• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Joining a foreign military?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks

Anyone got any gouge on congressional/senate nominations by the way.. I was/will be a new jersey resident.
Also to mix military appointments with the political process seems very corrupt... just saying.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They've been doing it that way for 150 years. Saying a process is corrupt is pretty bold when, by your own admission, you don't know much about the process.

Check out usna.edu, got all the admissions gouge you'll need

jacks

They've been doing it that way for 150 years. Saying a process is corrupt is pretty bold when, by your own admission, you don't know much about the process.

Check out usna.edu, got all the admissions gouge you'll need
I said it seems corrupt.. I'm not neccesarily that it is (As I've said I'm not going to make a definite statement considering my inexperience). They've also been crowning kings of absolute monarchies for centuries... doesn't neccesarily mean they were correct. And it seems very out of touch with other naval standards and according to an academic full professor I was speaking to,with experience in various admission systems both American and international it is a "ridiculous and antiquated system".

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you actually know how the military academies' nomination process works? Or are you just assuming that if you put the word "congress" in a sentance, it implies sinister doings?

jacks

Do you actually know how the military academies' nomination process works? Or are you just assuming that if you put the word "congress" in a sentance, it implies sinister doings?
Oh I'm not fighting with you. I'm sure the application process has a lot of neccessary things I.E GPA and SAT/ACT scores I'm merely saying I don't think politicians are the best people to judge character.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh I'm not fighting with you. I'm sure the application process has a lot of neccessary things I.E GPA and SAT/ACT scores I'm merely saying I don't think politicians are the best people to judge character.

They don't. Your record goes to review by their staff. You get interviewed by a panel of former Academy military members (often retirees). Then you wait for them to a) decide who has the best record/interview and b) how many slots they have and who they want to use them for. They get 5 slots. Usually they only have one slot available each year for each politician. I wouldn't be surprised if the politician isn't even involved in the process until he has to sign something.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's just that you seem to be operating on a false assumption. Congressmen don't decide who goes to the academies. A congressional nomination is not the same as an appointment. It's just a name submitted to Admissions by a congressman's office. Admissions then decides whether or not to offer an appointment.

There are also Presidential appointments (for candidates who are children of veterans) and Vice Presidential appointments.

jacks

Oh I know it's just it precludes people that don't get this nomination from being accepted.. therefore indirectly they can prevent people from attending.
I wasn't aware of the military panel interview for a NOMINATION according to the website it must be by a member of congress or senator, I doubt all senators/congressmen put stock in a military committee to decide who they nominate (although it seems like a wise idea).

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I said it seems corrupt.. I'm not neccesarily that it is (As I've said I'm not going to make a definite statement considering my inexperience).system".

I'll make a definitive statement considering my experience.... that few (IL?) are more corrupt than your Na' Joisy politicos. Don't see what that has to do with your 'chances' to obtain a Congressional appointment?
Corzine NJ.jpg
We have a history of graduating predominently pretty damn fine Officers from the USNA, and I have known and served with many of them over the years. Like it or not, the appointment system works!
BzB

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh I know it's just it precludes people that don't get this nomination from being accepted.. therefore indirectly they can prevent people from attending.
I wasn't aware of the military panel interview for a NOMINATION according to the website it must be by a member of congress or senator, I doubt all senators/congressmen put stock in a military committee to decide who they nominate (although it seems like a wise idea).

And you would be wrong. Most of the congresscreatures could give a shit whose name their office submits to the Academies. While I imagine there are exceptions, the vast, vast majority of nominations are based solely on the recommendations of the Blue & Gold officers and the military interview panels. I was nominated by Joe Scarborough when he was the freshman congressman from my corner of Florida. He hosted a get-together for my year's academy nominees from his district because we were his first nominees. He told us he was surprised how little his colleagues paid attention to academy nomination...usually something that got fobbed off on whatever staffer happened to be in the room.

You're outside your element here, Donny.

jacks

I'll make a definitive statement considering my experience.... that few (IL?) are more corrupt than your Na' Joisy politicos. Don't see what that has to do with your 'chances' to obtain a Congressional appointment? We have a history of graduating predominently pretty damn fine Officers from the USNA, and I have known and served with many of them over the years. Like it or not, the appointment system works!
BzB
Just sayin'... theres better ways of doing it, not disputing that we have been fortunate enough that the politicians have chosen some fine officers.
But yeah I am curious about my chances.

jacks

And you would be wrong. Most of the congresscreatures could give a shit whose name their office submits to the Academies. While I imagine there are exceptions, the vast, vast majority of nominations are based solely on the recommendations of the Blue & Gold officers and the military interview panels. I was nominated by Joe Scarborough when he was the freshman congressman from my corner of Florida. He hosted a get-together for my year's academy nominees from his district because we were his first nominees. He told us he was surprised how little his colleagues paid attention to academy nomination...usually something that got fobbed off on whatever staffer happened to be in the room.

You're outside your element here, Donny.
Strange... I'd certainly take more of an interest if I was in Congress, just goes to show how disinterested the majority of government is in the military then!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There probably are better ways of doing it - the Coast Guard Academy doesn't bother with the nomination system at all, for example. Personally, I'd wonder if my congressman had better things to be doing than worrying about where some high school kids go to college. Most of them do take some interest in it, and many will make a point of calling to deliver a nomination themselves. But corrupt? Fuck, no. It's not some shady patronage system.

jacks

There probably are better ways of doing it - the Coast Guard Academy doesn't bother with the nomination system at all, for example. Personally, I'd wonder if my congressman had better things to be doing than worrying about where some high school kids go to college. Most of them do take some interest in it, and many will make a point of calling to deliver a nomination themselves. But corrupt? Fuck, no. It's not some shady patronage system.
It sounds like it has the potential to be.... I know if someones daddy was a congressman it would certainly give him the edge over another guy.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You really won't let this go, will you? Congressman Fred can nominate his nephew if he wants. If the interview board and BGO (who also interviewed him) also think he's competitive and qualified and Admissions also finds him competitive and qualified, he'll be offered an appointment. Along with any other candidates who are also nominated, competitive and qualified (as mentioned, they can submit more than one name). If Congressman Fred's nephew is an idiot, he won't be offered an appointment, so what was the point of giving him his nomination?

See my point?

While we're at it, let me tell you what's wrong with Ireland. I've never been there, but I looked at a website.

Status
Not open for further replies.