• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iranian UAV orbits CVN-76 for 25 minutes

RevnR6

Getting Closer and Closer by the minute
TXHusker,

Where are you in your educational progress, or in your career? Are you in the Navy yet, or have you been selected for anything yet? Don't take this the wrong way, I am just wondering, not trying to back you up or put you down.

jmiller82

In regards to potential threats (as raised earlier in the thread - "What can a UAV do to a carrier?") from a UAV, what about actually delivering a payload that is attached to the UAV, rather than firing a hellfire or some other sort of meaningless weapon (in regards to firing on a flat top)? I'm no expert on RAM/CIWS range or detection, but if the UAV actually slipped past radar and was intent on just landing as a kamikaze (sic?) on the deck or making impact with the ship, could it happen (assuming it went undetected, as described by the Iranians)?

Just a point to ponder on..

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
In regards to potential threats (as raised earlier in the thread - "What can a UAV do to a carrier?") from a UAV, what about actually delivering a payload that is attached to the UAV, rather than firing a hellfire or some other sort of meaningless weapon (in regards to firing on a flat top)? I'm no expert on RAM/CIWS range or detection, but if the UAV actually slipped past radar and was intent on just landing as a kamikaze (sic?) on the deck or making impact with the ship, could it happen (assuming it went undetected, as described by the Iranians)?

Just a point to ponder on..

UAV's are a whole hell of a lot more expensive than hellfires, or pretty much anything other weapon. UAV's cost as much as a Harrier, etc. so that really wouldn't make any sense.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^^^^^That seems much more expensive than just dropping bombs, etc., what's the point?

They have neither manned aircraft, nor bombs to drop. Let's not confuse the Hezbollah "UAV" with some of the stuff that we have. I suspect they're operating nothing more than a souped up RC aircraft. w/ a block of C-4 thrown in for good measure.

Brett

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
They have neither manned aircraft, nor bombs to drop. Let's not confuse the Hezbollah "UAV" with some of the stuff that we have. I suspect they're operating nothing more than a souped up RC aircraft. w/ a block of C-4 thrown in for good measure.

Brett

That was my first thought. I know they have no manned aircraft, bombs etc., but I knew that their "UAV" couldn't possibly be as good or expensive as ours. Thanks!

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
How "good" does it need to be?

It disabled one of Israel's ships, killed some of their sailors, and put a dent in their international reputation. I would think all 3 of those were objectives of this attack. Best of all they didn't have to convince Abdul to strap a bomb to himself this time around.

And... Its probably cheaper and easier to acquire than a decent anti-ship missile.

Granted, the IAF/IDF are going to completely level them as payback... but they accomplished their mission.

PS - Do not misinterpret this post as having any respect for terrorist pieces of ****. I hope the Israelis kill the *******s.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
How "good" does it need to be?

It disabled one of Israel's ships, killed some of their sailors, and put a dent in their international reputation. I would think all 3 of those were objectives of this attack. Best of all they didn't have to convince Abdul to strap a bomb to himself this time around.

And... Its probably cheaper and easier to acquire than a decent anti-ship missile.

Granted, the IAF/IDF are going to completely level them as payback... but they accomplished their mission.

PS - Do not misinterpret this post as having any respect for terrorist pieces of ****. I hope the Israelis kill the *******s.

Never said it had to be as good as ours, was just pointing out that it wasn't a UAV in the sense of the word that some would think it is. ;)

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Thats a huge surprise that this has all esclated so much so fast. As far as the technology involved im sure it isnt much more than a decently large radio A/c like what you could get at the hobby store. The question is what are they using to navigate it into the ship? How far can the feed possibly go or do you guys think the ship was in visual range from say a harbor or coast line?

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Thats a huge surprise that this has all esclated so much so fast. As far as the technology involved im sure it isnt much more than a decently large radio A/c like what you could get at the hobby store. The question is what are they using to navigate it into the ship? How far can the feed possibly go or do you guys think the ship was in visual range from say a harbor or coast line?

*wild speculation follows*

Something as small as a souped up R/C Aircraft could be thrown off of any boat in the water making any boat an instant UAV Carrier.

Word I've seen on TV is that the ship was about ten miles out to sea at the time of the attack.