• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

July Boards 2010

boogerbrain

Thanks guys for the encouragement. After I saw my score yesterday I almost broke into tears I was so damn frustrated (of course that would probably freak out the recruiter). SWO is my first choice; I wear glasses so aviation is not an option (and even if I didn't wear glasses I have no desire to be an aviator; I'd probably give BUD/s a shot however...but I digress).
I don't blame the Navy, naturally I understand we are in a bad economy, but things just seem bleak. I was on www.usnavyocs.org a few days ago looking at the stats of those who were accepted for SWO just a few years ago. My packet in comparison is a bit better than those accepted from a few years ago...but now I'm competiting against a much more competitive group of college grads.
I could go Army (though cheering for the Black Knights the first Saturday of December is strictly prohibited in my household) or Marines but I just feel the Navy is what suites me best.
I don't think I can resubmit my packet for another four months (October), and I have to wait another three months (September) until I can retake the ASTB (my last shot). I'll probably call the enlisted recruiter Monday just to see what my options are as an enlisted sailor.

boogerbrain

Is there a significant difference between 48 and 52? Mathematically, they would appear very close, but... I don't know?

Seafort
I read your stats and here are mine:
*ASTB: 48 5/6/5
*Schooling: George Mason University. BA History with a minor in Mandarin, Chinese (I am trying to contact a dean at GMU because I now believe they offer Chinese as a major; I have enough credits for the major I just graduated a semester before they offered it. Perhaps the dean would allow me to add this degree.). 3.55 GPA out of 4.0
*LORS: Army 0-6, 2 Air Force 0-6, Marine 0-4, History Professor (who taught my senior thesis course, and thus read and graded my senior thesis paper titled "Pope Pius XII and the Descendants of Jacob"), Chinese Professor, and an enlisted sailor retired from the Coast Guard.
*No prior criminal record (pulled over only once for expired tags; judge dropped the ticket).
*No formal community service, but I do help around my father's church (yard work and such); also helped elderly neighbors shovel their drive-ways during this past winter. As you may recall, D.C. was hit by three massive snow storms. Wasn't paid and wasn't even asked really...just finished my drive-way and was bored so I walked over and started on their's.

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
Assuming you're going for Navy, then at least one Naval officer LOR might be good. I've been told that the board really looks for the comment "WOULD BE AN ASSET TO MY WARDROOM," "NEEDS TO BE LEADING MY SAILORS NOW" kinda stuff. That you have senior officers from any service is great, but they can't really say they'd want you in their wardroom, the best they could say is that they want you in whatever the USAF or USMC wardroom equivalent is. Here's what the XO (O-5) wrote:

SEAFORT IS THE KIND OF PERSON WE NEED MORE OF IN THE OFFICER RANKS.

MATURE AND DEPENDABLE, HE IS A HIGHLY MOTIVATED CANDIDATE THAT HAS PROVEN HE HAS WHAT IT TAKES TO LEAD SAILORS IN TODAY'S NAVY.

I HAVE NEVER MET ANYONE WITH THE SELF DRIVE, DETERMINATION AND INITIATIVE THAT SEAFORT POSSESSES. HE WILL EXCEL AT ANY TASK OR MISSION AT ANY LEVEL IN THE NAVY.

I WOULD PROUDLY WELCOME SEAFORT INTO MY WARDROOM. EXACTLY THE PERSON I NEED LEADING MY CREW.

SELECT HIM NOW!!!!!!!!!!

I think the exclamation points were a bit much, but my other LORs were very similar. Maybe not quite so... exuberant. But then, the XO is definitely a character.

james23

Assuming you're going for Navy, then at least one Naval officer LOR might be good. I've been told that the board really looks for the comment "WOULD BE AN ASSET TO MY WARDROOM," "NEEDS TO BE LEADING MY SAILORS NOW" kinda stuff. That you have senior officers from any service is great, but they can't really say they'd want you in their wardroom, the best they could say is that they want you in whatever the USAF or USMC wardroom equivalent is. Here's what the XO (O-5) wrote:

I think the exclamation points were a bit much, but my other LORs were very similar. Maybe not quite so... exuberant. But then, the XO is definitely a character.

Wow, that is convincing though. I wish I had more military officers that can write me letters...

boogerbrain

Seafort
I should say the last post I wrote is how my packet would look if I submitted it today. I had less LORs in my first one and my OAR score was a 44 (you can see my stats on "April Boards" on page 7, I believe, if you wish). Although my father is a reited Commander, I don't know too many naval officers (my father hasn't been on a ship for over a decade). But since I must wait until October to resubmit I will see if I can find one or two.

Seafort

Try to see if you can get an Admiral. Remember, I just asked. The Admiral didn't know me, we had no history. I just asked. It shows passion, drive, resourcefulness, and the willingness to take risk and show initiative. All things valued in a Naval Officer.

I was just informed by my OR that he was informed by his CO that I'm a high profile candidate because the O-10 interviewer has "expressed interest" in seeing my application is handled "properly."

The worst the flag officer can say is, "No."

boogerbrain

Try to see if you can get an Admiral. Remember, I just asked. The Admiral didn't know me, we had no history. I just asked. It shows passion, drive, resourcefulness, and the willingness to take risk and show initiative. All things valued in a Naval Officer.

I was just informed by my OR that he was informed by his CO that I'm a high profile candidate because the O-10 interviewer has "expressed interest" in seeing my application is handled "properly."

The worst the flag officer can say is, "No."

Alright, I'll give it a shot. If I can't locate any contact information, I'll ask how you contacted the admiral who interviewed you. Luckily I'm in the D.C. area, so a number of admirals should be working at the Pentagon.

Seafort

...and bad news people. Word just came down unambiguously. NFO/SNA boards are gone for the rest of the year. SWO only.

Sorry guys. I know this is going to hurt.

Seafort

Most likely both, because there are already FY11 accessions. Until the backlog gets managed, we may not see NFO SNA boards until next calendar year.

Sorry guys. This sucks.

Seafort

Yes, the good news, SWO boards are still affected (less spots), but not stopped.