• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for a female perspective on OCS

Jules_W

How many sports bras do I bring? What about razors? Any help here?

I've read that it's best to bring as many sports bras as possible, since the bare minimum is 6 on the OCS website. Razors, I'm sure one or two will do since you can just get refills/new ones at the NEX.

Here's a link to a packing list from a girl who went to Marine Corps OCS, which is probably pretty similar. Probably even more relevant now if what we've heard about no forced haircuts is true.
http://mossdaboss.blogspot.com/2011/05/unofficial-ocs-packing-list.html

Connie

The Navy OCS website says to bring sports bras, with no specific color, and other gouges I have read have said the sports bras must be white.

For those of you who have gone, do the sports bras have to be white? Or do they care if they were other colors.

Jules_W

The Navy OCS website says to bring sports bras, with no specific color, and other gouges I have read have said the sports bras must be white.

For those of you who have gone, do the sports bras have to be white? Or do they care if they were other colors.

Sorry I'm going to respond, though I don't go to OCS until November 23rd. All of my sports bras are different colors, and not a single one white. Considering there will never be any kind of inspection in which your undergarments will be examined, and that the PT shirt is yellow, I doubt this is an issue. However, I will let you know if I get my ass chewed out and sent to the NEX to get white sports bras if that does happen in a couple of months.

Connie

I go on the 21st. The only way I can see it being an issue is when the inspect the things you brought when you check in that sunday. Hopefully someone who has been will comment bc I don't want to spend a bunch of $ on white sport bras if I don't have to

Silhouette

Connie, Jules_M,
When I went through I made sure I had the 6 (or whatever number they specified) white sports bras and then brought extra of whatever color. Looking back, I'm pretty sure there was never a time it would have mattered except maybe getting some comments when they check your stuff for contraband. Just make sure you have a white bra to wear in whites. But as someone said above, pretty much anything you need is available at the NEX. Sorry this was too slow for Connie!

Jules_W

Connie, Jules_M,
When I went through I made sure I had the 6 (or whatever number they specified) white sports bras and then brought extra of whatever color. Looking back, I'm pretty sure there was never a time it would have mattered except maybe getting some comments when they check your stuff for contraband. Just make sure you have a white bra to wear in whites. But as someone said above, pretty much anything you need is available at the NEX. Sorry this was too slow for Connie!

Thank you for this information! I didn't think it would matter, and it's great to have a confirmation on this. Is a skin-tone bra okay for whites?

Silhouette

Thank you for this information! I didn't think it would matter, and it's great to have a confirmation on this. Is a skin-tone bra okay for whites?
Generally what I hear/see is white bra for whites. If you are very close to the color of a skin tone bra it would probably work; just keep in mind that whites (the undershirt for dress whites, and the actual short sleeve white shirt in summer whites) are pretty sheer, so if your skin is darker or lighter than a 'skin tone' it might stick out. This may all be a non-issue, at least while you're at OCS, because you'll be doing inspections in your winter uniforms (not whites) unless something has changed in the past two years.

Jules_W

Generally what I hear/see is white bra for whites. If you are very close to the color of a skin tone bra it would probably work; just keep in mind that whites (the undershirt for dress whites, and the actual short sleeve white shirt in summer whites) are pretty sheer, so if your skin is darker or lighter than a 'skin tone' it might stick out. This may all be a non-issue, at least while you're at OCS, because you'll be doing inspections in your winter uniforms (not whites) unless something has changed in the past two years.

Thank you very much this is really good to know.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
This may all be a non-issue, at least while you're at OCS, because you'll be doing inspections in your winter uniforms (not whites) unless something has changed in the past two years.
It was my understanding that you get inspected in the uniforms in which you will commission. Our class had 8th week inspection in summer whites and 9th week in chokers/dress whites.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
That would make sense since you have to know how to wear all of your uniforms. But I had a set of Johnny Cash's that went completely unworn for about 3 years before I finally threw them away. The only thing they touched was some starch and an iron to look good in a locker.

Reuss2305

Regarding the 'Female White T-shirts' on what items to bring, can anyone give me a tip on what exactly that means? I assume crew neck because it would be for wearing under a uniform. Did anyone really like a certain brand? Right now Old Navy has white t-shirts for $5 but it's a scoop neck. In the past I've bought packs of white men's t-shirts from Fred Meyer/Target like stores when making team shirts.

Also, I have a one piece bathing suit that's black but it has a purple stripe up each of the sides. Do I need to find an all black (or navy) one or is the one I have acceptable?

Finally, not to beat a dead horse, birth control. I'm considering getting a Mirena IUD over pills. I like the idea of not having to worry about taking anything and the potential for an absence of my period. But I've heard you can spot between periods in the first year and I don't want to ruin any clothes while I'm going through training. BC pills have never caused me to spot and reduced my period by about half but obviously I have to take it every day. Anyone go through OCS or boot camp with an IUD?

Thanks!