• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jet Catches Fire Aboard USS Carl Vinson

Flying Toaster

None
Out of curiosity, was the pilot following some sort of procedures (shutdown, etc.) or is that just how long it typically takes to get the canopy open and out of the aircraft without pulling the yellow handles?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Out of curiosity, was the pilot following some sort of procedures (shutdown, etc.) or is that just how long it typically takes to get the canopy open and out of the aircraft without pulling the yellow handles?

I probably wouldn't be trying to egress with the jet still moving and the fire/AFFF hose blowing right into my face. Brings up a good question for the more experienced Hornet guys in AW.....if you were emergency egressing, would you pull the emerg release handle or just manually unstrap?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I probably wouldn't be trying to egress with the jet still moving and the fire/AFFF hose blowing right into my face. Brings up a good question for the more experienced Hornet guys in AW.....if you were emergency egressing, would you pull the emerg release handle or just manually unstrap?

Manually unstrap.

Go to flight E and strap on a real seat pan when you're in full gear. Now walk around a little. Think you could egress much faster that way?

We (AV-8B guys) had to do some "locate the raft release" drill a few years ago like that. I decided there was no sense in bringing the seat pan out with me. I'm 90% certain it would be slower.

KBayDog

Well done, Crash! On that thing like white on rice on a paper plate in the middle of a snow storm.

Fortunately, we very rarely need their services. Glad to see they're on the ball on those occasions when the ship and aircrew need them to be.

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
One question: why did the AFFF tractor stop where it did and attack the flames from the front of the jet instead of driving around toward the rear to get a better angle?

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Agreed about the crash crew. What a great job. To flying toaster, I know I'm full of adrenaline after a trap, much less a single engine one. Who knows how long it took for him to realize that he was on fire in the first place. Great job all around.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
One question: why did the AFFF tractor stop where it did and attack the flames from the front of the jet instead of driving around toward the rear to get a better angle?

It's been eons since I went to fire-fighting school, but I'm takin' a WAG:

Where's the truck/cart in the first place ... ??

Where's the relative wind ... ?? On a shipboard fire topside, you always want to use the wind to YOUR advantage.

If there's any residual air moving through the engine, which direction does it flow ... ??? Back to front ... or front to back ... ???

Where's the crewmember(s) ... ?? You might have to pull them out prior to snuffin' the conflagration.

What's the quickest way to put out a fire?? Snuff it, smother it, oxygen starve it. So shoot the fog/foam down the intake(s) to snuff an engine fire given consideration for the rest (above) ...

CHANGE THE NOZZLE-MAN !!!

Like I said; it's been eons ... but
some things don't change too much. :)

jmcquate

Contributor
If you look close, when a crew manning hose began spraying from behind the Hornet near the end of the vid, the wind was pushing the water ( or fire retardent?) right back at them.

How long would there be a foul deck (right term?) after something like that?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Manually unstrap.

Go to flight E and strap on a real seat pan when you're in full gear. Now walk around a little. Think you could egress much faster that way?

We (AV-8B guys) had to do some "locate the raft release" drill a few years ago like that. I decided there was no sense in bringing the seat pan out with me. I'm 90% certain it would be slower.

Ran through this in my head a few times. I'm thinking pull the manual handle to cut loose the leg straps, but still undo the lower kochs. It definitely sucks to try to do anything with the seatpan hanging on. Of course my dumb ass would go to stand up and get snatched back into the seat because my O2 is still plugged in.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Ran through this in my head a few times. I'm thinking pull the manual handle to cut loose the leg straps, but still undo the lower kochs. It definitely sucks to try to do anything with the seatpan hanging on. Of course my dumb ass would go to stand up and get snatched back into the seat because my O2 is still plugged in.

Or maybe because you have Mr Z standing next to you, screaming about which fingers you should be using to open the koch fittings :)

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Or maybe because you have Mr Z standing next to you, screaming about which fingers you should be using to open the koch fittings :)

Dude, I don't know what "they" said to those guys, but they've reall changed their acts. Z and D 2.0 are just ghostly shells of their former selves. Still the hardest, but nowhere near where they were when I got here, there's a new site manager who's a former commodore, and some have retired altogether.