• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jan OCC, compare pakages

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElCid 2001

Yeah, can you believe that. I have one lousy waiver for being married, isn't that part of life, but yeah, I had to ask for a waiver, and my wife had to write a letter stating that she understands that I will be away for some period of time.

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Hey I'm married too, but I don't think that's necessarily a waiver item...maybe I'm wrong, but its just to protect a spouse and/or dependents from having daddy/hubby up and leave without the family knowing. The Corps doesn't want to to deal with your baggage so they just make sure your wife knows what your doing. Like I said I could be wrong, but my OSO said my only waiver is for traffic infractions...

reapergm

Man, Is there anyone out there that got in without a 9,9,9 ASTb, 300 PFT, 500 hours of flight time and a presidential recommendation!? I seem so unqualified, most of you guys seem good to go. I need to get my damn PFT to 300 or Im in trouble. I wish I could go back in time and not messed around in school.

reapergm

SteveW - check the previous page, and OSS Albany NY. I think my PFT will be about a 290 by the PFT update, 300 by June (if I dont make 185). Does it pay to take the ASVAB? or really doesnt matter?

stevew

Reaper, I think that you only need the ASVAB if you didn't score at least 1000 on the SAT's. You need at least a 75 on the ASVAB, but they look at it as pass/fail, so even if you score a 98 it doesn't make you app look any better the they guy who got the 76 or the guy with the 1010 on his SAT.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Reaper,
I know what you mean... typically I'm pretty full of myself (j/k), but I'm on my way to developing an inferiority complex hanging out with such squared-away individuals. DAMN YOUS ALLS TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
I believe that the air test is more of the same in regards to pass/fail...unless it comes down to two pretty even apps then they may differentiate...also the third score is thrown out at this point because of demand.

Slasher as far as inferiority complex...I'm with you there...however, I focus on what I can do at this point to improve my app...that's pretty much improve my PFT...since I can't change my grades.

One thing I would recommend is try to involve yourself with a HS team of some sort...then you can get the rec from the head coach, which would hold some weight as he/she would directly attest to your leadership skills, etc. I've coached HS basketball the past five years and I've learned invaluable lessons on how to motivate, discipline, and instruct some of the most stubborn kids (hs'ers) on the planet. Just a thought.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Ok I'm a bit confused now. We all know it's uber-competitive getting into OCS right now. Which means it comes down to nitpicking the details between applications to select people.

So why does everyone say that they only look at these damn exams as a pass/fail scenario (the asvab and astb references above)? How do they differentiate between apps then--PFT and Gpa? I'm driving myself crazy over this nonsense. I guess if I get a section 8 that opens up one more slot, eh? Hahahaha

stevew

I don't believe that the ASTB is regarded as pass/fail only the ASVAB. These are for air slots which are easier to get then ground slots. Right now ground is extremely competitive.

reapergm

See yeah, weird. First my OSO said that it didnt matter... but when I got my score, he didnt seem so enthusiastic. I said I want to retake it, hes like.. "dont worry, you can retake later if you dont get in". So what does that mean?!!? It does or doesnt count. Actually,it doesnt even matter now, I have to go for ground because I have bad eye sight and there are no NFO slots in my office. (Yes, once again, Ive thought of PRK, but my OSO is ADAMENT about it not being accepted anymore).

Sins

My OSO said that the PFT was one of the most if not the most important part of the application. He feels that LORs are not that important (after I scrambled and got several).

He says that the ASTB score does matter but not all that much, of course 9/9/9 looks better than 6/6/6, but he would not have someone who passed retake the test.

On another note, I heard that out of the 2 types of laser eye surgury, one is definitely preferred: lasek. Or was it that lasek wasnt preferred?

Most importantly remember this: you can't put too much water on the nuclear reactor.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Does anyone know if its possible to go through another office outside of your region to pick up a slot, if your local oso doesn't have any?

I'm already contracted, so it doesn't matter much to me I guess, but reaper's situation got me thinking about it. Cause If I'm a non-select for 185, my office has nothing available till Oct '04. And I really don't want to wait that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.