• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for a female perspective on OCS

Here's a question for those of you who have already been to, or are currently in, OCS. The biggest advice that I've been given thus far is to try not to stand out. However, most of the videos and photos that I've seen from OCS show maybe one girl in the class. As a female who already gets more attention than I'd like, do I have any chance of blending in, or should I just paint a target on my forehead now?

MSkinsATC

pilot
HAHA....well here is the deal, I went through OCS just over two years ago(in Pensacola), so this is not the best gouge, but I will say this. They have to put at least 2 women in each class, they wont leave you as the lone female. On the other note about a target being painted on you. Lets think about it, class of 40 and at minimum 2 women tell me who looks different and who can as you put it "blend in"...the DI's absolutely loved to pick on our females because they wanted them to be stronger than us(the males). My advice to you would be the same advice I used, do everything to the best of your ability as hard as you can and the way that you are told to do it and you wont have a problem.

If you have the attitude of not wanting to stand out you have the wrong attitude to be a tactical pilot.

Not trying to be mean but you need and want to be the best at everything and that attitude is what is going to help you survive

Just to set things straight, I have no illusions about what OCS is going to be like, and what will be required of me. I have never in my life given less than 100%. But I was basically told that everyone leaves OCS the same, and just graduating is the most important thing. When I said trying not to stand out I didn't mean selling oneself short.

Just to set things straight, I have no illusions about what OCS is going to be like, and what will be required of me. I have never in my life given less than 100%. But I was basically told that everyone leaves OCS the same, and just graduating is the most important thing. When I said trying not to stand out I didn't mean selling oneself short.

Like I said, I wasn't trying to insinuate that you are/were. But you should instead look to standout rather than blend in because when you get to a training squadron and they ask OCS, do you want them to say;

"Oh she was normal middle of the pack"

or

"She was amazing best of everything and always out front"

That is all I am trying to say. :icon_wink

caeli

Just bust your ass and you'll be fine. It's a lot harder for the DIs to single people out when they consistently perform well.

I would definitely agree with this. If you max out the PRT and can keep up with the fast group, the DIs will take notice and you'll be better off. Just give 100% all the time.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Like I said, I wasn't trying to insinuate that you are/were. But you should instead look to standout rather than blend in because when you get to a training squadron and they ask OCS, do you want them to say;

or

Well if we want to stand out at OCS, what about SERE? :eek:

S3Dude

pilot

or

Air Force may be a little different here. In the Nav, it matters exactly 0% how you do in OCS, so long as you get through. I have never heard of someone in a training squadron contacting OCS to determine how said student did as an officer candidate, just doesn't happen. Some may argue that there is a matter of lineal number and your class standing affecting that, but that's a very small point. That being said, get your sh!t squared away and you'll be fine...

Air Force may be a little different here. In the Nav, it matters exactly 0% how you do in OCS, so long as you get through. I have never heard of someone in a training squadron contacting OCS to determine how said student did as an officer candidate, just doesn't happen. Some may argue that there is a matter of lineal number and your class standing affecting that, but that's a very small point. That being said, get your sh!t squared away and you'll be fine...

See this is exactly what I've been told in the past, by multiple successful pilots who went through OCS.