• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Joining a foreign military?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks

I intend to apply for USMMA and then try and get a flight slot with the USN, when I leave high school but I'm living in Ireland right now and I was thinking of joining the Irish Army reserves.. would I still be allowed to become a U.S naval officer if I previously served in a foreign force?
The Irish army is neutral so no risk of of danger to our country.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Expect a lot of questions about it when you apply for a security clearance. Not necessarily a show stopper for joining, though.

jacks

Thanks, I'm already an officer in the Irish (civilian) Coastguard, and want weapons training (military is the only way to do it with gun restrictions)..
I'm curious though, is a 3.78 GPA competitive enough to get into a service academy?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks, I'm already an officer in the Irish (civilian) Coastguard, and want weapons training (military is the only way to do it with gun restrictions)..
I'm curious though, is a 3.78 GPA competitive enough to get into a service academy?

Jacks, 3.78 GPA very competitive for a Service Academy. As a non-citizen...in a tough economic environment, getting an appointment very problematical.

MilAcad + FltTrng + Service Commitment = ~12 yrs. Lengthy, strange, long-shot route for some "weapons training". Is that your main goal?:confused:
Da' Mick.jpg
BzB, descendent of Antrim Cty Clan Magee

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's your citizenship status? That might be a bigger obstacle to getting a commission in the US military, where sole US citizenship is a requirement.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why not apply to Kings Point as a foreign (Irish) student for admission.

jacks

Busybee, sorry I meant I was joining the Irish army reserve for some weapons training (no service obligation).
It is my ultimate goal to become a U.S naval aviator.
I am a U.S citizen also so I can apply as a U.S citizen.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Put it this way: you're a US citizen, so if you want to get into an Academy, minimize the number of things that can hold up the process. Joining a foreign military will not preclude you from admission, but it will raise eyebrows and hold things up while people ask questions.

If you're thinking you need weapons training to make you compeititve for admission, you don't. Doing something like the Irish coast guard is a great spirit-of-volunteerism thing and will make your application stand out. Doing it just to shoot guns seems kind of excessive.

jacks

Put it this way: you're a US citizen, so if you want to get into an Academy, minimize the number of things that can hold up the process. Joining a foreign military will not preclude you from admission, but it will raise eyebrows and hold things up while people ask questions.

If you're thinking you need weapons training to make you compeititve for admission, you don't. Doing something like the Irish coast guard is a great spirit-of-volunteerism thing and will make your application stand out. Doing it just to shoot guns seems kind of excessive.
Sorry I wasn't very clear about the reasons for joining the Irish military reserve. I just saw getting weapons training as a benefit. Military service is something I want to do my family has a history of it, 2 of my uncles were NCO's in the Irish army, my cousin is a reserve corporal, another cousin just retired as commander in chief of the Irish Defence forces, My primary goal is to become a U.S naval officer though.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just saw getting weapons training as a benefit. Military service is something I want to do my family has a history of it.

Good luck on your quest. BTW, if you make it as a SNA and especially as a Naval Aviator, you'll get beaucoup "weapons training"...(but not for skeet, trap, or recreation...heh heh!).;)
BzBBullpup Preflight - 10-06-67.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry I wasn't very clear about the reasons for joining the Irish military reserve. I just saw getting weapons training as a benefit. Military service is something I want to do my family has a history of it, 2 of my uncles were NCO's in the Irish army, my cousin is a reserve corporal, another cousin just retired as commander in chief of the Irish Defence forces, My primary goal is to become a U.S naval officer though.
Joining a foreign military service can be grounds for loss of US citizenship. Doesnt' seem like it's worth the risk.

Read this and be informed

Renegade One

None
Fascinating discourse. Thanks for letting me take a peek. My only "sorta similar" exposure was this situation kinda in reverse. When I was XO of VF-51 in the mid-80s (Yes, to answer your question...we did ALL of the TOMCAT flying for the making of the movie "TOP GUN" (less the US Navy stock footage)...our squadron "head nod" for that was the script plot line that Maverick's dad, Duke Mitchell, was a Naval Aviator with VF-51 aboard the USS Oriskany (CV-34) during the Vietnam War, and that he died on November 5, 1965 when his McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II was shot down...even though Oriskany never operated Phantoms), one of our more stellar pilot JOs (he flew in the movie...his name is in the credits...) was ending his obligated service, and "felt driven" by family background to join the Israeli Air Force afterwards. He went, and did, and because, I suppose, of a perhaps "special relationship" we may have had or continue to have, there was no issue about his US citizenship. Not really germane to your situation, I understand, but I've never yet had the opportunity before to give this great American a "shout out" for ALL of his service. Thanks for letting me do so here.

Status
Not open for further replies.