• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iranian UAV orbits CVN-76 for 25 minutes

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My question is, how is it that this "fact" is public knowledge, especially mere days after the attack? Seems like the only ones who would know would be the IDF and I can't see much reason for them to divulge their tactics/doctrine or lessons learned in a public way. Just seems suspicious, or likely to be inaccurate.

Brett

That is exactly what I was thinking. The Israeli ships were pretty close to the coast, would not give them a lot of warning. And who the hell expects terrorists to have something like a C-802? But, in todays world you have to expect the unexpected.....:(

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That being said, ECM is not a panacea, especially for inbound vampires. More of a last ditch effort. I'm wondering if they had their air search radars running, or even if the whole radar/ECM thing is getting mixed up in the confusion or by the press.

Brett

Not the first time a vampire hit a ship that wasn't expecting to see one. Slightly different circumstances, but USS Stark was hit by a pair of Exocets while woefully unprepared to defend herself even though the aircraft that launched them had been tracked during its attack profile.

FFG-31-Stark-Exocet-2-S.jpg

More on the Stark attack: http://eightiesclub.tripod.com/id344.htm

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not the first time a vampire hit a ship that wasn't expecting to see one. Slightly different circumstances, but USS Stark was hit by a pair of Exocets while woefully unprepared to defend herself even though the aircraft that launched them had been tracked during its attack profile.

FFG-31-Stark-Exocet-2-S.jpg

More on the Stark attack: http://eightiesclub.tripod.com/id344.htm

A direct contributor to the actions of the USS VINCENNES...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A direct contributor to the actions of the USS VINCENNES...

An indirect kill for the Iraqi air force vs. Iran. I'll bet the Exocet shooter painted an Airbus on the side of his jet for good measure.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
An indirect kill for the Iraqi air force vs. Iran. I'll bet the Exocet shooter painted an Airbus on the side of his jet for good measure.

Brett

As terrible as that sounds, you had me laughing on that one.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett327

Brett

It was an Iraqi Mirage F1 pilot who was probably not happy about flying at night over the Gulf and likely picked the first big return he got. The Stark "assumed" he would discern from his radar whether he was targeting an Iranian ship or a neutral, if not somewhat (at least then) US warship. The Stark made a radio call when the Mirage appeared to be heading at them and when it veered off, they paid it no more attention. Unfortunately, it veered off because it had released it deadly load of 2 Exocet missiles. Had the Stark released they were really threatened at range, they would have had time to go to GQ, arm their weapons and countermeasures and turn the ship.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was an Iraqi Mirage F1 pilot who was probably not happy about flying at night over the Gulf and likely picked the first big return he got. The Stark "assumed" he would discern from his radar whether he was targeting an Iranian ship or a neutral, if not somewhat (at least then) US warship. The Stark made a radio call when the Mirage appeared to be heading at them and when it veered off, they paid it no more attention. Unfortunately, it veered off because it had released it deadly load of 2 Exocet missiles. Had the Stark released they were really threatened at range, they would have had time to go to GQ, arm their weapons and countermeasures and turn the ship.

Yep, I remember reading the case study in ROTC. Badness.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And that will get you killed every time ... NEVER assume ANYTHING !!! Erase the concept and the word from your mind.

^^ Wise advice....That was also after watching the duty Iraqi Mirage go out night after night and do same thing (that would make me very concerned if it pointed its nose at me):target first Iranian ship it chanced upon and let loose with a volley of Exocets.

They thought they were bystanders....I debriefed some of the crew including HSL det who really got to use their firefighting training skills. They really didn't consider that the Iraqis could have a navigational issue (INS drift etc) or be a neophyte that would see a blip and not realize it was the American ship standing off and watching the affair.

Making a radio call "This is an American Warship.....etc." doesn't give SA to a pilot heading your way having his own issues.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Making a radio call "This is an American Warship.....etc." doesn't give SA to a pilot heading your way having his own issues.

Especially if you wait until the contact has closed to within 12 NM per the linked story. I was floored upon reading that.

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Especially if you wait until the contact has closed to within 12 NM per the linked story. I was floored upon reading that.

Brett

Yep, and they were in Combat coffee cups in hand....complacency in regards to the impending threat.

My rule of thumb suggestion would have been to take max range of worst case weapon (Exocet) and add a buffer for larger of warning call reaction time/time to bring weapons to bear/time to get ship into GQ posture. The threat of a "launch and leave" weapon like Exocet should have had them doing more than make radio calls. They might have realized that the blip they were watching was a Mirage out to do harm, but likely never knew they looked like a big fat juicy target to the Mirage. Those American warship calls aren't a shield of any kind in this and many other cases.