• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is 17 kids enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
That's not the point- I'm just saying that, unlike some parents with far fewer children, the Duggars manage to do a pretty good job of raising their kids and taking care of their obligations. Can you imagine how much work it is to raise 19 kids?! Ya, the older ones help out, but they wouldn't do that if they weren't raised well themselves. They're obviously caring and devoted parents, regardless of the caliber of their son's grammatical skills. I am most decidedly still impressed.

How can you define providing a ridiculously sub-par education to your children as "a pretty good job", much less as "caring and devoted" parenting?

Their kids may be polite and morally upright and exceptionally shiny. But I consider providing a sound education to be one of the most basic, crucial, and essential things a parent can do. And failing at that--especially when you have the resources to do otherwise--makes you a lousy parent in my book, and no amount of extra shininess in other areas will really make up for that gross failing.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I went through a phase where I was really obsessed with this show. As strange as this family seems, I have to give them a ton of credit. They built the house that they live in on their own (and it's a really, really nice house), they're not in any kind of debt, they never seem to neglect any of the children somehow, and Michelle Duggar homeschools all of them. That's pretty damn impressive in my opinion.

The show finished the house for them, not all that impressive.

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
How can you define providing a ridiculously sub-par education to your children as "a pretty good job", much less as "caring and devoted" parenting?

Their kids may be polite and morally upright and exceptionally shiny. But I consider providing a sound education to be one of the most basic, crucial, and essential things a parent can do. And failing at that--especially when you have the resources to do otherwise--makes you a lousy parent in my book, and no amount of extra shininess in other areas will really make up for that gross failing.

And you've come to the conclusion that all of the children are stupid based on the internet blog of one son with poor grammar? I know plenty of kids who went to regular schools and got mainstream educations but can't string a sentence together worth a damn. Maybe he's really good at math or science or something else, maybe he's just not a very good learner. You can't determine that she's stupid and bad at teaching her children because one out of 19 has trouble with perfect grammar in a blog, nor can you use that as a basis to prove that she's a lousy parent and failing at raising her children.

The show finished the house for them, not all that impressive.

Ok, so perhaps they didn't build the entire house, but they sure as hell did a lot of work on it, which is more than most people can say.

Jeez, some of you guys are being super judgmental about these people. They're not on welfare, they take care of themselves, they're not hurting anyone by having 87 kids... Do I think it's crazy? Ya, a bit, only cause I know I could never handle it. It may be unconventional to have as many children as they do, but other than that, what's the problem?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I went through a phase where I was really obsessed with this show. As strange as this family seems, I have to give them a ton of credit. They built the house that they live in on their own (and it's a really, really nice house), they're not in any kind of debt, they never seem to neglect any of the children somehow, and Michelle Duggar homeschools all of them. That's pretty damn impressive in my opinion.

While I can't find anything specifically from TLC's website, what I can find through Google is that they apparently get $50,000 per episode and that they went looking for a network to film them. Kind of puts a different spin on the why and how of the show.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Homeschooling is not in and of itself impressive. And when you read the oldest Duggar's blog (created during his engagement) and see the atrocious grammar and and writing skills the boy learned from dear ol' mama's schoolin', I doubt you'll be continue to be impressed.

Stupid passing on her Stupid and making 20 more Stupids is not impressive, except in a train wreck sort of way.

It's like giving accolades to OJ Simpson for taking the time to teach his son how to treat a woman.

I'll say I've met citizens with Master's Degrees that couldn't put two sentences together. Also, there's a bunch of "traditional" parents that have 1-2 kids as per the social norm, and both of em' are lazy, destructive, beligerent little assholes. This seems to be the rule rather than the exception. I only know this because my boys are 5 and 8 and I get to see the full range of demographics every night in my yard.

I think that if a couple has 18 kids, and they teach all of em' at the very least, some respect and work ethic, they're better parents than 75% of Americans.

