• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LEO CARBINE - need input

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Going to get an LEO CAR-15 type, probably with M-4 barrel (purposely being vague -- those who "know" will understand) and I wanted any input on receivers. Not a parts gun ... but the complete package.

Colt, Rock River, Bushmaster, etc., etc., ??? I'm getting ready to "pull the trigger" on a Colt. I've got a couple of old Colts ... but no firsthand experience with the "others". I suppose in reality they are all good when it comes right down to it.

The prices for NIB seem to range from $1200-$1500.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I would go with a Bushmaster or a Rock River, Colt lost interest in the civilian market a long time ago. That being said if you can get ahold of one of the Colt M-4 LEO originally marked guns they are steadily increasing in value. Colt just don't make 'em like they used to, and you have to deal with the different sized pins which can make switching out the uppers problematic at best. I personally think that Bushy and RR build a better product.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Rock River is my recommendation, particularly if you're going to buy it already assembled. I bought one of their stripped lowers and a lower parts kit, plus a National Match two-stage trigger from them to build my varmint AR. Top notch quality stuff, the fit and finish on everything I have RRA in my AR is outstanding, and mine has been very reliable. Since Bushys and Rock Rivers are usually around the same price (from what I've seen, at least), and Colt has, as xmid said, sort of dropped off a bit, I would nab a RRA DEA model, if I could afford it!

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I would nab a RRA DEA model, if I could afford it!

I second that. Definitely high on the "cool points."

Here's a good deal on RRA's:

Rock River Arms 16" A4 car rifle, 100% factory RRA with 2 stage trigger and Wilson 1:9 twist chrome moly barrel full warrenty and accuracy guarantee (sub 1 moa!!!) $740.00 Shipped in the new BLUE case

Rock River Arms Tactical Car 16" A4 rifle, 100% factory RRA with 2 stage trigger and Wilson 1:9 twist chrome moly barrel full warrenty and accuracy guarantee (sub 1 moa!!!) Includes the Dominator or Tactical carry handle, Side sling swivel, M4 large handguards and comfortable Hogue grip $855.00 Shipped in the new BLUE case.

We can take your Visa and mastercard direct with never any additional fees. IL residents add 6.25% sales tax.

We are a PREMIER Rock River Arms dealer!

Thank you
Robert and Krista
309-534-8175
sales@rbprecision.com
www.rbprecision.com

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
My M4A4 is a rock river. Modeled it after the DEA model... different eotech and flashlight. But I am 100% satisfied with it.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why buy a Colt? There is NO reason to pay what they cost for the only non-spec receiver out there (take your ****ing oversized pins and shove em up your ass colt).

Their complete disregard of the civilian market, ridiculous pricing, and stupid non-standard machining are all big reasons to never buy a Colt lower.

Get a RRA, Bushmaster, Stag, or DPMS. A lower is a lower is a lower for the most part.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
But in this case, A4s, I would have to say that the Rock River Arms is the Escalade and the Colt is the Tahoe. At least in this day and age...this ain't my grandfather/father's (probably closer to your age) Colt we're talking about anymore. ;)

Lawman

None
I love my RRA AR. And after dealing with the M16's we have in training I appreciate it even more. Never had a problem with it functioning and Ive taken it out and beat on it quite a bit. Just put a Quadrail and surefire setup on it. Gotta stick some money away for a while and get the optics setup I want and Ill pretty much be done.

I agree with Squeeze, Colt can take a long walk for all I care. They seem to be content with doing nothing but government contracts, so Ill be content buying my identical if not superior products elsewhere.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I think perhaps you guys are confused on the Colt I'm talking about.

The Colt M4 LE 6920 is as close as you will get to the real thing and is an excellent weapon. They have only increased in price since the AWB sunset and when we have a Democrat President (again) and the AWB is re-introduced, these Military/LEO marked Colts will go through the roof in value as they will be "grandfathered" in ....

These are built by Colt Defense Industries --- not Colt Firearms Division (a.k.a. the civilian side). Colt Defense builds LEO, export, and military. Colt Firearms builds civilian.

Nothing runs like a Colt. Except an Escalade. :)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A4s - Why go with a traditional Colt AR, with all the AR probelms of direct gas operation?

H&K has fixed the "AR" series with their rod/piston operated AR upper. Yes folks, it took the Germans to fix our beloved AR series of weapons - at least that's what the trade press says.

What do you think?

http://www.hkpro.com/hk416.htm

416-10__1main.jpg

http://www.hkdefense.us/corporate/media/pdf/JanesIDR416_Oct05.pdf

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Perhaps a retarded question, but can any of these ARs be purchased by a CA citizen, for use in CA?

Lawman

None
Perhaps a retarded question, but can any of these ARs be purchased by a CA citizen, for use in CA?

This makes me think we should have a thread on CA laws and your options as a Military Member currently stationed in CA.

Then we should sticky that thread to the top of the Firearms section of the forum.