• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jet Catches Fire Aboard USS Carl Vinson

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Well... I've refused the ride a couple times. Once, discussed previously, in an early A4, in a heavy rainstorm, Tonkin Gulf, low fuel state, and an inop windshield wiper, ...hence NO (repeat NO) forward visibility.

Ship's skipper made me an offer (LOL!!)...controlled ejection alongside...or shoot a "CCA"...with paddles on the platform being the "CC"...paddles did an exemplary job at talking me down...another incident related here: (Several years old now...)

FROM BRETT: One thing I've learned on this forum is that the pilot always knows best and is not to be questioned - EVER (especially if he's an LSO).

Looks like Rondebmar agrees with you :)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
X-Wind Problem

Not near as spectacular as the F-106, but we had an unusual accident in VA-44, the A-4 RAG @ Cecil in the late '60s. The Pilot, an RP returning from a training flight, was faced with crosswinds approaching the 15 kt, max crosswind component limit on the A-4C. On his first approach, he elected to waveoff just prior to touchdown due to excessive drift (gusty winds). On his second approach, he touched down & while decelerating through less than 90 kts, a strong gust sent him skidding port wing down, toward the side of the runway. As the A/C headed off the runway, he ejected. Several of us witnessed the ejection from a large ready room window overlooking the duty runway.

The ejection started normally...canopy left, rocket propelled the seat up & forward, but seat/man separation never occurred. Tragically, the seat w/ Pilot slammed into the ground and was fatal. It was horrible to watch, I remember several of us yelling "open, open, open..."!

The Scooter skidded through the weeds for several hundred yards, shedding drop tanks, and slid to a relatively gentle stop. The engine was still running when the crash crew arrived. There was only moderate damage and that A/C was repaired and flew again. A seat separation malfunction was determined to be the cause of the fatality.

I was never privy to the AAR, but I felt (after the fact) there were other options available which might have prevented that accident, such as another wave off, duty runway shift, divert to NAS Jax or other airfield, short field arrestment, etc. Very sad!:icon_conf
BzB

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
LSOs

FROM BRETT: One thing I've learned on this forum is that the pilot always knows best and is not to be questioned - EVER (especially if he's an LSO).

Looks like Rondebmar agrees with you :)

In my limited experience, I have always observed that it is the weakest Carrier Pilots, that do the most bitchin' at the LSO during the debrief! I had an (unnamed) CO long ago, who became noted for his last minute DFDs, especially at night. One black night, I guess he decided he'd had enough grinding around the pattern in the 'black' air....approaching the ramp 'bout 1.5 balls high, he spiked it into the 3-wire...SPLAT, all 3 gear ended up pointing in different directions. Gave me a "hunchback" just watching it on the PLAT!:bigeyes2_

Upon arrival in the Ready Room, he commenced screaming for the LSO's head.:icon_trou When Paddles arrived (w/ CAG in tow), he immediately cued the approach on the PLAT & started the debrief. Not another whine was heard! The End. :sing_125:

Moral: Be NICE :icon_zbee to your LSO, he may well save your life some day. No, I'm not, nor have I ever been an LSO, but I've always admired & paid damn close attention to them.
BzB:sleep_125

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
If you look close, when a crew manning hose began spraying from behind the Hornet near the end of the vid, the wind was pushing the water ( or fire retardent?) right back at them.

How long would there be a foul deck (right term?) after something like that?

This was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure the remaining planes for that recovery were diverted. The jet trapped roughly 1+30ish prior to the next launch. They put the fire out, reset the gear, towed the plane out of the LA, cleaned up the LA, and did a combat FOD walkdown, all in time for the next launch. It was pretty impressive. Huge BZ to the pilot, also. He had a left fire light (not a right fire light) but the tower was quick enough to tell him his right engine was on fire. He verified it with another plane and performed the correct procedures and a quick single engine checklist.