• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insider Scoop on Navy OCS

elmernite

PRO REC Y: SNA
So, I haven't read all 37 pages, sorry if this is a repeat question, is it better to check your phone into OCS? Or leave it in your Car?
-Ken

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
So, I haven't read all 37 pages, sorry if this is a repeat question, is it better to check your phone into OCS? Or leave it in your Car?
-Ken
Check it in. The walk to the car is the last thing you want to do after 8 week inspection. Open that goodie box full of crap and get you cell at the same time.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Check it in/lucky bag. If your DI is a Santa Claus, you might get it back before your POV run. Your president will probably do a lot of pushups for that, though.

kjsupply05

Supply Candidate for OCS
Hey Everyone! So this community has been really helpful in my preparing for OCS. I have to admit though, I am a little concerned about making it through OCS and doing well. I want to become a Navy Officer VERY much and, after all my research, it is definitely something that I can see myself really enjoying long-term.

I guess I am just concerned on how difficult it will be, especially being a non-prior going in. And I'm definitely worried about rolling for RLP - not knowing everything verbatim. I am trying to look over the materials now, but I find it somewhat difficult to memorize them all - especially with distractions. I will keep at it though.

Physically, I have been preparing -- hitting 68 push-ups and 77 sit-ups currently. Running is a work in progress, but is difficult in my current location because all running surfaces are hilly dirt trails - so I feel like my speed falls low because of that.

Any insight on OCS - if this is a normal concern to have - and insight on RLP and risk of rolling? Also, any insight on the Supply Officer career path (even Submarine Supply - since info is limited)?

Any thoughts would really be appreciated and helpful! I am scheduled for January 2016 OCS, but no official FINSEL yet! Thank you everyone!

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
Hey Everyone! So this community has been really helpful in my preparing for OCS. I have to admit though, I am a little concerned about making it through OCS and doing well. I want to become a Navy Officer VERY much and, after all my research, it is definitely something that I can see myself really enjoying long-term.

Take it day by day. Try to have fun with all the events. I am the bottom of the barrel when it comes to physical fitness, but I survived. Confidence is key to your success.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot

I guess I am just concerned on how difficult it will be, especially being a non-prior going in. And I'm definitely worried about rolling for RLP - not knowing everything verbatim. I am trying to look over the materials now, but I find it somewhat difficult to memorize them all - especially with distractions. I will keep at it though.

Physically, I have been preparing -- hitting 68 push-ups and 77 sit-ups currently. Running is a work in progress, but is difficult in my current location because all running surfaces are hilly dirt trails - so I feel like my speed falls low because of that.

Any insight on OCS - if this is a normal concern to have - and insight on RLP and risk of rolling? Also, any insight on the Supply Officer career path (even Submarine Supply - since info is limited)?

Any thoughts would really be appreciated and helpful! I am scheduled for January 2016 OCS, but no official FINSEL yet! Thank you everyone!

Show that you give a crap by knowing your information. The thing that kills people is freezing under the slightest bit of pressure and the gunny's jump on it. People show up out of shape and leave in the best shape of their lives; I would not recommend taking this path though because you'll end up spending more time in Newport than you'd like if you show up looking like a bag of ass.

The program is less running intensive than it used to be mainly because of injuries so show up able to run 2 miles a day without your body dropping into convulsions. I was an underachiever on the PFT's mainly because I didn't want to injure myself trying to triple max.

Again the key to success is having you're bravo info down pat and not being the clown who fails a test. It's like middle school caliber classes so don't kill yourself over it but again don't be the guy who fails because you brushed it off.

Try to enjoy it a little. It's a good time if you let it be. Don't be the squeaky wheel and don't be a blue falcon.

EDIT: Make friends with the priors and the better your shoes look the more your chief will like you

kjsupply05

Supply Candidate for OCS
Show that you give a crap by knowing your information. The thing that kills people is freezing under the slightest bit of pressure and the gunny's jump on it. People show up out of shape and leave in the best shape of their lives; I would not recommend taking this path though because you'll end up spending more time in Newport than you'd like if you show up looking like a bag of ass.

The program is less running intensive than it used to be mainly because of injuries so show up able to run 2 miles a day without your body dropping into convulsions. I was an underachiever on the PFT's mainly because I didn't want to injure myself trying to triple max.

Again the key to success is having you're bravo info down pat and not being the clown who fails a test. It's like middle school caliber classes so don't kill yourself over it but again don't be the guy who fails because you brushed it off.

Try to enjoy it a little. It's a good time if you let it be. Don't be the squeaky wheel and don't be a blue falcon.

EDIT: Make friends with the priors and the better your shoes look the more your chief will like you

Thanks for that! I appreciate the insight and tips a lot! I'm definitely going to give it my all.

Gator Guard

always knife hands
Your feelings are normal. I worried about RLP and rolling too, but I was already in shape before hand. However, I don't have to try hard to imagine that concern either.

You sound like you have the right attitude. Don't lose your motivation, and like utswimmer said, take it day by day or even meal by meal. OCS seems long a first. Very long in fact. I remember on the first day of week 5 realizing I still had 2 weeks of training before being half way done.

It really starts to speed up eventually. Weeks 7-9 are fast and 10-12 are gone in a flash. So when you really are feeling ground down and it seems like it's never going to end, just remember that you get 80% of the hard stuff done in about the first 5 weeks.

I'll see you in the fleet.

Winn Dixie

CAPT, SC, USN
Your feelings are normal. I worried about RLP and rolling too, but I was already in shape before hand. However, I don't have to try hard to imagine that concern either.

You sound like you have the right attitude. Don't lose your motivation, and like utswimmer said, take it day by day or even meal by meal. OCS seems long a first. Very long in fact. I remember on the first day of week 5 realizing I still had 2 weeks of training before being half way done.

It really starts to speed up eventually. Weeks 7-9 are fast and 10-12 are gone in a flash. So when you really are feeling ground down and it seems like it's never going to end, just remember that you get 80% of the hard stuff done in about the first 5 weeks.

I'll see you in the fleet.

Having just come back from my 25th AOCS Reunion, things speed up and never slow down and you'll be where I am before you know it. The two best pieces of gouge that I got were:

1. They have to feed you every 5 hours or so, so nothing crappy can last longer than that and odds are, not longer than an hour or two.

2. If you focus on not quitting and forcing them to attrite you, odds are you'll make it out of there.

Winn Dixie

CAPT, SC, USN
I'm an AOCS grad, so my winter experience is different than a Newport one. Suspect that snow/ice will keep you indoors but otherwise you'll be outside. If you're there now, you're lucky because it looks like a milder winter.