• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

July Boards 2010

bwh06b

FS SNA
Hey as far as the FY2011 goes, FY starts in October, but selection for FY11 started back in March, since numbers are based on when someone comissions, not when they are selected, so now versus October won't make much of a difference outside of the normal who you are against at the board.

Lucy,

This is where I have been a little confused. My recruiter told me that the numbers count for whichever fiscal year you are selected in, not whenever you actually commission. When he told me this I questioned him further because I had already read on this forum a few different times that it only counts for whichever FY you would complete OCS during, but he continued to tell me that if I were selected during the July boards I would be a part of FY2010.

Lucy

bwh06b-Nope, at least as according to my recruiter/this forum/the usnavyocs.com forum. Maybe you count for his numbers? From what I understand they don't count who is selected due to people not getting Final Selects, dropping before OCS, or dropping during OCS. This would be a very ineffective way to count because the numbers change so much between those factors. As far as questioning further and getting the same answers, I too experienced this in other application areas, and later found that my original understanding was correct, but the information was rather new. The recruiters job is provide basic information and act as a messenger of sorts. It is your processor who is more likely to have the best answers. However, whether you are in FY10 or FY11 it doesn't make too much of a difference. We all have to remember most recruiters have been doing for a 3 yr term at max (in most cases), and it is very likely most of thier infomation is based on what others have said, not always the fine print. Our job to figure that out. Best of Luck!

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Well guys, I got the call today that my packet didn't make it in to the June board. The good news, my packet will be making it in for the July board.

My stats are as follows:

Currently enlisted in the Army Reserve as a Staff Sergeant
Applying for BDCP SNA
ASTB: 7/8/8
OAR: 58
ASVAB: 98 (percentile)
GPA: 3.0
Degree: BS Technology Management - Aviation Core with an AS of Airway Science - Professional Pilot
Flight Experience: Commercial Pilot Certificate, working on my Multi Engine rating now

Letters of Recommendation:
-Dean of my college
-My academic advisor, who is a retired Army pilot
-A former commanding officer of mine, a Captain
-My current commanding officer, also a Captain
-Two officer interviews with a Lieutenant Commander and a Commander

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
Aiming for this as well:

26/M
GPA: 3.08, BA in English
ASTB: 5/6/5 52
SWO (NFO is frozen?)

I was an NROTC midshipman all the way up to my 1/C year. Had a bad semester, and fell apart right before commissioning. DoRed. Fixed myself, got rid of student debt, on my third year as a Junior High School English teacher. Great evaluations. NROTC CO supportive of my decision to try again.

LoRs:

- Current Employer
- Two Former Employers
- Navy O-5, new XO at my NROTC unit
- Navy O-4
- 2 Navy O-3s
- 2 Navy O-2s

Officer Community Interviewer (SWO) O-10.

Lots of various Academic Awards over the course of my education. Graduate publications in Philosophy. Second language skills (Japanese), various organisations...

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
Welcome to the party Seafort. Your suspicions about NFO are correct. I've been informed that there will be no new NFO boards for FY10 or FY11. Granted, things are always subject to change, but that's the word right now. If you don't mind me asking, where did you do your undergrad work at?

Seafort

That 3.08 is a combination of three universities, but I was in the NROTC unit at University of Texas at Austin.

bwh06b

FS SNA
Where are you guys getting your information about NFO being closed out for the rest of FY2010 and potentially FY11? I talked to my OR out in Dallas earlier this afternoon and he told me that he had heard no such word passed down to anyone in their office. Thanks.

Seafort

Press release, Navy Times, scuttlebutt. They all say that SNA and SNFO spots will have be cut down unless about half of the current JOs waiting for slots transfer to other communities. If the slots are not freed up, then accession numbers will be cut even more.

I've also been told that FY10 is pretty much over, and that comes from the O-10 who is my interviewer.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
Great aircraft.. probably my favorite light twin - really a finger tip airplane. Good luck with your add on.

It really is a wonderful aircraft. So many people are stuck doing their training in a Duchess or a Seminole. . .or worse, Aztec/Apache. The Baron really is a wonderful training platform. It's a rocket, and it's SE handling/performance characteristics aren't bad at all. At least I hear that they aren't as bad as some others.

Seafort

I put down NFO anyhow. What the hell. If I get SWO, I'm going take it. I know it isn't what Air Warriors wants to hear, but being a Naval Officer is more important to me than being an aviator. If it wasn't, I'd be putting in apps to the USMC, the USAF, and the USA. Instead, I'm Navy all the way.

Lucy

FY2010 ends Aug 31 so ya, it's all but over. And hey, I am not going for NFO, but according to the fleet processor on usnavyocs.com, this is not the case, although I have seen it stated in multiple places. The backlog is very true though so select percentages are sure to be way down and it wouldn't be surprising if boards got put off, just haven't as of yet.

and an O-10, that is pretty damn impressive.