• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leaving Vietnam vs AFG

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also interesting that the Veep hasn’t made a peep for six days. I think she knows what’s up.
She can't even comment, let alone open up to questions. Besides the instinct to keep her quiet so they don't have any other statements to square with the already incoherent official line, she would be expected to comment on how women and girls will fare under the Taliban. THAT is not video you want out there.

SlickAg

pilot

SlickAg

pilot
She can't even comment, let alone open up to questions. Besides the instinct to keep her quiet so they don't have any other statements to square with the already incoherent official line, she would be expected to comment on how women and girls will fare under the Taliban. THAT is not video you want out there.
My point was that she personally wants to be as far away from all of this as humanly possible to avoid any possible splatter from the shit hitting the fan.

I was implying that she may have reason to believe that there could be a resignation or 25th Amendment action soon.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
He said we don’t have any troops in Syria.

We have 900 there.

So either he lied or he forgot.
Well, no, there are third and fourth options, to give him the benefit of the doubt:

3- they never bothered to brief him on troops in Syria.
4- he thought it may have been classified and erred on the side of caution.

SlickAg

pilot
Well, no, there are third and fourth options, to give him the benefit of the doubt:

3- they never bothered to brief him on troops in Syria.
4- he thought it may have been classified and erred on the side of caution.
I mean, sure. I suppose it’s possible, but not likely. That also doesn’t make any of it okay. Option three means they’re either withholding information from him or he doesn’t remember what he’s being told in his briefings. Option four means he isn’t aware of what his own administration is putting out or he’s not able to remember the classification level of information on which he’s being briefed. Not exactly reassuring either.

I think he probably just “forgot”. And not in like an oops I forgot my keys in the door when I unlocked it. More of a grandma is out wandering around the neighborhood looking for her puppy that ran away in 1934 sort of way.

“Despite Biden's remark, the U.S. does have approximately 900 troops in Syria. All recent reports suggest that these forces will stay in the Middle Eastern nation for the foreseeable future to combat ISIS and other extremist groups there.

Newsweek reached out to the White House for comment but did not immediately receive a response.”

SlickAg

pilot
That lady is an idiot on all things national security. I’ve never been a ground force commander either, but if you give the order to move into Kabul to bring Americans and SIV Afghans your troops are almost certainly going to incur casualties to make that happen. Let alone, if the ground force commander is authorized to make that call (maybe, maybe not). Let alone, whatever diplomatic deal or ceasefire State Dept may or may not have brokered with the Taliban to preserve our ability to operate safely IVO HKIA. So yeah, lady, stay in your lane (apprently actress?) and let the commander on the ground do their job.
View attachment 32159
So the Brits negotiated a separate deal? Also, the Brits aren’t stupid, so they’re clearly willing to take casualties to effect their evacuation. As for OUR diplomatic deal, I guess we DO negotiate with terrorists now? Although, I guess they can’t be terrorists if they have a Twitter account, right? Because the literal insurrection they just pulled off is nowhere near as bad as January 6th.

She’s not trying to make tactical decisions. She’s a far-leftist trying to come to grips with the fact that her beloved Biden is doing nothing right now, and it’s not a good look for him.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The strategic decision that transforming Afghanistan into a modern, democratic nation-state so as to prevent it from being host to terrorist organizations that could plot 9/11 style attacks was conceived by the Bush administration.
This problem was solved by installing locked doors to access cockpits on commercial aircraft.

Afghanistan has had the structure and processes in place to self-govern for over a decade. We're never going to fix the fact that the people who live there prefer a politically inconvenient ideology.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now the plan to make it a liberal democracy I agree was rather naive, but a goal to stabilize it and lay waste to the terrorist forces there I do not think was.
On the first point, we agree. Because the policy didn’t stop at just kill terrorists, that’s where we went astray. 100 percent on the Bush admin there. I’ve been listening to a lot of post-mortems over the last few days from NatSec folks from across the spectrum. Let’s also not forget the significant impact of starting another major, higher priority conflict next door in 2004. Setting aside the myriad reasons that move was a disastrous policy blunder, it diverted a lot of the resources from that effort, crippling it further. So, let’s review… Bush admin sets out on an impossible task, then shoots themselves in the foot by starting a second war. Tell me again how this isn’t the Bush administration’s fault?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
US-led regime change (or regime restoration) via military intervention hasn’t worked very well in the past 40 years. (Iraq 03 is too soon to tell.) The losses tended to be bigger and more costly, and some of the wins barely register on Americans’ radar.

Worked out okDidn’t work out well
Uganda 11
Serbia 99
Haiti 95
Kuwait 91
Panama 89
Grenada 83
Syria 13
Libya 11
Afghanistan 01
Somalia 93
Lebanon 83

We’ve actually done pretty well in the nonmilitary (i.e. diplomatic, informational, economic) arena though, pulling in a dozem new NATO members and stabilizing Western Europe for the most part. Although this ticked off Russia and has prompted them to play hardball in Georgia, Ukraine, Belarus, and orher places.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whatever one thinks of her, why would the VP comment on this? Not really her role. How many times did Walter Mondale comment publicly about the Iran hostage crisis before he started running for President?