• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think our joint carrier ops would go away before the Corps accepted 2 different versions of the JSF. I think part of the whole point of JSF for the Marines is to neck down the number of different types of aircraft in the Corps.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
Will the Navy keep active, both prowlers and growlers in the near future? If they do get rid of the prowlers in the near future, what happens to the current prowler pilots and nfo’s that operate them? Do they retrain to fly the growlers?

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Will the Navy keep active, both prowlers and growlers in the near future? If they do get rid of the prowlers in the near future, what happens to the current prowler pilots and nfo’s that operate them? Do they retrain to fly the growlers?

Navy squadrons will (and currently are) transition to the growler. As for the rest of the prowlers, they will most likely be shuffled around to those prowler squadrons that are still active. Wouldn't be surprised if the Marines got them, either.

B

Blutonski816

Since we're on the subject, are the expeditionary VAQs still flying Joint Navy/Marine/AF crews?? If so, what will happen after the Growler transition in terms of joint aircrews??

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since we're on the subject, are the expeditionary VAQs still flying Joint Navy/Marine/AF crews?? If so, what will happen after the Growler transition in terms of joint aircrews??

Exped Navy squadrons never had USMC crews, although each squadron does have three USAF ECMO types. On paper, the exped squadrons are supposed to go away after the Growler transition is complete, but the conventional wisdom is that the Navy will continue to do the exped mission. Whether that's with Prowlers or Growlers remains to be seen.

Brett

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
That's what I always say! Somehow that little tidbit eludes the people who squander our money by trying to save it.

The DoD will spend $1 Million in an effort to save $1 thousand.:icon_rage

The saying at my company.. Is spend Dollars to save Pennies... But basically the same... Glad we are are still doing good and they have $$$ to throw...

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder what an all-JSF Marine Corps will do to the Advanced T&R syllabus. Does CQ go away? From a purely fiscal/time standpoint, there would be no need to CQ Marine FW aviators if none of them are going to be tailhookers in the fleet. Things that make you go hmmm.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Ask Freddie what he was say'in 35 years ago ... then we'll talk. :)

Sure it wasn't the same then or now... That is just what the flight crew and some of my mechanic friends say... But have heard it has been going around for some time... Again.. We are still doing well, just not as well as they (stockholders) want....

smustang51

I don't exactly understand what the term's connotation is exactly. I gather that mustang is an enlisted to officer person, but why is there resistance to such a title? I've heard this question asked here and at navyocs.com as well before. Now, I'm going to OCS straight out of college so I won't be a Mustang, but it seems to me that those guys would merit much respect from moving up through the ranks like that and I feel like when I'm with them at OCS I'll give them the credit they deserve. Then again, maybe I'm missing something. Come to think of it...what is a "bull" ensign too?

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
OK, everyone's talking and complaining about being single and forced to live in the Q. I know what the BOQ is, and I've stayed in one before (Little Creek Amphib. - Norfolk for mandatory sub ball fun in my ROTC unit at VT), but...

What's so awful about living in the BOQ? I know the pay issues, and you can come out ahead if you have roommates, etc. Maybe it's just that I haven't had stellar roommate experiences in he past, but it seems like a better way to go. Plus, you get to sleep in as late as possible since you're already on base right? :confused:

Thanks in advance, I just don't want this to be one more reason the girlfriend would force me to get married prematurely :eek:(she reads AW) :D.

MasterBates

Lets see. Downsides of BOQ.

Hope you dont like guns, you won't be having them there.
You will likely be paying out of pocket for a storage unit for your stuff, unless you literally commissioned owning a car, uniforms and a playstation.
Room inspections. I got in trouble for a diet coke can left in my trash. Oh, they are unannounced.
Getting home from bars. I don't know if Pcola will let cabs on now, but if its like here and Corpus, prepare to hump it in (1.5 miles here, over 2 at Corpus) from the gate. Wasted.
Taking chicks home. If you are in her car, fuhgeaddaboutit.
They decide when you can have AC and when you can have heat. God help you if you are caught with an electric heater, even if you can see your breath in your room.

Upsides
Annoying SNAGs can't just pop in like they can when you live off base.
Short commute.
BOQs are normally stumbling distance from the O-Club.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
BOQ's are cool. :D

When I showed up in PCola ... the BOQ @ Mainside had a finer car lot than ANY high-end dealership, anywhere, anytime.

Today .... :sleep_125

Status
Not open for further replies.