• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is now really a good time to go into the navy???

ShrinkSkat

Banned
I've arranged to meet with an officer recruiter on the 13th. I would just like some feedback from other people here. In light of everything that's been going on in the last couple of years, is there a significant amount of danger involved in going the ocs route?? I hope not to leave the country, but of course I have no control over that. I suspect it's nothing like going infantry with the Marines or anything like that, but is it still risky nonetheless??

titusmcgrifth

OMG what did you think was going to be in the military: gumdrops and lollipops? If you're having second thoughts, remember, if it is your time to go, it's your time to go.

http://www.icasualties.org/oif/Service.aspx

Here, if you want some stats on what the war is doing, but be warned: anyone who has lost anyone in the Navy in this conflict need not click this site.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've arranged to meet with an officer recruiter on the 13th. I would just like some feedback from other people here. In light of everything that's been going on in the last couple of years, is there a significant amount of danger involved in going the ocs route?? I hope not to leave the country, but of course I have no control over that. I suspect it's nothing like going infantry with the Marines or anything like that, but is it still risky nonetheless??

In order to stave off the firestorm of criticism you are likely to receive for this post, I encourage you to clarify your position, especially with respect to "leaving the country" and "risk." Since these things are the essential hallmarks of military service and Naval Aviation in general, what was it you were expecting out of the experience?

Brett

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I hope not to leave the country, but of course I have no control over that.

There are very few designators where you won't deploy. If you don't want to leave for at least 6 months at a time, you really need to consider another line of work.

navy09

None
Are you for real? FYI...USN currently has more people on the GROUND in the Fifth Fleet area of operation than they do on ships.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Alright, flame off.

Give the guy a chance to respond.

ShrinkSkat

Banned
In order to stave off the firestorm of criticism you are likely to receive for this post, I encourage you to clarify your position, especially with respect to "leaving the country" and "risk." Since these things are the essential hallmarks of military service and Naval Aviation in general, what was it you were expecting out of the experience?

Brett

I was looking to go either into intelligence or the JAG program. Not NA. I was told that it's really up in the air as to where you might get sent. Some people did not leave US soil. I'm not saying this is typical. I'm just wondering where I might be sent. It could very well be a combat zone. I'm prepared to deal with that.

This is a difficult decision I would have to make (as would anyone else). I just wanted to get some feedback from other people. That's all. Didn't mean for it to sound like it's gonna be a walk in the park if that's what you think.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was looking to go either into intelligence or the JAG program. Not NA. I was told that it's really up in the air as to where you might get sent. Some people did not leave US soil. I'm not saying this is typical. I'm just wondering where I might be sent. It could very well be a combat zone. I'm prepared to deal with that.

This is a difficult decision I would have to make (as would anyone else). I just wanted to get some feedback from other people. That's all. Didn't mean for it to sound like it's gonna be a walk in the park if that's what you think.

Everyone deploys, and there are plenty of JAG and Intel guys on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan right now. I understand that you may have questions and this is certainly the right place to come to have them answered. That said, most of the folks on AW who are aspiring Officers are chomping at the bit to get started with their careers. People serve for a variety of reasons, but worrying about the risk is generally not on most people's minds. Make no mistake, military service is full of risk, especially during times of war. I would be lying if I told you that I have never thought about being killed, but it's not something which people in our profession are preoccupied with. If this is a major concern for you, then it's time for a gut check as to whether you really belong in our warrior culture - it's not for everybody. Otherwise, sack up, put it out of your mind, and welcome aboard.

Brett

Brydown1

FY-07 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
Everyone deploys, and there are plenty of JAG and Intel guys on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan right now. I understand that you may have questions and this is certainly the right place to come to have them answered. That said, most of the folks on AW who are aspiring Officers are chomping at the bit to get started with their careers. People serve for a variety of reasons, but worrying about the risk is generally not on most people's minds. Make no mistake, military service is full of risk, especially during times of war. I would be lying if I told you that I have never thought about being killed, but it's not something which people in our profession are preoccupied with. If this is a major concern for you, then it's time for a gut check as to whether you really belong in our warrior culture - it's not for everybody. Otherwise, sack up, put it out of your mind, and welcome aboard.

Brett

I think that sums it all up. When you deploy you dont think about the risks you think about what you will do when you get back.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
In light of everything that's been going on in the last couple of years, is there a significant amount of danger??... I hope not to leave the country... but is it still risky nonetheless??

Hopefully this was just a "lost in translation" deal. If not, I would have have to say you need to re-evaluate you decision to join the Military.

If you still wish to continue, perhaps you need to look at the Air Force, and their non-rated positions... be a missiler in the Dakotas or something... might fit you better.