tables on, but what would be the fun in giving away all the secrets to newbies with no salt?!?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I imagine that the Beta adds $4.95 in cost to each contractor inspection of the prop, making the lifecycle cost go up by $20,045 in 2008 dollars or some such. Of course, how much is the Nav going to pay to extend its runways?

tomcatfan

Although, if you want to be an even bigger smart ass, the sound powered phones do take 9v batteries (the amplifier boxes to the phones)... there's a few others out there that you can turn the tables on, but what would be the fun in giving away all the secrets to newbies with no salt?!?
I agree, unfortunately I have some secrets that were told to me, so I'll be on the look out, but can't wait to see other idiots do it :icon_mi_1

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Different pot of money.

At least that's always the answer I get when I ask why we are doing something that is clearly cheaper to do a different way.

Status
Not open for further replies.