From the couple of times I've watched the Duggars, they seem to take care of themselves, have some pretty good family unity, and aren't a financial burden on society. It would appear they've achieved success where the household with the single, spoiled kid has failed.

MR-

exhelodrvr

pilot
Homeschooling is not in and of itself impressive. And when you read the oldest Duggar's blog (created during his engagement) and see the atrocious grammar and and writing skills the boy learned from dear ol' mama's schoolin', I doubt you'll be continue to be impressed.

Stupid passing on her Stupid and making 20 more Stupids is not impressive, except in a train wreck sort of way.

It's like giving accolades to OJ Simpson for taking the time to teach his son how to treat a woman.

You can't make a valid judgement based on that. Look at the grammar and spelling of half the people who post here!

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Yesterday was September first. Opening day for many hunting seasons.

I guess it's open season on Christians here as well.

Steve

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
They asked you that? Wow. I find the following response raises a few eyebrows: "Well, they can take away a woman's right to choose, but they can never take away my right to throw a drunk girl down a flight of stairs..."

Religies can be fun!

Religies? Really?

I thought you had a religion too? I remember not too far back you wearing it as a badge of honor when it suited you.

I guess religion is only okay if it does not make you different from anybody else or affect the kinds of things you do or say.

My daughter's suitors will have the same questions since it is my job as her father to know what kind of young man she is seeing. If they can't handle it, they can pack sand.

BTW spare me the lecturing on rebellion etc. Unless you have a daughter that became a whore because you took a too active interest in her boyfriends, you can have nice hot cup of shut the heck up ( I know it's "shut the !@#$ up", but I would prefer to sound cleaner when coming off as a superior religious type.)

I don't think you can look at the appaling state of morals in this country and blame Dads who taught their kids solid values and screened their boyfriends.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I don't think you can look at the appaling state of morals in this country and blame Dads who taught their kids solid values and screened their boyfriends.

That's why I didn't have a problem with the typical questions. When they got into religion and politics (you know, things you aren't supposed to talk about if you want to not get pissed off?) on the first meeting, I had a problem.

I don't care if you want to live as a fundamentalist...have at it if the puritanical zeal is what gives you a chubby. I do have a problem when you filter everyone else through that lens, and put people into "going to hell" or "not going to hell" categories that restrict who you interact with and how you judge someone. I got the distinct feeling about an hour into the meeting that we wouldn't be seeing each other again, and not of her own choice. A NROTC scholarship having, corps of cadets hatin', clean cut, educated guy was not good enough for his daughter because I didn't worship the ground that Jerry Falwell walked on. Darn.

The problem with fundamentalism is that you just can't quite get that puritanical zeal boner without the side effect of judging everyone else as not pious enough, and therefore sentenced to eternal damnation.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Their kids may be polite and morally upright and exceptionally shiny. But I consider providing a sound education to be one of the most basic, crucial, and essential things a parent can do.

What? How many kids do you have?

"Gee Mr. Armstrong, other than being the first human on the moon, what else have you done?"

From the start, you don't have to teach a kid to hit, steal, lie, be selfish, be a glutton, make fun of other people etc.

You DO have to teach them to be polite, morally upright, and shiny. I know very few who have attained that level of parenting; I think it is a freakin miracle!! We should have these parents give freakin' seminars. Maybe these polite, upright kids should have their own rooms, video games and bad attitudes; maybe if they "expressed themselves" and had more "freedom" then would that make you happy?

But you, in your parenting wisdom make the ussumption of bad education because a young man uses bad grammar, and that they are failures as parents?!!? What the hell kind of uninformed sanctimonious crap is that?

This world doesn't need another editor or copywriter, but it sure as hell needs polite, morally upright people.

Steve

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
That's why I didn't have a problem with the typical questions. When they got into religion and politics (you know, things you aren't supposed to talk about if you want to not get pissed off?) on the first meeting, I had a problem.

