• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insider Scoop on Navy OCS

christopherNASA

KICK MY ASS. I LOVE TO GET INJURED
ladies of all ages easily pass me at the pool as i execute a flawless breastroke. amatuers and pros alike love to think theyre owning me by getting to the other side of the pool first, like i care. bastards.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
ladies of all ages easily pass me at the pool as i execute a flawless breastroke. amatuers and pros alike love to think theyre owning me by getting to the other side of the pool first, like i care. bastards.

After 4 weeks of swim hold, I have became very proficient at swimming, in a classroom, in accordance with Naval Aviation Fundamentals, NAVAVSCOLSCOM-SG-200. I also hate it now too.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
what did you do to get put in swim hold dangy

This was for API.

#1) I didn't really know how to "swim" until a few months out before OCS. (See earlier posts). So the treading, breast stroke, and side stroke got me the first time.
#2) I got a second set of swim hold because I cramped up halfway through my mile swim. Heard a pop, and felt my calf muscle balled up with fingers. Never had an intense cramp like that in my calf, so I wasn't sure whether that was a torn/tendon, but thank god it wasn't. Grabbed the wall, so I was done.

Passed the helo dunker with flying colors though, :D

christopherNASA

My breaststroke is supreme, i could go all day baby, all day. Alas, i am quickly found to be the "Fool of the Pool" as i attempt to tread water and sink like a huge buffoon, a buffoon who cannot tread water that is. How do they teach you to tread water, is it a special technique?

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
My breaststroke is supreme, i could go all day baby, all day. Alas, i am quickly found to be the "Fool of the Pool" as i attempt to tread water and sink like a huge buffoon, a buffoon who cannot tread water that is. How do they teach you to tread water, is it a special technique?

You'll be fine for the mile swim then. The initial/civilian swim instructors are awesome, but the advanced remedial swim instructors are probably ranked 4/10. They'll tell you "do it this way", majority of the time it doesnt work, but you'll find your groove.

For now, just focused on OCS. IFS and API are way too far ahead.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
You'll be fine for the mile swim then. The initial/civilian swim instructors are awesome, but the advanced remedial swim instructors are probably ranked 4/10. They'll tell you "do it this way", majority of the time it doesnt work, but you'll find your groove.

For now, just focused on OCS. IFS and API are way too far ahead.

Ugh, I got swim hold for my ugly breaststroke form on Day 1. Figured it out on Day 2 of swim hold, but I was thankful all the extra time was dedicated to the tread. I still hate the tread. I've got to redo the dunker earlier than usual because I'm going to Japan. Dunk me all fucking day, but that damn tread.

But anyway...

christopherNASA

yeah i'm just shootin the shit yknow, hangin out before ocs starts, just chatting the ol' web forums fellas

christopherNASA

Pretty glad i didnt fuck up badly on the astb and then also announce to the forum goers that i badly fucked up on the astb

cacreader

I remember at boot camp, prone float and swim are separated. Read somewhere saying for OCS: is that we jump off, prone float then swim . So is that true?

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
I remember at boot camp, prone float and swim are separated. Read somewhere saying for OCS: is that we jump off, prone float then swim . So is that true?
For us (a little over a year ago), it went like this:
-Jump off the tower
-Go over to the wall and get in line
-Swim
-Walk back over the other end of the pool and everyone does the float together.