• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leaving Vietnam vs AFG

robav8r

None
Contributor
I just knew there was a some pics of frogs evacuating the embassy in Saigon like was posted in Kabul...........sorry for starting this.
I th
I just knew there was a some pics of frogs evacuating the embassy in Saigon like was posted in Kabul...........sorry for starting this.
I think the pics that will come in the next few days will be quite a bit worse . .

skybert

Skybert
...and don't get me started on why the PRC wouldn't immediatly take advantage of the situation to seize Taiwan. I sincerely hope we are actively deterring Xi from this. If we ever needed a Navy, its now.

If I were the Chinese leadership, I’d be blasting the videos and pics of what’s happening to Taiwan and all the pacific nations and say “the United States will abandon you,and you will be punished for any support you’ve given them”

skybert

Skybert
I literally can’t wait until the usual suspects come on here and start simping for the civilian, military, and DOD leadership in this debacle. Of course, they’ll blame Orange Man, the GOP, Fox News, Alex Berenson, and Ben Shapiro for this disaster and come up with every reason under the sun to NOT blame the very people they love and admire so much.

“I went to War College (or did JPME I online) and goshdarnit, I KNOW how things like this work! This is Trump’s fault!”
You know it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know someone, a Biden fan, who taught school in Kabul for a year. She is getting calls and emails from former students tearfully begging that she get them out. The girls she taught are now young women, with a record of having attended an International Christian school. Awfully tough.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A serious question. How do you all think the trump withdrawal plan would have differed from what we’re seeing? I never got the impression that there was a specific plan proposed aside from a target date for leaving. And no, I’m not being an apologist for the current administration. I think this was terribly managed and it’s sickening the way it is playing out.

SlickAg

pilot
A serious question. How do you all think the trump withdrawal plan would have differed from what we’re seeing? I never got the impression that there was a specific plan proposed aside from a target date for leaving. And no, I’m not being an apologist for the current administration. I think this was terribly managed and it’s sickening the way it is playing out.
A serious answer:

Difference in outcomes? Managed withdrawal versus a disastrous, shameful retreat characterized by complete and utter chaos. Excuse me, *retrograde.

We were going to leave eventually. I don’t think this was the way to do it. When this (links below) is your public messaging about the situation, this CANNOT be the end result.

“Make no mistake that we remain committed to helping the Afghan security forces and the Afghan government going forward,” Austin said. “We are doing what we said we're going to do in terms of putting the pieces in place to ensure that we can provide that support.”

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A serious answer:

Difference in outcomes? Managed withdrawal versus a disastrous, shameful retreat characterized by complete and utter chaos. Excuse me, *retrograde.

We were going to leave eventually. I don’t think this was the way to do it. When this (links below) is your public messaging about the situation, this CANNOT be the end result.

“Make no mistake that we remain committed to helping the Afghan security forces and the Afghan government going forward,” Austin said. “We are doing what we said we're going to do in terms of putting the pieces in place to ensure that we can provide that support.”

So what begins? I asked a serious question and you’re trying to turn this into a political debate. This isn’t Biden versus Trump, this is a legitimate question of how we should have managed this withdrawal. I even said I might have missed something with regards to Trump’s withdrawal plan because I didn’t see anything specifically outlined that indicated a managed withdrawal. I’m honestly asking to be educated here.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The country is going to descend into a medieval-stone age shithole and the Afghans who could have put up a fight but chose not to out of naïveté or whatever reason are going to regret their choices.

Stavrides had a sound bite where he said maybe we shouldn't have tried to mold the Afghan army like a mini me of us, but make it more like the Taliban. True in hindsight, but the hindsight for the now failed Afghan army is that we routed the Taliban, twenty years ago, and we since taught the Afghans a lot of our way of fighting and gave them all kinds of equipment. Why the Afghans would choose to face the Taliban on equal terms on their primitive warfare, well, the historians and war colleges can study that great question for the next couple decades.

There's the futility of us trying to push western democracy and our values, but the other half of it is Afghanistan has had a generation now to take advantage of the opportunity of a lifetime, and with a few exceptions they turned it down.

SlickAg

pilot
So what begins? I asked a serious question and you’re trying to turn this into a political debate. This isn’t Biden versus Trump, this is a legitimate question of how we should have managed this withdrawal. I even said I might have missed something with regards to Trump’s withdrawal plan because I didn’t see anything specifically outlined that indicated a managed withdrawal. I’m honestly asking to be educated here.
Hey dude, you’re the one who used politician’s names. My issue is with the military and intelligence leadership for not understanding that this could happen. So they either lied about it, or they were grossly incompetent. Someone needs to be held accountable.

If you want to go the political route, President Trump met with Taliban leadership and his priority seemed to be a negotiated withdrawal. Do you not remember the heat he took for negotiating with the Taliban?

The US exit from Afghanistan was a foregone conclusion. HOW that exit was going to happen, the five W’s if you will, was up in the air. Now we know. Would it have happened differently under Trump? I don’t know. I’d like to think it couldn’t be worse than what’s currently happening.

P.S. Even President Biden is blaming Trump. I mean, it’s worked for everything else so far, why not this too?

P.P.S. I deleted my “and thus it begins” comment, but yeah, newsflash: this is going to get political.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This was always going to be the outcome. If we’re looking to point fingers, Bush and his admin got us into this mess, and a long lineage of senior military leadership sustained the delusion that we were perpetually on the cusp of turning the corner. One presumes that this could have been done more gracefully, but it needed to be done.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I was today years old when I learned the State Dept had a massive air wing.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
No one knows what withdrawal would have played out under Trump. Biden has fucked it away big time and has a shameful disaster on his hands. The most shameful thing in my opinion is that we were there for 20 years. And a decade after killing bin laden in Pakistan. When I was there it was obvious that we were leaving, we weren’t fighting to win, and Afghanistan was a backward shithole that would crumble without us. We still stayed another eight years.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If we’re looking to point fingers, Bush and his admin got us into this mess, and a long lineage of senior military leadership sustained the delusion that we were perpetually on the cusp of turning the corner.
Regarding that last bit, we don't seem to have a very good historical track record of promoting folks who look at a tasker from higher and go "no chance, Paddles." It's more likely that that person gets fired, the next person steps in, and they take the message to Garcia and get the credit. Do that for 30 years and for good and bad, I'd think it starts to become second nature.