• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for a female perspective on OCS

Not heading to OCS until next year, but I have a question for those of you driving up there this winter. I really want to drive, but I'm worried about having to change tires when the winter weather sets in. I definitely can't fit four tires in my MINI, so I'm not really sure what to do. How are those of you who are driving dealing with this? Thanks.

schwarti

Contributor
TF - I got along fine in the Berkshire mountains north of RI just fine without winter tires. I wouldn't worry about it. If you really are that worried, just put your snows on early.

McCPilot

SNA Final Select
I'm from Texas...... what in the world are "snow tires"??? :icon_tong

I'm in class 04-08 (Oct. 20th), the class just before yalls (Nov. 2nd.) Good luck to you all. See ya in RI!

MasterBates

You don't need snow tires in RI.

Just don't drive like a NorMexican when it snows. Give the plows a chance to clear it.

I got along fine in MA, NH, MI and NY without any snow tires for years. Mostly with 2WD pickups. If you have a RWD car or ANY pickup, some weight over the axle is key. Couple bags of quickrete doest the trick.

I did fine in Keflavik for years without snow tires, but I had a 4WD SUV, as opposed to my current FWD MINI. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't worry about the tires. I guess I should head over to the MINI forums and see what the RI residents say.... Thanks for the responses.

lacasera

Currently in a med hold pattern at API
I have a front wheel drive jetta (96) and I had no problems in Connecticut growing up. the New England states do a REALLY good job plowing and salting so the roads are in good shape. Pennsylvania on the other hand, they don't know/understand the concept of plowing or salting.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I spent a few years in Salt Lake City, and if RI is the same way, places that have snow usually have the plows out asap. I drove a front wheel drive car and normally didnt have any issues (I did slide on ice once causing some damage). Just drive slow and in the tire marks of the cars ahead of you. I might have to report there in the winter too.

fatathaland

Third of November right here.

I'm trying to figure out how to prepare for the winter as I'm from Fla and have no experience with the "real" winter. I am winter ignorant and I'm just now realizing it.

Anyone know what kind of stuff we're permitted to bring regarding winter-wear? What are YOU going to bring?

Avg low temp is around 25 degrees, avg high around 45 degrees not including wind....

Pilot411

Hi all,

I'm new to this whole Navy military deal so please be nice and bear with me!

I talked with a recruiter today about the Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program and what that entails. I am a pilot right now working to become a flight instructor here in a few months. I will graduate with a BS in aviation and would then like to go to OCS. As with anything else I am very apprehensive about it, what happens there, how hard it is, etc.

I am 5 10 and 200 pounds, working since January to get in shape and lose weight, so far so good, 10 pounds off! I have never been the most athletic person but am willing to work to get into shape and build some strength and shed more weight.

How is the Navy OCS program, how demanding is it? What are the days like, what are the training exercises like? What of academics if any are done? What lessons are done?

I won't lie, I'm obviously worried greatly about the physical aspect, however I won't be graduating in two years and have time to get into shape. Though I have never been very physically active, it is a huge draw back for me. But I really just want to know how difficult this is. I don't want to believe any Hollywood version, so can someone tell?

peachesnel

You start the day pushing and you continue to push until evening chow. You will run 1.5- 2.2 miles 3 times a week with a 3 mile run randomly thrown in (rare). Get used to sprints and bear crawls and make sure you show in within height and weight standards because that is the quickest way to roll. That and the in-PFA. Make sure you find out about knife hands. It screws a lot of people on the pushups. If you think you can cheat a little on the curl-ups, think again. Be prepared to have someone (a DI maybe?) place their foot under your shoulder blades to ensure that you are going down all the way. Make sure you can do well over the minimum for the in-PFA because your score will suck compared to what you can normally do. Good luck. Try to laugh every day.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
it broke my heart when the female candidate realized she had spent $90 to get her hair done the day before...only to have it butchered at OCS. heh heh.