• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jet Catches Fire Aboard USS Carl Vinson

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The jet was still in the wires, so entire arresting gear wire was still attached to the hook. That's a precarious situation for guys to be behind the jet at that point.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
The jet was still in the wires, so entire arresting gear wire was still attached to the hook. That's a precarious situation for guys to be behind the jet at that point.

Actually, it was only the cross deck pendant (CDP) that was connected to the hook point and it looked like the AGO gave 'em a longer than normal pull back (speculating that was to aid crash and salvage with their positioning). After the pull back you can see the hook point relax to the deck indicating slack in the CDP. As long as the AGO didn't initiate further pull back the dudes should have been safe.

I've never been a shooter (or AGO).... So if I'm totally jacked up, please correct me - but I think I'm right :)

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, it was only the cross deck pendant (CDP) that was connected to the hook point and it looked like the AGO gave 'em a longer than normal pull back (speculating that was to aid crash and salvage with their positioning). After the pull back you can see the hook point relax to the deck indicating slack in the CDP. As long as the AGO didn't initiate further pull back the dudes should have been safe.

I've never been a shooter (or AGO).... So if I'm totally jacked up, please correct me - but I think I'm right :)

Copy. Anytime the wire is in the LA folks shouldn't be stepping out over it. There is no grownup supervision (other than the Boss/Mini over the flight deck freq to the yellow shirts - who were probably more concerned with fire fighting efforts) over retracting the CDP nor comms between the the greenshirt up front who gives the signal to retract and the greenshirt deck edge operator in back who actually retracts it.

everything else looks textbook as far as the firefight - P25 is the intial responder with a AFFF fog and fire suppression, followed by hose teams at a 45 degree angle
to combat the fire with AFFF hoses. Winds down the nose for the recovery, so smoke was drifting aft. Tow the hornet out and do a FOD walk and continue the recovery.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Dude, I don't know what "they" said to those guys, but they've reall changed their acts. Z and D 2.0 are just ghostly shells of their former selves. Still the hardest, but nowhere near where they were when I got here, there's a new site manager who's a former commodore, and some have retired altogether.

Similar situation in TW4. Lots of recently retired IPs coming online and more supervision of the "tough" instructors.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Similar situation in TW4. Lots of recently retired IPs coming online and more supervision of the "tough" instructors.

That's kind of humorous.....not sure how the multiengine IP's were, but the T-34 sim guys were like gentle old grandfathers compared to a few of the guys in Meridian. And that includes the "4 horsemen" of Corpus

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
That's kind of humorous.....not sure how the multiengine IP's were, but the T-34 sim guys were like gentle old grandfathers compared to a few of the guys in Meridian. And that includes the "4 horsemen" of Corpus

I'm almost sim complete and really the horsemen aren't that bad. I've been told by a few people it's part of the T-6 transition and also bringing more recent practical experience to the sim.

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
I never got to experience the 2.0 versions in Meridian but the sim guys in Corpus weren't bad at all. There were many days during ANs and IRs that I wish they were my instructors vice the Meridian folks.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
The Corpus sim guys are great. Unless you show up not knowing your stuff (which is always a problem), they'll treat you fairly.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
In a situation like the Hornet's, what criteria help you decide between bringing it back to the boat and putting it in the water?

UMichfly

pilot
None
In a situation like the Hornet's, what criteria help you decide between bringing it back to the boat and putting it in the water?

Your swimming ability?

In all seriousness, I can't think of a single EP that would make me think "I'm just going to try to ride this one into the drink". As long as there isn't an uncontained fire eating the ass end of the airplane, it'll do just fine getting aboard single engine. If that's not possible, I'd much rather pull the party handle and get out than try to ditch.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your swimming ability?

In all seriousness, I can't think of a single EP that would make me think "I'm just going to try to ride this one into the drink". As long as there isn't an uncontained fire eating the ass end of the airplane, it'll do just fine getting aboard single engine. If that's not possible, I'd much rather pull the party handle and get out than try to ditch.

I presume he means the decision to eject or recover onthe ship. I'm with you in that there's probably isn't any situation where ditching in a TACAIR jet is a good choice. As with many things in Naval Aviation, you'll know when the time to eject is upon you - there will be no question.

Brett

OscarMyers

None
Is there anyone on this board thats had to take that ride. Im curious their perspective on that oh shit moment. Also makes me wonder about those times the aircraft kept flying after the Pilot punched out. oops?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Getting Out

Is there anyone on this board thats had to take that ride. Im curious their perspective on that oh shit moment. Also makes me wonder about those times the aircraft kept flying after the Pilot punched out. oops?
359.jpg
I took that ride...as Brett stated, when it's time to go..you'll know, my hesitation was ONLY that I gambled on staying with the burning bird longer than I wanted, in order to to get "feet wet". That decision was made long before that particular mission was ever flown.:hot_125:
BzB :bigeyes_1

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... That decision was made long before that particular mission was ever flown.:hot_125:
BzB :bigeyes_1
Roger that; the decision of 'when to eject' should ALWAYS be made on the ground. It's that kind of heads-up preparation that will keep you alive ...