• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Joining a foreign military?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry to you guys if I appear to be complaining, or arguing I would call it being critical and debating, after all it is an extra-curricular of mine... I'm just saying that it is my opinion that the USCG academy system saves a lot of bother for all parties!

Okay, you made your point, now let it go.

At some point it isn't being critical or debating anymore, it is just being a pain in the ass.

jacks

Meh point taken :p
Anyone know what kind of standard is expected for those NROTC scholarships? Always wanted to study history in Yale :)

Renegade One

None
I believe all Jews are considered Isriali citizens if they choose to be.....might have changed. Did you fly wih D-Bear? I met him a few times when I was doing time at JSC. Good guy.
I wasn't talking about D-Bear in my missive, but yes, I did fly with him.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Anyone know what kind of standard is expected for . . . . . . .

You are being incredibly irritating Go away for awhile and spend some time evaluating what has been offered to you. Also, you may want to ponder the "Gold Mine" of expertise on this board including many that are still in uniform and influence Naval Aviation every day . . . . . . .

phrogpilot73

This comes to mind:
Crayons.jpg

Why does USNA, USAFA, USMA and USMMA require a nomination? I'd guess it's to guarantee that students from ALL 50 states and territories are represented. Or maybe it's because it's "politicized". I've gone through the nomination process, and it's not politicized at all - as previously mentioned. Don't know why USCGA doesn't do it. You're out of your league.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Meh point taken :p
Anyone know what kind of standard is expected for those NROTC scholarships? Always wanted to study history in Yale :)

A high one. And unless things have changed recently, Penn, Cornell, and Harvard (crosstown with MIT) are the only Ivies with NROTC.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Back to the original point. Unless you're happy being in the Irish military as your end state, I wouldn't recommend it. There have to be other venues there for leadership/volunteering/sports/other noteworthy activities. If you want weapons training, you'll get it when and if you get in the US military.

I'm holding the French Foreign Legion out as an option if I ever have to flee felony charges, but that's not plan A. ;)

jacks

A high one. And unless things have changed recently, Penn, Cornell, and Harvard (crosstown with MIT) are the only Ivies with NROTC.
Nope Yale got a unit a few years back :)
Back to the original point. Unless you're happy being in the Irish military as your end state, I wouldn't recommend it. There have to be other venues there for leadership/volunteering/sports/other noteworthy activities. If you want weapons training, you'll get it when and if you get in the US military.

I'm holding the French Foreign Legion out as an option if I ever have to flee felony charges, but that's not plan A. ;)
Ok, I'll try and do those :)
I know an ex legion guy actually.. they were absolutely crazy in the gulf apparently xD

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
I knew a mid at USNA who was an Irish (Naval Academy of some sort?) exchange student who crossed over and got a US commission. Weird circumstances involved. It needed approval from some big whigs in the five sided wind tunnel if I recall correctly. It might have even went into the congressional arena as well. If you want a taste of how much an administrative ass pain the DoN can put on you at once by all means just join the Irish boy scouts or whatever plan you had.

Also, for future reference jackoff, anytime you tell somebody to stop making fun of you about a certain topic, expect to get shit on about 10 times more because you asked for mercy. I would clown on you, but I don't have any Irish jokes.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
It's hard to imagine this conversation going down like this without the internet. I have a feeling a 17(ish) year old kid would better consider his responses in person with the people with decades of experience offering advice here.

jacks

Irish naval college a cadet no doubt. Interesting way of getting a commission, I considered doing that: trying to join the cadets and going over to the U.S on exchange. And to reply to your comment treetop flyer, no I'd pretty much be happy to complain and be critical of procedure if warranted in person, I've discussed Irish Defence forces recruitment with pretty much everyone from a private to a brigadier general, I have no problem discussing issues just as long as people focus on them as opposed to talking shit about where I may or may not be from or my age (which shouldn't matter anyway provided I have something to discuss). I've also consulted with some academics and international military officers and they did raise an eyebrow when I mentioned Naval Academy entry required a political nomination as well as being academically and athletically proficient. This process doesn't mean I won't apply though, I've always wanted to serve my country particularily in Naval Aviation.

jacks

Oh and guys thanks, there is a good bit of advice posted here on various ways of commissioning, I'm strongly considering the USMMA, or Yale (NROTC scholarship or BDCP).

Status
Not open for further replies.