• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

January 09 Boards

kwestman

The good ol' shins

Yeah, I'm dealing with bad shin splints at the moment...thought I had coaxed them away with low impact workouts the past couple of months, but just last weekend my right leg flared up bad, so much I couldn't workout so far this weekend.

The only thing I've heard to help it is 1) stay off of it, or 2) lots of fluid, stretch extremely well, and wrap them tightly to keep the muscle and tendons in place while running. I am going to start wrapping them during all my workouts now, as I can't really afford to let up on the workouts just yet - only a few more weeks and a few more pounds to get into shape.

Any other ideas to help with them?

What your saying is good, but that alone will not "cure" them. Its a good idea to stay off of them, and NEVER run if they hurt, that will delay you more. But staying off of them is a temporary fix, as you've probably noticed. They will come back, and they will be just as bad as before. Stretching will help a little bit, but what helps the most is exercising the muscles that are causing the splints. Your fibula and tibia are the two bones in your lower leg. These bones have a LOT of muscles attached to them. It is these muscles that, when overworked, begin to pull on your tibia and fibula, this pulling is what causes the pain. (There are a bunch of other reasons that you can get shin splints, but I am not going to go through all of them.) Conditioning these muscles will help treat the pain you are feeling. So some exercises you should try:

·Draw each letter of the alphabet with the big toe of each foot in the air.
·While standing erect raise up and down onto your toes several times. If that is too easy you can make it more challenging by performing the same exercise while standing on a step and allow your calves to stretch over the edge of the step.
·In a sitting position lower and raise the feet with the heels on the ground as high and quickly as possible for 60 seconds. I have athletes do this exercise during the school day while sitting at their desk.
·Walking down steep hills.
·Walking on toes.
·Walking on heels.
·Walking with feet turned inward and outward.
·With socks off, gather up a towel that is flat on the floor, using only the toes.
·Pick up marbles using the toes.

Try those. In the mean time R.I.C.E. Rest, Ice Compression, Elevation.

Hope that helps. Keep at it.

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
Yes, ditto...thanks for the info. I'm able to do most of those, but I will definitely keep icing them and propping them up - something I really haven't been able to do lately as I've been busy running around for work and mid-terms. I think I'll start adding some walking on the treadmill at max height angle and the stair stepper for the calf exercises, that should really help with the stretching and workout.

I wrapped them tight earlier today, and it helped with the shin splints but made me cramp up in the calves, lol...a work in progress.

kwestman

Yes, ditto...thanks for the info. I'm able to do most of those, but I will definitely keep icing them and propping them up - something I really haven't been able to do lately as I've been busy running around for work and mid-terms. I think I'll start adding some walking on the treadmill at max height angle and the stair stepper for the calf exercises, that should really help with the stretching and workout.

I wrapped them tight earlier today, and it helped with the shin splints but made me cramp up in the calves, lol...a work in progress.

Yeah another thing is taking an anti-inflammatory (like Advil, or Ibuprofen) 1 hour before your workout. The trick is to treat it before you start to feel it.

AntiSchmoe

Final Select SNA
Are you BDCP?

No. Last semester here; I'm done in May.

EDIT: To add, I was turned down for BDCP in Oct. '08, reapplied as a regular OCS package in Nov '08. Recruiter wanted to maximize the number of opportunities at the boards before graduating. Worked out nicely.

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
So, apparently I should have my fs "by Friday." I received an email saying that they had to resubmit my JPAS documents in a different format or something like that...

nebekerb

Final Select SNA
Contributor
So, apparently I should have my fs "by Friday." I received an email saying that they had to resubmit my JPAS documents in a different format or something like that...

Maybe they'll give you plenty of time to get ready by giving you a March 29 OCS date;)

Falk

FS SNA

Congrats Leviticus (sort of premature I know). My recruiter has been out this entire week so I have no idea what the status of my package is right now.