• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leaving Vietnam vs AFG

robav8r

None
Contributor
Who the hell are these random US citizens hanging around in Afghanistan? Missionaries and NGO workers?
Just a "woke" everything is great, we can make the world what we want it to be group of do gooders . . . . Oh, and their from So Cal ?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Personal accountability for risk-taking and life decisions... I grew up in the 1980s, is that now a thing of the past?

Long ago, a contractor company I worked for was trying to get into analysts to deploy to Afghanistan for 6-12 months. After learning the details, I’m like, no f-n way would I do that as a ctr: zero deployment training, no body armor, not allowed to carry a weapon (even a personal one), etc. It was just a recipe for either being helpless and useless in any situation, or just flat out breaking the rules daily if you didn’t want to be at the whim of any local with an AK.

Back to oresent day- did people forget that the whole country is still an active combat zone?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Personal accountability for risk-taking and life decisions... I grew up in the 1980s, is that now a thing of the past?

Long ago, a contractor company I worked for was trying to get into analysts to deploy to Afghanistan for 6-12 months. After learning the details, I’m like, no f-n way would I do that as a ctr: zero deployment training, no body armor, not allowed to carry a weapon (even a personal one), etc. It was just a recipe for either being helpless and useless in any situation, or just flat out breaking the rules daily if you didn’t want to be at the whim of any local with an AK.

Back to oresent day- did people forget that the whole country is still an active combat zone?
Everyone has their own risk tolerance. If you grew up there then maybe you see things differently. Or if you have a different world view than you do then maybe they don't see the risk. Or they're willing to accept the risk because of a perceived higher calling such as NGO, missionary, journalist, etc or they're just there for the adventure. And this isn't something new, there's a huge history of people going to great lengths as missionaries or to help those in need that spans millennia. I expect that some of these people will not want to be evacuated and instead will stay behind.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Everyone has their own risk tolerance. If you grew up there then maybe you see things differently. Or if you have a different world view than you do then maybe they don't see the risk. Or they're willing to accept the risk because of a perceived higher calling such as NGO, missionary, journalist, etc or they're just there for the adventure. And this isn't something new, there's a huge history of people going to great lengths as missionaries or to help those in need that spans millennia. I expect that some of these people will not want to be evacuated and instead will stay behind.
Agree on all points. Do you feel the USG owes it to them to rescue those who want to be rescued?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, I don't disagree with anything that you and @GroundPounder said but, in my head at least, that's still after the fact stuff. If someone says, "find me Steve Smith" we could figure out his cell phone ids, his credit card info, passport #, and probably pretty quickly find him in the western world provided that he's not trying to stay hidden. If he's just a guy on vacation in Paris who maybe disappeared we could probably find a trail via those methods. But can those methods be used the other way to identify folks needing evac? I'm sure you could see the traffic and make some guesses but how often are people using their AMEX in AFG? What if they have a local burner phone as opposed to the one on their Verizon account? I'm sure actual answers to this quickly end up in BEADWINDOW territory and I'm not trying to go that way.
The USG most certainly has the ability to get the info they need to pull an AMCIT's bacon out of the fire if needed, but you're correct in assuming that any more than that is getting close to BEADWINDOW territory for multiple reasons.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wink, all you need now is the daily throughput of the NEO and you can perform your arithmetic. ?
The through put is impressive. Sadly, I still think it very possible we leave some behind when we bug out on the 31st. We will see.