I don't care if you want to live as a fundamentalist...have at it if the puritanical zeal is what gives you a chubby. I do have a problem when you filter everyone else through that lens, and put people into "going to hell" or "not going to hell" categories that restrict who you interact with and how you judge someone. I got the distinct feeling about an hour into the meeting that we wouldn't be seeing each other again, and not of her own choice. A NROTC scholarship having, corps of cadets hatin', clean cut, educated guy was not good enough for his daughter because I didn't worship the ground that Jerry Falwell walked on. Darn.

The problem with fundamentalism is that you just can't quite get that puritanical zeal boner without the side effect of judging everyone else as not pious enough, and therefore sentenced to eternal damnation.

Where do I start with the logical fallacies here.

#1 Who says you can't talk religion and politics?? You had a problem? That is totally fair. You didn't have to take it and it sounds like you didn't; good on ya.

#2 The terms "fundamentalist" and "puritanical zeal" are loaded and offer nothing.

#3 [/QUOTE]
I do have a problem when you filter everyone else through that lens, and put people into "going to hell" or "not going to hell" categories that restrict who you interact with and how you judge someone..[/QUOTE]

Whoa! Everybody has a lens, not just the Jesus Freaks. As far as hell, many religions have a conept of hell; it is a foregone conclusion that most people that are serious about their religion, think that you are going to hell if you don't believe like them and yea, it makes a difference who you want to hang around. You don't have to like it, but doesn't their faith deserve the same respect as yours? What would you do if your daughter dated a boy with beliefs that flew in the face of yours?

#4 Worshipping Jerry Falwell is just silly.

#5 Clean cut cadet. Wow, imagine that, you weren't good enough for somebody. Sounds like sour grapes.

#6 Puritanical boner. We only call it that when we are trying for procreation, preferably more than 10. Otherwise it's just a boner.

#7 Just to clarify, you may not be pious enough to date his daughter, but did he sentence you to eternal damnation? Do Christians automatically have the ability to do that? I know I can't (not that I've tried though) Yea, they have an idea of what it takes to get to Heaven, and a reasonable way of getting a picture of whether or not a person is on that path. That is descernment, not judgement, only God can make the final judgement.

Too bad you didn't get to date her. Maybe you did. Maybe she was a complete freak and only played nice in front of Daddy. But to rip him and label him as a Puritanical Zealot with a Puritanical boner is not really logically or intellectually honest.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Arguing logic when talking about religion is like wrestling with a pig. You're just gonna end up dirty and the pig will still like it. I don't mind talking religion and politics. I enjoy the ability to articulate what I'm thinking on a subject, and I like listening to what other people think and have to say about things. This guy liked to hear why he was right and I was wrong.

Fundamentalist: Strict pro-lifer (even in cases of incest or rape), the Bible is absolute truth (but what about the Parables, I ask...Well, that's different..aHa!), the earth is a little over 7000 years old, Dinosaurs and Carbon Dating are a farce. Jerry Falwell was an inspiring person. Yea, these are actual tidbits that I recall from the guy...Puritanical Zeal and Fundamentalist? I'll stand by that.

I don't have a problem with people having a lens to view life through/live by. I don't even care that the guy thought I was going to hell. I do have a problem with restricting your interactions with people who only believe the exact same things you believe. Narrow minded and bigoted don't even begin to describe the people who write an entire group off simply because they don't buy into a set of ghosts, spirits, or messiahs that no one has seen and no one can prove exist. I live by a set of morals and principles. I swore not to lie, cheat, steal or tolerate anyone who did when I was a cadet, and live/lived by that oath. If you can't respect someone enough to let them date your daughter who answers your questions honestly and lives by a set of principles just because they don't pray to your god, then you're a fool and I pity you.

We parted ways after the meet the parents. I broached the subject with "well...what'd your parents think of me?" and got "they think we should see other people" reply. Oh well. I was convinced that he was more of an asshole than a pious man after the meeting, and I wasn't that upset to not have to deal with him again.

Status
Not open for further replies.