• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is 17 kids enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Reasoned response and Christian? How oxymoronic. :D My point is that it's very trendy of late for the poor Christians to bemoan every perceived "assault" on Christianity. "Ohh no, the war on Christmas...Oh no, they made us take down the 10 commandments from the courthouse...Ohh no, they won't let us mandate prayer in public schools, etc, etc. Like I said, get over it. Nobody in this country is preventing you from practicing your faith, and just like free speech, your ability to do so freely ends at the point where you start ramming it down everyone else's throat. You've enjoyed a majority status in this country since it's inception - stop whining about it.

Brett

This thread had nothing to do with the war on Christmas, the 10 Commandments, or prayer in schools.

Should the Govt. ram Christianity down your throat? Absolutely not. Should we be still celebrate Christmas in schools? Absolutely, it is part of our culture and shared heritage as Americans. Let's just be clear, nobody is ramming anything down your throat on this forum.

Standing up for my faith, when it is slighted, is not whining or bemoaning a majority status.

Don't like people talking about their faith? Get over it.

R/

Steve

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Should the Govt. ram Christianity down your throat? Absolutely not. Should we be still celebrate Christmas in schools? Absolutely, it is part of our culture and shared heritage as Americans. Let's just be clear, nobody is ramming anything down your throat on this forum.

What about the people at school who don't celebrate Christmas? To them it might feel like the school is ramming it down their throat. Would you be willing to celebrate Eid al-Fitr too?

Don't like people talking about their faith? Get over it.

On the internets, no problem. In the wardroom or in the cockpit, no thanks. Foxhole, maybe ;).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What about the people at school who don't celebrate Christmas? To them it might feel like the school is ramming it down their throat. Would you be willing to celebrate Eid al-Fitr too? ....
Fuck no, I wouldn't ... it's not mine nor an American tradition, Hozer-lover. While I'd 'tolerate' it if it were that much of an issue (and we KNOW it's not) -- I wouldn't 'celebrate' it. :)

And how did we EVER manage to do Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, etc., etc. back in the days before the knee-jerk, semi-professional objectors in our society started being 'offended' by anything and everything that smacks of 'traditional Americana' ... or, dare I say it: :eek::eek: Christian :eek::eek:???

We had
Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, atheists, animists, freaks, agnostics, we had 'em all, all kinds of religious and not-so-religious persuasions ... hell, we even had MORMONS in our schools :). And we celebrated Christmas and all the 'rest' of the 'Christian' holidays as AMERICANS -- one & all -- AMERICAN TRADITIONS ... not as religious zealots nor various self-involved, Balkanized groups inhabiting the land. ALL the kids LOVED IT ... the time of the year, the pagentry, the decorations, the Santa stuff ... all of it.

Some of you guys are just ALWAYS lookin' for an excuse to disagree w/ something ... aren't you??? You must be unhappy in your world. :)

Oh, by the way ... I do NOT remember anyone being scarred by the experience ... and for the record: the country was a lot 'happier' then, too.

Merry Christmas

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And how did we EVER manage to do Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, etc., etc. back in the days before the knee-jerk, semi-professional objectors in our society started being 'offended' by anything and everything that smacks of 'traditional Americana' ... or, dare I say it: :eek::eek: Christian :eek::eek!!!!!

Times change and so has the country, not necessarily for the worst.

Some of you guys are just ALWAYS lookin' for an excuse to disagree w/ something ... aren't you??? You must be unhappy in your world. :)

And some seem to look for any excuse to be BOLD and expressive, some people must be really bored in their own little world. To each their own I guess.

Merry Christmas

Happy Kwanzaa!

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Would you be willing to celebrate Eid al-Fitr too?

No! And if the I moved to the greatest nation in the history of the world that had their own culture and heritage, I would not expect them to kiss my butt and deny their national identity. I wouldn't celebrate it, but I wouldn't feel bad because I had a different belief.

If you got stationed in Riyadh and sent your kids to public school, would you get all huffy if they had Muslim clelebrations?

You get secular humanism rammed down your throat daily, but that's okay.

I am a school teacher and I wish everybody a BIG MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! I even write it on the board. If a kid tells me he celebrates Kwanzaa (It hasn't happened yet), I'll wish him a happy Kwanzaa.

Our religious and cultural heritage are what shaped our nation and bind us together. It is part of the fabirc of our society; if you take them away, we will cease to be who we are and I can't belive what we will become will be better.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
You get secular humanism rammed down your throat daily, but that's okay.

In a slightly different understanding of the phrase than I believe you are employing, was this country not founded on secular humanism? We are a nation of Christians, not a Christian nation, as I see it.

But as an atheist, I always wish (and celebrate) Merry Christmas... it's what I know.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No! And if the I moved to the greatest nation in the history of the world that had their own culture and heritage, I would not expect them to kiss my butt and deny their national identity. I wouldn't celebrate it, but I wouldn't feel bad because I had a different belief.

If you got stationed in Riyadh and sent your kids to public school, would you get all huffy if they had Muslim clelebrations?

Islam is the official religion of Saudi Arabia, Christianity is not even mentioned in the Constitution, deliberately. Big difference.

I am no zealot that wants to erase anything Christian from public life, I even let slip the occasional 'Merry Christmas' when I am at work, but it is often used as an excuse by a minority to foist their beliefs on others. I saw that at my school several times, what were supposed to be a low-key Christian events turned into a sales pitch for a particular sect, with eternal damnation thrown in for good measure. If I want to hear a a pitch for God I would go to church, not school or the wardroom.

The easiest solution, keep religion out of government and government out of religion, which happens to include public schools. Several of the founding fathers and John Locke felt the same way, figure that.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Our religious and cultural heritage are what shaped our nation and bind us together. It is part of the fabirc of our society; if you take them away, we will cease to be who we are and I can't belive what we will become will be better.

