• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is now really a good time to go into the navy???

thull

having said what i said, I would add that if one equates peace time with a "good" time to join the Navy, and war time with a "bad" time to join, then their priorities are running contrary to the essence of our military, and I agree should probably go some other route. But I think it's also important to not get carried away with the warrior mentality to the point of neglecting caution and common sense..

AppleCello

Seriously, a comfortable, civilian job in a cubicle somewhere, working a stupid, pointless job to make even more money for some rich people I'll never meet does not sound fulfilling. You get one shot at life, and that's not how I want to spend it.

Not even considering these factors, evem as a civilian, you're at risk everywhere you go, to varying degrees.

From now on, Im just going to hand out the link to Zilch's post whenever I get asked this question. Well put, it summarizes my thoughts very well.

Ok, back to spacing out for a bit before I get to my TPS reports. How did I ever end up here in this job... I guess I got distracted along the way. :D

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
Actually it's safer in Iraq or The Gaza Strip compared to the US.

(At least in Mortality rate)

EDIT: Get's marshmallows ready!

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
Jesus Christ, Kaffee, you're in the Navy for crying out loud.

Yeah, this is what I was think'in:

Kaffee: Whoa. Hold it. We gotta take a boat?
Barnes: Yes, sir. To get to the other side of the bay.
Kaffee: Nobody said anything about a boat.
Barnes: Is there a problem, sir?
Kaffee: No, no problem. I'm just not that crazy about boats, that's all.
Galloway: Jesus Christ, Kaffee, you're in the Navy for crying out loud.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104257/quotes

To answer your question, the Navy may be the more "safe" option than the other services in this war on terror due to the nature of the branch.

I say this because when the Army, Marines, or Air Force deploys, it is invariably to a ground station somewhere. In the Navy, you may be on a 6-10 month deployment off the coast, but at least the danger of insurgent activity is lower out to sea. Most nations we oppose have a small and relatively ineffectual naval presence compared to the US.

Now as for intel, these Officers and Petty Officers are frequently tasked with supporting an Army unit, since the Army needs the assistance. Your chances of getting ground duty in Iraq or Afghanastan is higher in this community than the Boatswain's Mate/1st Division community.

There are Naval personnel of all rates on the ground in the desert supporting the Iraq and Afghanastan operations. Most of the Navy, however, are best left on the ships.

I would suggest picking a job you like and not worrying about the actual risk, though. Find something you think would be fun and be the best you can.

As for leaving the US, I reference the quote above :tongue2_1 The Navy is all about deploying, more so than any other branch, since we do it even in peace time. If you want a branch that is primarily based in the US, you should look at the Air Force or Coast Guard.

Good Luck!

Rabo

Probably better to assume you WILL get deployed overseas, rather then hope for the other.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
From now on, Im just going to hand out the link to Zilch's post whenever I get asked this question. Well put, it summarizes my thoughts very well.

Be careful with the compliments, I might actually get an ego going or something. :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Be careful with the compliments, I might actually get an ego going or something. :D

OK, so what's with the POS Strat in your avatar? At least honor yourself with a good Ibanez or PRS. That'll knock you down a couple rungs on the ego ladder. ;)

Brett

badger16

None
OK, so what's with the POS Strat in your avatar? At least honor yourself with a good Ibanez or PRS. That'll knock you down a couple rungs on the ego ladder. ;)

Brett

or at least a head-less neck...then you could be part of the WILD STALLIONS!!!!:D

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!

Brett

Alas, your cruel barb finds its mark, and I am undone! Back to moping around all day, it looks like...