• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Joining a foreign military?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogpilot73

I've also consulted with some academics and international military officers and they did raise an eyebrow when I mentioned Naval Academy entry required a political nomination as well as being academically and athletically proficient.
Seriously? I don't give a shit if an international military officer has a problem with the way we select candidates for the United States Naval Academy. And neither should you. Otherwise, I'll start pointing out how fucked up their programs are.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But it's the internet. It doesn't count. Or so I've been told.

Jacks, you need to calibrate yourself. AW isn't just some random obscure web board. People up to and including admirals have been known to post here, such as the Chief of Naval Air Training at one point, and I know for a fact that many more lurk. My CO in P'cola brought up some of my AW posts (in a positive way) during a fitrep debrief. I would be very surprised if there aren't some Academy Admissions guys who look into threads like this. Your file will stick out like a sore thumb, unless there's a lot of guys with 'Irish coast guard' on their application. You really want the first thing an Admissions guy thinks upon reading your application to be, "Oh this must be that asshole Jacks from AW"?

You're talking like an arrogant, entitled kid to a bunch of mid-grade-to-senior Navy and Marine officers who are trying to give you some solid gouge. The only factor in your favor is that we get a lot of arrogant, entitled high school kids posting on here, so if you disappear quietly, you'll probably be forgotten.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I have no problem discussing issues just as long as people focus on them as opposed to talking shit about where I may or may not be from or my age (which shouldn't matter anyway provided I have something to discuss). I've also consulted with some academics and international military officers and they did raise an eyebrow when I mentioned Naval Academy entry required a political nomination as well as being academically and athletically proficient.

So when you discussed that topic and foreigners and got them to raise their eyebrows did they realize you don't know what you're talking about? Maybe it should tell you something that when you "discussed" it with people who do know what they are talking about nobody raised an eyebrow. You can continue to be combative and have a rough road ahead, or you can trust us that you (as a 16 or 17 year old boy) don't know dick. Fortunately you are a long, long way off from aviation so you will have some time to figure out how much you don't know, and how ridiculous you look arguing otherwise.

jacks

But it's the internet. It doesn't count. Or so I've been told.

Jacks, you need to calibrate yourself. AW isn't just some random obscure web board. People up to and including admirals have been known to post here, such as the Chief of Naval Air Training at one point, and I know for a fact that many more lurk. My CO in P'cola brought up some of my AW posts (in a positive way) during a fitrep debrief. I would be very surprised if there aren't some Academy Admissions guys who look into threads like this. Your file will stick out like a sore thumb, unless there's a lot of guys with 'Irish coast guard' on their application. You really want the first thing an Admissions guy thinks upon reading your application to be, "Oh this must be that asshole Jacks from AW"?

You're talking like an arrogant, entitled kid to a bunch of mid-grade-to-senior Navy and Marine officers who are trying to give you some solid gouge. The only factor in your favor is that we get a lot of arrogant, entitled high school kids posting on here, so if you disappear quietly, you'll probably be forgotten.

I'm not trying to be arrogant to anyone that's why I'm consistently thanking you guys for advice and I really appreciate it. I don't think just because I disagree with some processes it makes me an "asshole", obviously you guys are entitled to your opinion, but generally speaking most militaries try to train articulate and capable military officers who seek to change and improve systems if there is room for it as opposed to discourage recruitment. I'm taking in everything that's said here and people that have constructive things to say I appreciate it, like the gent that mentioned the officer who joined the IAF, and the guy that transferred from the Irish Navy those are some real events which were retold and could potentially be of use to me and others in my position.
I'm hardly entitled considering I have absolutely zero funds to go to college without the Navy's help.

There's a nice programme with the Irish navy I just discovered by the way, $25,000 a year while you attend college. :)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And you've just demonstrated you also don't understand the meaning of "entitled". For example, a kid lecturing active and retired Navy officers on how militaries train their officers and what qualities they should have would probably be considered entitled.

You really don't seem to be picking up on something here: you can have an opinion, but when you clearly and repeatedly demonstrate that opinion is not based in any knowledge or experience, no one gives a shit. Has no one ever told you when you're talking out your ass before?

Dude, just go join the Defence Forces. Clearly they agree with all your opinions. Quit wasting our time here.

jacks

And you've just demonstrated you also don't understand the meaning of "entitled". For example, a kid lecturing active and retired Navy officers on how militaries train their officers and what qualities they should have would probably be considered entitled.

You really don't seem to be picking up on something here: you can have an opinion, but when you clearly and repeatedly demonstrate that opinion is not based in any knowledge or experience, no one gives a shit. Has no one ever told you when you're talking out your ass before?

Dude, just go join the Defence Forces. Clearly they agree with all your opinions. Quit wasting our time here.

No thanks, I want to join my country's navy. Well not giving a shit about my opinion is your choice, and frankly constantly saying it doesn't deter my wish to apply so I really don't see what your point. I freely admit I am inexperienced in this issue but I am merely saying I agree with the opinion of some academics and some military officers who believe it should be changed, if you want it to stay the system it is today you are free to disagree with the opinion, however I'd ask the other posters to avoid posting petty insults when I am trying to gauge opinions in a constructive manner.
And I'm hardly lecturing, lecturing would imply everyone would shut the hell up and listen and respect the lecturer (which I don't want considering I'm definitely not qualified to "lecture" on this issue), what I'm aiming for is a discussion but in what seems to be the fashion of AW this seems to have descended into an argument. Again thanks to the people who have actually taken my enquries and comments seriously and have posted useful information here as opposed to insulting me due to the fact I have been unable to gain personal experience about the Military up until now.

phrogpilot73

Oh my Christ in heaven, just quit while you're behind and be quiet for a couple of days.

Perhaps it's time for a ban ???
He's a perfect candidate for a 1-2 week break from the website, but I don't think any of the moderators have figured out how to do anything other than the nuclear option.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
^ You can't fix stupid Fester. Perhaps it's time for a ban ???

I don't think we're quite there yet, but...

Jacks, while this site has matured and gained many more members over the years, it's still be about mentoring people who are interested in joining the service as an officer, and more specifically, the Naval Services. You acknowledge that you don't fully understand the process, but what you're not getting is that guys here are trying to give you some more mentoring than just what you asked about. You have a bunch of fleet aviators and officers telling you your delivery needs some work. Take it onboard. You're allowed to talk, but we're pretty much at the point now where no one is actually going to help and instead just dog pile on you because they're bored at work.

Take a break for a day or two, read some other threads and then come back with questions if you have any.

phrogpilot73

Before this turns into a dogpile, the OPs question was asked and answered, he got some mentoring, and now we're moving on.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
What I'm not allowed talk?

Being allowed to talk and having it be a good idea to talk are two totally different issues.

Slow your roll, kid. Ears and eyes open, mouth shut for a little while.

We want you to succeed. Just quit beating a dead horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.