• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"It's not all choker whites and Dining Outs"

ghost_ttu

*grumbles* I hate to post this here, but it is just as much relevant as the argument being made here. If you had to pick a movie, which movie would you say Hollywood came the closest to military life? I don't have an answer because I'm not in, and all I have to refer to is how it was when my dad was in when I was young, and how it is for my brother now. But I'm curious what others would consider the "Hollywood got close" award goes to?

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
12 O'clock high and das boat. My 2 cents..

Maybe something meaningful can come out of this thread... nah, what was I thinking....

Dave Shutter

"Tora Tora Tora", "Midway" and "The Longest Day" were always applauded by veterans who were there as very close representations, of course that's what they set out to become by the filmmakers, you're not gonna see that anymore in Hollywood. Of course you compare them to the visual splendor and candidness of more recent films like "Saving Pvt. Ryan",
"Apocalypse Now" or a "Full Metal Jacket" and you know they're missing something. Hard to say since practically no one here has been to the places, or done the things in most movies.

I think the point made by some on "Officer-Gentleman" wasn't that it's way off the mark, on the contrary, it's closer to military life than say...a direct-to-video, shoot e'm up, SEAL movie you see on sCinemax at 0300, but just don't think that's what OCS will be like for real. Your DI could give a sh!t about your "personal growth"; he just want's you to pass.

e5b-wife

Spyce and KimphilsGirl -
I have never heard so much whining and complaining in my whole life!!!!!!!!!!
Get over yourselves. I promise you know about as much as I do about OCS and since I didn't go I know very little. I know my husband made it through and it was hard and I know he didn't cheat on me. So maybe I was lucky. Maybe what you say really does happen but guess what.....That's life. Stop trying to ruin it for other people. It's hard enough to support each other while your significant other is at OCS without people like you planting seeds of distrust.
banghead_125.gif

tali264

Originally posted by e5b-wife
Spyce and KimphilsGirl -
I have never heard so much whining and complaining in my whole life!!!!!!!!!!
Get over yourselves. I promise you know about as much as I do about OCS and since I didn't go I know very little. I know my husband made it through and it was hard and I know he didn't cheat on me. So maybe I was lucky. Maybe what you say really does happen but guess what.....That's life. Stop trying to ruin it for other people. It's hard enough to support each other while your significant other is at OCS without people like you planting seeds of distrust.
banghead_125.gif

Thank goodness somebody finally said it!!! Thanks E5b-wife

H

Honour_Class

This thread is quite accurate. Shortly after graduation, each class has 2 or 3 divorces, and usually a marriage or two between newly commissioned officers. This of course doesn't count the less public liberty happenings. When OC get out of their hometown and see how different life is going be in the military all kinds of things happen.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If the candidates can get that much ass wearing those ridiculous uniforms on libb-o, than my hat's off to them. However, I've been here as a SNA and as an IP, and mostly I see candidates just hanging out with each other. As for the rest of the issue, if you look at statistics about cheating, the numbers in the civilian world are VERY bad too. I'd say the number of cheaters and failed marriages are actually much better in the military. It's only because of the rules and separations that it seems much worse. Life is hard--wear a cup. If your man cheated at OCS AND after, you don't think he would have had the copier repairwoman bent over the Xerox at a civilian office?

trongod46

pilot
this is most hillarous thread ive ever read in my life, couldnt find a better topic on jerry springer, i think that first post is all made up anyway, trying to start everone up.
but still funny

usunkmybship

From an 18 year old's point of view, I'm scared to get married :(
Yeah during our first few weeks of liberty in Newport the civilian girls were going CRAZY over the guys. The guys even came up with a new acronym for NAPS-
It went from Naval Academy Preparatory School to Naval Aviation Pilot School. None of us are allowed to be married but some still cheat or break up with their girlfriends and girlfriends to be with someone they met here. I just find it hard to trust anyone :/

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
usunkmybship said:
From an 18 year old's point of view, I'm scared to get married :(
Yeah during our first few weeks of liberty in Newport the civilian girls were going CRAZY over the guys. The guys even came up with a new acronym for NAPS-
It went from Naval Academy Preparatory School to Naval Aviation Pilot School. None of us are allowed to be married but some still cheat or break up with their girlfriends and girlfriends to be with someone they met here. I just find it hard to trust anyone :/

You shouldn't worry right now. You're only 18. Live your life, have a great time, do what you want. When the right person comes along (be it 2 years or 10), things will work out. Granted its really hard work, but it's worth it. It seems, from what I've seen, people think relationships should be all sunshine and flowers, and they're not, and when they realize this, they give up. Yes, it is hard to trust, but with the right person, you will be able to work through that, I promise. Another thing to keep in mind is that bad stories are always more sensational, more newsworthy, and more fun to talk about than good ones. Most people don't sit around and talk about how other poeple's wife/husband baked cookies/made all sorts of welcome home signs/etc. after deployment but they sure do sit around and talk about how so and so's wife/husband had the divorce lawyer meet them at the pier.

Don't worry about this stuff. You are still really young (hell, I'm 24 and I'm still really young).

EngineGirl

Sabre170

None
ghost_ttu said:
*grumbles* I hate to post this here, but it is just as much relevant as the argument being made here. If you had to pick a movie, which movie would you say Hollywood came the closest to military life? I don't have an answer because I'm not in, and all I have to refer to is how it was when my dad was in when I was young, and how it is for my brother now. But I'm curious what others would consider the "Hollywood got close" award goes to?

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

A realistic movie about military life (war time)... SAVING PRIVATE RYAN!

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
spyce said:
Later I found out he did. Too good a time. He hooked up with a Pensacola Hoochie his FIRST weekend of liberty!

Throttle back there, Sparky.

I'm from P'cola (born and raised) and so is my wife. There are sh*tbags anywhere you go, so don't pretend its P'cola's (or OCS') fault. I really do feel badly for you both, but it wasn't the town that caused it. It was his fault - no one else's.

For those that can make it away from the bar scene, they usually find that most of us from P'cola are pretty nice people. I used to take great pleasure in making fun of my flight school friends on a regular basis. Again - sorry it happened, but it's not our fault.