• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

January 09 Boards

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
re: shin spints

my personal experience... i had HORRIBLE shin splints prior to going to OCS, i had good shoes fitted by an actual running store and i stretched and warmed up and still managed to screw my shins up real bad. prior to OCS i stopped running completely for about 2 weeks to let them heal up so that i'd be in the best shin condition possible when i got there.

to my surprise, i didn't have ANY shin splint problems at all until we started doing formation runs. up until that point i had no problems what so ever. after that point i wouldn't have made it through OCS without the horse pill sized ibuprofren they hand out at medical. i'd pop one as soon as i woke up and i'd down as much of my canteen with it as possible, and sometimes pop one before bed with an equal amount of water.

i think the major factor that helped prevent them at first was the massive amounts of fluids you drink. the formation runs ended up doing my shins in because of all the slowing down and speeding up you do to stay covered and aligned.

that was my experience, your results may vary.

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
Yeah, I'm dealing with bad shin splints at the moment...thought I had coaxed them away with low impact workouts the past couple of months, but just last weekend my right leg flared up bad, so much I couldn't workout so far this weekend.

The only thing I've heard to help it is 1) stay off of it, or 2) lots of fluid, stretch extremely well, and wrap them tightly to keep the muscle and tendons in place while running. I am going to start wrapping them during all my workouts now, as I can't really afford to let up on the workouts just yet - only a few more weeks and a few more pounds to get into shape.

Any other ideas to help with them?

nebekerb

Final Select SNA
Contributor
If you have bad running form that can exacerbate the situation. Make sure that you have a good heel to toe technique; avoid stomping the foot down.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
Yeah, I'm dealing with bad shin splints at the moment...thought I had coaxed them away with low impact workouts the past couple of months, but just last weekend my right leg flared up bad, so much I couldn't workout so far this weekend.

The only thing I've heard to help it is 1) stay off of it, or 2) lots of fluid, stretch extremely well, and wrap them tightly to keep the muscle and tendons in place while running. I am going to start wrapping them during all my workouts now, as I can't really afford to let up on the workouts just yet - only a few more weeks and a few more pounds to get into shape.

Any other ideas to help with them?
are you running on a soft surface? either a track or a treadmill? taking ibuprofen every morning and prior to running? is your pee clear? no not yellow, i'm talking about damn near looking like how it went into your body.

you also might try non impact activities such as exhausting bike rides or the various aerobic machines at the gym. i had pretty much switched to the stair stepper machine and riding my bike off road through soft terrain until i quite literally was falling off from exhaustion. you could probably just hop on the bike machine at the gym but i always found that boring.

search the forum there are tons of suggestions on here because this is a common problem.

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
I'm cranking out the miles on the bike, pissing near-water (but could be drinking more than I am), running on soft surfaces, and using proper technique (I stretch my stride out, being a former runner and all)...been doing so for 2 or 3 months now. I think the wrapping is going to be the trick, as just like a dislocation the muscle is out of position and I need to "remind" it where it's workplace is.

I try not to take too much IB, as my liver already has been (and will prolly be in the future) worked thoroughly by the alc, but I will get on a schedule if that's what it takes. I just hate having to get back into shape again, it's so easy when you're there but it's hell to work back up to it...I used to run sub-5:00 miles and could crank them out with ease, but now I'm working on getting to sub-7:00 with tons of pain. Oh well, I think time will be the biggest factor in recovery, and I wish it didn't take so long. Thanks guys.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
I'm cranking out the miles on the bike, pissing near-water (but could be drinking more than I am), running on soft surfaces, and using proper technique (I stretch my stride out, being a former runner and all)...been doing so for 2 or 3 months now. I think the wrapping is going to be the trick, as just like a dislocation the muscle is out of position and I need to "remind" it where it's workplace is.

I try not to take too much IB, as my liver already has been (and will prolly be in the future) worked thoroughly by the alc, but I will get on a schedule if that's what it takes. I just hate having to get back into shape again, it's so easy when you're there but it's hell to work back up to it...I used to run sub-5:00 miles and could crank them out with ease, but now I'm working on getting to sub-7:00 with tons of pain. Oh well, I think time will be the biggest factor in recovery, and I wish it didn't take so long. Thanks guys.
get paper dixie cups, like the small ones you give to children.

fill them with water and freeze.

then when you're done running take one out peel the paper back and use the ice to massage the muscles especially where it hurts.

Lobster

get paper dixie cups, like the small ones you give to children.

fill them with water and freeze.

then when you're done running take one out peel the paper back and use the ice to massage the muscles especially where it hurts.

I'll second that, works like a champ.

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
all I had were the large clear plastic party cups...ha, still worked, just not the same direct connection between ice and skin. But, it being larger, I was able to rotate around several points on my leg, 20 minutes each. Just keep a drain cup nearbye.

DA085

Howdy all...

Got a class date today.

April 5th.

Time line info for those interested-
Pro-Rec in JAN board (obviously)
PRT- Done/Submitted with initial app package in DEC.
MEPS- JAN 29, no waivers needed or anything to that extent.
FS/Class Date Info- MAR 12

Theresa

This is my first time posting. I put the final pieces of my application in the mail today. I'm applying for SWO and Supply. Here are my stats:

25/F
OAR 52
GPA: 3.1
Degree: B.A. English Minor: Education
Extra-Curriculars: 3 years on Student Government, 3 years volunteer experience, 1 year Student teaching.

I hold a security clearance for my current job.

I've been reading through these threads for some time now and figured it was time to speak up. Congrats to all who were selected!

Falk

FS SNA
Congrats to everyone who has a date. I'm still waiting on my FS but hopefully I'll see you all up at Newport.