• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

July Boards 2010

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
NRD CO (former, he's been moved up in the chain and is now working for the RDML in charge of Navy Recruiting Command) says that FY10 is full for GENOFF, and FY11 almost full!

So, uhm. Yeah. GET YOUR PACKAGES AIRTIGHT AND IN NOW.

james23

NRD CO (former, he's been moved up in the chain and is now working for the RDML in charge of Navy Recruiting Command) says that FY10 is full for GENOFF, and FY11 almost full!

So, uhm. Yeah. GET YOUR PACKAGES AIRTIGHT AND IN NOW.

If I am applying for BDCP SNA and get accepted this fiscal year (2010) or next (2011), and I graduate in 2012, does that mean I am in for fiscal year 2012 or am I in for fiscal 2010? Sorry if this is a little confusing.

Thanks in advance guys

bwh06b

FS SNA
Seafort,

So, when did he tell you that there would be another board? And, according to my recruiter I can't turn my package in for the September board until August or he said they aren't going to look at it.

bwh06b

FS SNA
Yeah, if you don't mind please ask him. Also ask him if I should be able to go ahead and turn my package in now or have to wait until August if there is not going to be a board until September. Thanks.

Seafort

The answer it seems is, if I understand correctly, there are boards, just accession numbers are minuscule compared to other months. Or as he says, "GENOFF (SWO, Pilot, NFO) is all being pushed off to the right."

Face it folks, economy sucks, pipelines are overmanned, retention is high.... They're looking for staff, intel, supp, nuke...

aukonak

I was just told that, like others have said, boards are still selecting SNAs but the backlog is causing wait times of up to 6-7 months to even attend OCS. Guys selected in November haven't even shipped yet.

boogerbrain

Well, retook the ASTB test today. Didn't do much better my second time around (OAR 48, 5,6,5) even though I studied quite a bit (as recommended by others on this board I used this website as a study guide:http://www.navy-officer.com/astb.html). Might pick up a study book for my last chance at the ASTB test. The link above gave me much confidence before my second chance at the ASTB test, since I was getting a majority of the questions on the study tests correct, but some of the questions weren't covered by the study guide. Oh well..., got one more shot at the ASTB test, going to study like crazy (however, I'll probably resubmit my packet with my second ASTB score just to see if it is good enough to get into SWO).
Talked with my new OR, he said my score probably wasn't enough of an improvment to resubmit my packet for the July boards (but he's going to talk with the processor) so I'm going to have to wait the six month period. I discussed going enlisted with the OR. He encouraged me to talk with a recruiter. I was told that if I pass MEPS (commissioning physical won't cover the enlisted physical) I can start out as an E3 since I am a college graduate. Perhaps it will be easier to apply for OCS from the inside than as a civilian.
Concerning the July boards, I asked a couple of the ORs in the office, and as far as they knew none of the July boards are canceled.

jph

boogerbrain,

By all means, if you want to enlist, then enlist, but it sounds like you definitely want to get into OCS and enter the Navy as an officer. So, I say, don't give up just yet. Reread every ASTB thread in its entirety. Whenever a link is posted, check it out, and if it works, bookmark it. Anytime someone notes a specific question, copy it down. I won't launch into too much advice on the ASTB since this isn't an ASTB thread, but looking at your score, I'll only make one quick recommendation (I don't want to hijack this thread): read the FAA Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. Devour it; it will greatly improve your scores. Don't give up.

Seafort

I have a 52 5/6/5 and was told I was good to go. But then, it's a "whole person" thing, so perhaps other things about my package allow for this.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I'll only make one quick recommendation (I don't want to hijack this thread): read the FAA Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. Devour it; it will greatly improve your scores. Don't give up.

He needs to be worried about the OAR aspect of the ASTB. The boards may look at the other scores but the first three parts of the ASTB is what he needs to study on to improve his scores for the OAR. Basically the math, mechanical, and reading. The OAR is the only thing required for SWO. Studying the FAA handbook will help with his AQR, PFAR, FOFAR scores which again is not what he should really be concentrating on.

Boogerbrain: As JPH said go back through the ASTB section and ask questions about theory if you don't understand why something works out the way it does. Keep pushing and you will be fine. GOOD LUCK!

Seafort

Is there a significant difference between 48 and 52? Mathematically, they would appear very close, but... I don't know?

jph

The OAR is the only thing required for SWO.

twobecrazy is right; if you only want to do SWO, then ignore what I said about the FAA handbook and focus on the first three sections (math, reading, mechanical), but since you said "just to see if it is good enough to get into SWO" I got the impression you are applying to SWO only if aviation doesn't work out. Tailor your study habits accordingly I suppose.

As far as a significant difference between 48 and 52 ... I don't think there really is a huge difference. From previous board results, the whole person concept appears to be legitimate. So, a high OAR is by no means a guarantee (doesn't hurt though, that's for sure).

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
Mathematically, no. But then the same argument can be said of the LSAT (Which scores vary from 135 - 170 and those few points make the difference), the GRE, MCAT, GMAT...see a trend? I believe that the difference is that you break a 50. Breaking 60 puts you in a higher category...so on and so forth.

Seafort

Okay, that makes sense. I've taken the GRE, and am aware of how the ranges work.