They do not "bind us together." Who we are happen to be a bunch of very different people who've managed to live in the same spot and get along by respecting each and every person's right to worship whoever or whatever they choose, without any fear of repercussions for faith...or lack thereof.

We are joined by a set of principles and ideas that were written and designed to transcend faith...that's why we don't need theocrats telling us how to live, eat, breathe and associate, right-o?

I don't care when someone says merry christmas, happy holidays, whether or not the ten commandments are in a courthouse, etc. They don't offend me. I do care when someone IS offended by those things and they are treated like it's their fault that they got upset over a government official displaying an endorsement of any particular faith. Call it political correctness...it doesn't matter.

Does the fact that the National Christmas tree shares real estate with a Crescent Moon, Star of David, and whatever that Kwanzaa candle thingy is make your holiday any less sacred to you? Of course not. If it did, your faith is worth less than what you paid for this post. For this, as well as almost any other "right," your's end where another person's begin.

Your faith ought to be a private matter between you, your god, and your church. No one else cares, or needs to hear about why your god is the best and all the other ones suck. If they decide they want to hear about it, then I'm sure there will be someone militantly screaming Merry Christmas to them that they can ask for some literature about your faith.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They do not "bind us together." Who we are happen to be a bunch of very different people who've managed to live in the same spot and get along by respecting each and every person's right to worship whoever or whatever they choose, without any fear of repercussions for faith...or lack thereof.

We are joined by a set of principles and ideas that were written and designed to transcend faith...that's why we don't need theocrats telling us how to live, eat, breathe and associate, right-o?

I don't care when someone says merry christmas, happy holidays, whether or not the ten commandments are in a courthouse, etc. They don't offend me. I do care when someone IS offended by those things and they are treated like it's their fault that they got upset over a government official displaying an endorsement of any particular faith. Call it political correctness...it doesn't matter.

Does the fact that the National Christmas tree shares real estate with a Crescent Moon, Star of David, and whatever that Kwanzaa candle thingy is make your holiday any less sacred to you? Of course not. If it did, your faith is worth less than what you paid for this post. For this, as well as almost any other "right," your's end where another person's begin.

Your faith ought to be a private matter between you, your god, and your church. No one else cares, or needs to hear about why your god is the best and all the other ones suck. If they decide they want to hear about it, then I'm sure there will be someone militantly screaming Merry Christmas to them that they can ask for some literature about your faith.

+1: Well said. In other words (looking at you RockmtnNFO), STFU about Christianity already. It's one thing to be proud of your faith, but wearing it on your sleeve is a personality defect.

Brett

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
+1: Well said. In other words (looking at you RockmtnNFO), STFU about Christianity already. It's one thing to be proud of your faith, but wearing it on your sleeve is a personality defect.

Brett

I didn't bring it up. I'm not proud of it, I'm grateful. I am not wearing it on my sleeve, but since it is real for me, it is part of who I am and what I say. We all have our personality defects.

Wow, reading you and Schoolbubba, you would think a Christian killed your puppy. If they did, sorry about that.

If you don't like it, nobody has a gun to your head making you read this post. In fact, I am going to write another one soon, so don't read this thread anymore or you may get Christian germs on you.

Why are you so angry? Nobody has ramme anthing down your throat in this thread, we are just discussing real issues, and religion affects real issues. If you can point out a place where I bashed anybody tried to get them to convert or "judged" anybody, let me know.

Please expect, that when someone touches on something that involves religion or someone maligns my faith, I am going to speak up.

Have you read any of our founding documents? "Endowed by their Creator..." According to the framers, our rights do not come from the Constitution, they come from God. That does not transcend faith, it rests on it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't bring it up. I'm not proud of it, I'm grateful. I am not wearing it on my sleeve, but since it is real for me, it is part of who I am and what I say. We all have our personality defects.

Wow, reading you and Schoolbubba, you would think a Christian killed your puppy. If they did, sorry about that.

If you don't like it, nobody has a gun to your head making you read this post. In fact, I am going to write another one soon, so don't read this thread anymore or you may get Christian germs on you.

Why are you so angry? Nobody has ramme anthing down your throat in this thread, we are just discussing real issues, and religion affects real issues. If you can point out a place where I bashed anybody tried to get them to convert or "judged" anybody, let me know.

Please expect, that when someone touches on something that involves religion or someone maligns my faith, I am going to speak up.

Have you read any of our founding documents? "Endowed by their Creator..." According to the framers, our rights do not come from the Constitution, they come from God. That does not transcend faith, it rests on it.

There's certainly nothing to be angry about, but I am embarassed for you. We're talking about life in general, not just this thread, and as for you, I guess it's going to have to be guilt by association.

Brett

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
There's certainly nothing to be angry about, but I am embarassed for you. We're talking about life in general, not just this thread, and as for you, I guess it's going to have to be guilt by association.

Brett

Embarrased for me? Whatever you like, but I am not embarassed. Your condescending tone serves to weaken any reasoned arguments you make. Save that for a Ltjg who tanks a NATOPS exam.

As for guilty, if loving the Lawd makes me guilty, I don't wanna be innocent!:)

Regards,

Steve

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Soooooooooooo ... are we done here w/ the semi-annual Christian/religion-in-general bash???

No politics ... religion ... or ... or ... or ... now what was that third one that we're not suppose to talk about in the Wardroom ??

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Sex/women, but that was the first topic of this thread :)

And that's the mind-warp-meld that IS Air Warriors ... :D

CLOSED.* ( for the next 3-6 months)

* Unless anyone wants to burn someone at the stake ... although I'd prefer to burn a steak.

Status
Not open for further replies.