• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is now really a good time to go into the navy???

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Is now really a good time to go into the navy???

Hells Yeah! We got Iraq, Afghanistan, possibly North Korea and Iran on the horizon, and dont forget about those damn Mongolians!

Accerlerate Your Life B!TCH3Z!

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I'm glad you think so. :icon_wink

You're not going to get a wink from me. My statement was based your first post which warranted my response. You sounded like somebody who wanted the job security without the inherent risk involved.

Semper Fi, Doc

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anytime is a good time to go in the NAV. :D

See what I mean, Shrink? These warriors are chomping at the bit, many of whom after having spent time in the trenches as enlisted men. It's not a lifestyle for everyone, so just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons if you do decide to pursue a career in the military.

Brett

snake020

Contributor
If you don't want to leave the country try looking at the Coast Guard, although their activities are probably more dangerous than the military's.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you don't want to leave the country try looking at the Coast Guard, although their activities are probably more dangerous than the military's.

There's so much wrong w/ this statement, I don't know where to begin. Or were trying to make a funny?

CG is the military, just under a different chain of command. CG's deployment schedule is as busy if not m more so (depending on the community) than the Navy's.

If it was a funny, then disregard, just don't want to give those that don't know the wrong impression.

ShrinkSkat

Banned
As witty and put together as you would have us all think, your first post made you look like a pacifist that is short on job options... :)

Wait a minute.."a pacifist"!!!??? aren't these the sort of questions that anyone and everyone would be asking before making the decision of committing themselves to joining with the service? I think it's a legitimate concern. I'm not saying that "I refuse to join the navy unless I can be assured of my safety". When I inquired about the risk factor I was just curious as to what degree of risk I would likely be faced with. I also did not say that "I refuse to join if I face deployment". I undertsand that it's extremely probable. I prefer not to leave US..(as would anyone else)

Not trying to sound defensive but I certainly wasn't trying to sound over confident or witty either. Especially since I never met the people I'm communicating with and never will. I'm just looking to get useful information from others, which I have for the most part.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I prefer not to leave US..(as would anyone else)

I'm just looking to get useful information from others, which I have for the most part.

First off bruthaman, avoid large generalizations like so... I actually want to get outside the US and see more of the world than I already have... My wife and I are actually hoping to get stationed outside this great nation of ours...

Second, as far as the info is concerned, you've come to a good place for it. AW is full of people who've BTDT, those who haven't and everyone in between. To caviot that, be careful what you say. As you've found so clearly, some people (myself included at times) will jump on someone, especially those who come across as wanting to join the military but forgo all of the inherent risk and the time comittment. Not saying you did this, but I can defintely see how someone could get that from your fist post.

I'll also say grow a thicker skin... you join the military, you will get jumped on at times, whether you think you deserve it or not. Its gotta be like water off a ducks back man... just let it roll and get on.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Most of us WANT to go into harms way (Some are in harms way. Some have been in harms way). Those are the guys you are talking to on this forum. Thats why you got the response that you did.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Not trying to sound defensive but I certainly wasn't trying to sound over confident or witty either. Especially since I never met the people I'm communicating with and never will.

Hey, you never know when you'll meet someone from the board. I just got back from Marine OCS, and I met a guy there in my platoon I knew from this board. I think he's still up there...lucky bastage. ;)

I'm not commissioned yet, but I just wanted to add something about risk. A lot of my friends and co-workers at my old job were shocked to hear I wanted to join the military, given the current situation, in a flying career. I heard a lot of, "Isn't flying, like, dangerous?" Or, "Marines, eh? Don't they get shot at?" Or, "What if you get deployed?" Some were dumbfounded that I was willing to take risks.

I think about it this way: I'm following my dreams, and the risk of not doing so is far greater than any physical danger or mental stress I could encounter in the military. Can you live with yourself knowing you could have lived the dream and chose not to? I couldn't.

Seriously, a comfortable, civilian job in a cubicle somewhere, working a stupid, pointless job to make even more money for some rich people I'll never meet does not sound fulfilling. You get one shot at life, and that's not how I want to spend it.

Not even considering these factors, evem as a civilian, you're at risk everywhere you go, to varying degrees.

I just got back from OCS last week or so with an injury. My roommate, who is a great guy but does not take risks and is into the whole comfort thing, is a manager of a video game store. He loves video games, gets paid decently, and, most of all, feels comfortable and not threatened at his job.

Two nights ago he and his employees got held up and robbed at gunpoint.

He's just a great guy doing a job he likes, in a totally low-threat environment, good neighborhood and all that. But, he had his life threatened for a few hundred bucks and some PS2's.

Here I am seeking adventure and trying to live a "less comfortable" and potentially dangerous lifestyle. Still, I've never been threatened like that, never had a weapon pointed at me. My roommate has faced immediate, life threatening danger in a freakin' video game store.

Take your pick. I'd rather face these things on my own terms.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I also did not say that "I refuse to join if I face deployment". I undertsand that it's extremely probable. I prefer not to leave US..(as would anyone else)

Extremely probable is putting it lightly. The fact is, your preference for not leaving the US is catching you flak. I've been on 2 six month deployments, and yeah, I'd rather have been at home, but the key is, I knew that it comes with the territory. Your comment makes it sound like you want to join but don't want to deploy, which doesn't give a good impression to folks who are already in the fleet.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
d to hear I wanted to join the military, given the current situation, in a flying career. I heard a lot of, "Isn't flying, like, dangerous?" Or, "Marines, eh? Don't they get shot at?" Or, "What if you get deployed?" Some were dumbfounded that I was willing to take risks...

Here I am seeking adventure and trying to live a "less comfortable" and potentially dangerous lifestyle. Still, I've never been threatened like that, never had a weapon pointed at me. My roommate has faced immediate, life threatening danger in a freakin' video game store....

Take your pick. I'd rather face these things on my own terms.

Excellent post!

BackOrdered

Contributor
I think about it this way: I'm following my dreams, and the risk of not doing so is far greater than any physical danger or mental stress I could encounter in the military. Can you live with yourself knowing you could have lived the dream and chose not to? I couldn't.

This part was excellent as well. I can really identify with this quote. I can't imagine going day to day wondering what could have been of my life.