• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is now really a good time to go into the navy???

titusmcgrifth

I prefer not to leave US..(as would anyone else)

Speak for yourself. The main reason why I am joining the Navy is to see the world. I already know I'm not going to live forever, so I want to see as much of the world as humanly possible while doing something worthwhile. The Navy seems the best fit for that. And if I die in the process, then so be it. Do some soul searching and think if the military is really what you want to do, because once you are in, you won't have any freedom to dictate where you can go.

Anyone else want to flame on? :icon_rage

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Speak for yourself. The main reason why I am joining the Navy is to see the world. I already know I'm not going to live forever, so I want to see as much of the world as humanly possible while doing something worthwhile. The Navy seems the best fit for that. And if I die in the process, then so be it. Do some soul searching and think if the military is really what you want to do, because once you are in, you won't have any freedom to dictate where you can go.

Anyone else want to flame on? :icon_rage

Hey, that wasn't a flame. Looks like a worthwhile, well-reasoned post to me, and I can't agree more...except that I'd have written "Marines" instead. :)

BackOrdered

Contributor
I think you are a little late for the flaming. Besides, I think he sees the error of his opening post. I see this same thing happen on all the military forums.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not saying that "I refuse to join the navy unless I can be assured of my safety". When I inquired about the risk factor I was just curious as to what degree of risk I would likely be faced with.

You may be shot, blown up, lose a limb, and all sorts of other horrible deaths. You may never go to a war zone and never be in harms way. You may die in a car accident completely unrelated to military service. The fact of the matter is the ultimate purpose of the military is to fight a war. War is dangerous, you may die fighting one. That's your risk.

With that said, MOST people in the military are NOT warfighters. They are not the troops along the front, the Spec-Ops doing raids, the pilots dropping bombs, etc etc etc. The support structure of the military, of which if it did not exist there would be NO military, is by far much larger than the combat structure.

Take that for what it's worth.

I also did not say that "I refuse to join if I face deployment". I undertsand that it's extremely probable. I prefer not to leave US..(as would anyone else)

Gross generalization. Most people I know joined the Navy to travel and see the world. Joining the military, you are subject to the whims of national policy. In Clinton's time, that meant more deployments as peace-keepers in 8 years than in all of the US military history. Today it usually means the big Sandbox. It could also mean Germany, Japan, Italy, Bosnia, England, and all sorts of strange locations. It could also mean you never ever leave the USA.

Put it this way... you can join the Navy and never set foot on a ship or boat. The military has all sorts of options.

ShrinkSkat

Banned
You may be shot, blown up, lose a limb, and all sorts of other horrible deaths. You may never go to a war zone and never be in harms way. You may die in a car accident completely unrelated to military service. The fact of the matter is the ultimate purpose of the military is to fight a war. War is dangerous, you may die fighting one. That's your risk.

With that said, MOST people in the military are NOT warfighters. They are not the troops along the front, the Spec-Ops doing raids, the pilots dropping bombs, etc etc etc. The support structure of the military, of which if it did not exist there would be NO military, is by far much larger than the combat structure.

Take that for what it's worth.

Gross generalization. Most people I know joined the Navy to travel and see the world. Joining the military, you are subject to the whims of national policy. In Clinton's time, that meant more deployments as peace-keepers in 8 years than in all of the US military history. Today it usually means the big Sandbox. It could also mean Germany, Japan, Italy, Bosnia, England, and all sorts of strange locations. It could also mean you never ever leave the USA.

Put it this way... you can join the Navy and never set foot on a ship or boat. The military has all sorts of options.

I was hoping to spend as much time as possible aboard the boats since I practically grew up on them.

snake020

Contributor
I don't understand how you would expect to get a seagoing job in the Navy and not expect to leave the country.

thull

Jesus, a lot of people are jumping on this guy for asking a pretty basic question about risk. I don't see Shrinkstat's question as being that far out of left field, and indeed risk assesment is a constant and integral part of nearly everything the military does. From what I've heard/read, officers are SUPPOSED to question combat operations if they see weakness or avoidable danger. no one actually really wants to go out and get their as$ shot off (maybe a few) and questioning the likelihood of that happening on a board where many have the experience to answer that question should not warrant such a "shut up and don't question risk if you wanna hang with us" type reaction. . That's just retarded ...in my opinion.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jesus, a lot of people are jumping on this guy for asking a pretty basic question about risk. I don't see Shrinkstat's question as being that far out of left field, and indeed risk assesment is a constant and integral part of nearly everything the military does. From what I've heard/read, officers are SUPPOSED to question combat operations if they see weakness or avoidable danger. no one actually really wants to go out and get their as$ shot off (maybe a few) and questioning the likelihood of that happening on a board where many have the experience to answer that question should not warrant such a "shut up and don't question risk if you wanna hang with us" type reaction. . That's just retarded ...in my opinion.

That's why you're on the outside looking in.

Brett

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
As far as the whole risk thing goes...if you know that you're invincible then you don't have to worry about getting killed. Misology does have it's finer points.;)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as the whole risk thing goes...if you know that you're invincible then you don't have to worry about getting killed. Misology does have it's finer points.

People like that get comments of NAFOD through flight school. They usually attrite.

xmid

pilot
Contributor

I don't think that people are jumping on him for questioning the amount of risk, but rather the feeling of his aversion to it. He doesn't want to leave the country or be put in harms way. This attitude is going to give him alot of trouble in the Navy. What people are trying to clue him in on is the fact that neither one of these are something he can control and MOST members of the guys on here WANT to travel and WANT to fight. They don't call it "serving" for nothing. The problem lies in the way this guy is approaching it, if for nothing else, because he is in for a culture shock. He simply won't fit in with a group of people that want to go put warheads on foreheads. In the words of JPJ "Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go in harms way."