• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kneeboards For New PCL's

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I was glancing at one of the new ones yesterday. I did like how the charts and graphs were larger and grouped togather instead of small and on the backs of random pages in the old one. One thing i found different (and maybe wouldnt be a fan of) was the order of the EPs... Where the old one seems to have some sort of flow that seemed to make sense (first ground EPs, then takeoff EPs then inflight EPs) the new one started off with Landing EPs (if i remember correctly) and the order seemed to be choppy.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
ChuckMK23 said:
sidenote - on the V-22 aen't all the checklists displayed on the MFD's? That's a new mindset.

Can't speak for the Death Tra... errr... Osprey... but in the Rhino and the Baby Hornet, only the takeoff and landing checks are brought up on the MFDs (called DDIs for us, but same). Takeoff checks are challenge-action-reply initiated by the backseat. Landing checks are verbalized individually by pilot and WSO.

Otherwise everything is done from memory (though I have my own acronyms and habit patterns to think it through...).

I think nobody would disagree that you should be well-versed in the order in which things should go... and if your PCL falls into the well, you should still be able to complete them. For EPs, know the boldface cold, but no-sh!t know the follow-on steps and understand why you're doing each and every step. NATOPS doesn't replace common sense... compound emergencies make that tough.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Can't speak for the Death Tra... errr... Osprey... but in the Rhino and the Baby Hornet, only the takeoff and landing checks are brought up on the MFDs (called DDIs for us, but same). Takeoff checks are challenge-action-reply initiated by the backseat. Landing checks are verbalized individually by pilot and WSO.

Otherwise everything is done from memory (though I have my own acronyms and habit patterns to think it through...).

I think nobody would disagree that you should be well-versed in the order in which things should go... and if your PCL falls into the well, you should still be able to complete them. For EPs, know the boldface cold, but no-sh!t know the follow-on steps and understand why you're doing each and every step. NATOPS doesn't replace common sense... compound emergencies make that tough.
I'd be interested in taking a gander at the SH EPs as a means of comparison with some of the notoriously long and complicated Grumman product EPs. God bless the Iron Works, but they sure didn't design these things with ease of use in mind. :D

Brett

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Fly Navy said:
...but read the posts from the TACAIR types (Fleet types)... it's a different world than helo world. I don't have the experience to tell you why, I just know it is.
So are there starred memory items in the TACAIR PCLs or is everything considered to be a memory item? Is this one of those "We don't need no stinking checklists" things or have you actually heard a STAN officer in an AOM say that pilots should not use their checklists in their PCLs? I guess I was completely mislead. I was under the impression that checklists were not to be memorized. I understand about the "yanking and banking" thing, but how much of that are you doing before engine start?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sly1978 said:
So are there starred memory items in the TACAIR PCLs or is everything considered to be a memory item? Is this one of those "We don't need no stinking checklists" things or have you actually heard a STAN officer in an AOM say that pilots should not use their checklists in their PCLs? I guess I was completely mislead. I was under the impression that checklists were not to be memorized. I understand about the "yanking and banking" thing, but how much of that are you doing before engine start?

You're not reading what was in the thread... at least in TW-1, we have our checklists in a "blue brains" format that is on our kneeboards. We don't pull out the PCL for our normal checklists, ever. Most of the checklist is done from memory, no reading "challenge-response" (except for takeoff and landing checks), you'd burn half a bag of gas if you did that for the entire checklist. You have the condensed checklist on your kneeboard open to crosscheck to make sure you didn't miss anything. I ALWAYS give my checklist a once over before leaving marshall, but I barely look at it at all doing the start checks, etc. That's how it is done here, and judging from the Fleet TACAIR responses that's how it is done there too. I'm reasonably fast starting up.... most students are, you get good at it.... IPs are lightning fast.

Different worlds, different procedures, like Brett said.