• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insider Scoop on Navy OCS

findingo ponbay

If you don't pass the swim qualification, you'll just be put into remedial swim classes while everyone else is doing morning PT. They'll get you to pass before graduation. It's not rollable, so don't be too worried about that.

The depth of the pool varies. I believe the end near the platform is 20' and it goes down to 4' on the other side.

Does that mean I have to PT at some other time? (I'm assuming the running, etc) I ask because I'm worried about losing endurance or just flat getting out of shape for the final PFA.

how much do you have to maintain your head under water during the 5 min prone float?

Does that mean I have to PT at some other time? (I'm assuming the running, etc) I ask because I'm worried about losing endurance or just flat getting out of shape for the final PFA.

how much do you have to maintain your head under water during the 5 min prone float?
It's not hard to pass the swim qual. We had one person in my OCS class not pass. They walk you through exactly what to do. And it's nice to get away from the DI for a bit. For the "floating," I would come up for a breath, and then go under, count to 5 slowly, come back up- just to make sure I stayed relaxed, so I probably came up every 15 secs. Again, it's really easy. You don't make up the PT later. Believe me, there's no time to make it up. And it's very unlikely that missing 2 PT's a week will get you out of shape. (Although I hear PT isn't what it used to be, even when I was there). Later on, you might have the opportunity to use a small gym, but you also have to be studying/ preparing for inspects. Some people used it, I didn't. Just relax during the swim qual and don't worry about it again.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
Being calm and relax makes a tremendous difference. I started actively learning how to swim a couple of weeks ago, and I kept exerting a lot of energy then I need to. If you buy goggles, it'll help you a lot with being relaxed in the water, because you'll see how well you actually can float than being unsure of where you are due to cloudy vision.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
It's not hard to pass the swim qual. We had one person in my OCS class not pass. They walk you through exactly what to do. And it's nice to get away from the DI for a bit. For the "floating," I would come up for a breath, and then go under, count to 5 slowly, come back up- just to make sure I stayed relaxed, so I probably came up every 15 secs. Again, it's really easy. You don't make up the PT later. Believe me, there's no time to make it up. And it's very unlikely that missing 2 PT's a week will get you out of shape. (Although I hear PT isn't what it used to be, even when I was there). Later on, you might have the opportunity to use a small gym, but you also have to be studying/ preparing for inspects. Some people used it, I didn't. Just relax during the swim qual and don't worry about it again.
I tried asking this on another thread but do we need to brush up on our math/sciences before we go or is this mainly learning and memorization on things about the Navy and general navigation?

vladivostok391

Lieutenant, U.S. Navy
I tried asking this on another thread but do we need to brush up on our math/sciences before we go or is this mainly learning and memorization on things about the Navy and general navigation?

From what I've heard, focus on memorizing the "Big Five:" Code of Conduct, General Orders of a Sentry, Chain of Command, Leadership Traits, and Rate / Rank Structure. Aside from getting in kick-ass shape, of course.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
From what I've heard, focus on memorizing the "Big Five:" Code of Conduct, General Orders of a Sentry, Chain of Command, Leadership Traits, and Rate / Rank Structure. Aside from getting in kick-ass shape, of course.
I should have preempted like I did on the other one. I get the ocs stuff and in shape bit but wasn't sure if being better at physics, algebra and general science impacted ones success at OCS or if that stuff pays it's dividends later on in your respective naval pipeline.

BleedGreen

pilot
OCS doesn't have any courses that require high levels of physics, general science, or algebra. The most important trait for the academics at OCS is being able to memorize material relatively quickly.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Thanks. That's what I was looking for. I've been all business and IT classes for the past 8 years of my life so didn't was to be behind the curve.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Being calm and relax makes a tremendous difference. I started actively learning how to swim a couple of weeks ago, and I kept exerting a lot of energy then I need to. If you buy goggles, it'll help you a lot with being relaxed in the water, because you'll see how well you actually can float than being unsure of where you are due to cloudy vision.
Biggest thing to hit on is incorporating core exercises into different mobility workouts. If your hands aren't connected to your feet through a strong yet flexible core swimming/floating will always be difficult. Yoga is a great way to get a head start on this.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
Biggest thing to hit on is incorporating core exercises into different mobility workouts. If your hands aren't connected to your feet through a strong yet flexible core swimming/floating will always be difficult. Yoga is a great way to get a head start on this.

Any suggestions on increasing speed in freestyle? I keep flapping my arms, softly kicking and looking straight down to the floor, but I am super incredibly slow through the water. Should I be more forceful exerting my arms?

MikeMillerUK

Nearing the end of Primary
Contributor
look for efficiency, not just a higher turnover. if each stroke moves you farther through the water, you can slow your arms down, swim faster, AND still save more energy than what you expend now. And regarding softly kicking, work on kicking harder. doing enough to keep your body on top of the water is fine starting out, but eventually you can get it to the point where your kick is actually helping to propel you forward and increase your speed. also, looking straight down is good, that means your head is staying still. but make sure the rest of your body is rolling side to side. It isn't as efficient to swim flat. Slower and uses way more effort than you want.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Any suggestions on increasing speed in freestyle? I keep flapping my arms, softly kicking and looking straight down to the floor, but I am super incredibly slow through the water. Should I be more forceful exerting my arms?
A great way to find efficiency is by like Mike said establishing a powerful kick. The kick is your propulsion just like a submarine and arms are the stabilizers. I found when teaching that a great way to establish a solid kick is to work through a progression to eventually incorporate the arms. Start by pushing off with your head down and arms at your side while kicking; when you need to breath calmly rotate to the side, initiated with the hips, while never stopping your kicking. If you find yourself picking your head up and stopping try a rotating from your stomach to back, then back to your stomach. Once you are stable and find that you dont have to pick up your head to rotate do the same thing for a few laps but starting off with your hands above your head, which is the only change. Once you can rotate comfortably from side to side with your arms above you, push off the wall with arms in front/streamlined and begin to incorporate your freestyle stroke, breathing to the side when needed and not on every stroke. Rather than swinging your arms like windmill make sure thay every time a hand enters the water you reach out with your finger tips toward the wall in front of you. It will slow down your cycle rate while increasing the distance per stoke. For Navy purposes the benefit to having strong legs in the water is that when you get tired you can always turn on to you back and kick while still moving forward.

Last edited:
Just so you know, there's no time limit on the swim

I should have preempted like I did on the other one. I get the ocs stuff and in shape bit but wasn't sure if being better at physics, algebra and general science impacted ones success at OCS or if that stuff pays it's dividends later on in your respective naval pipeline.
And just to reinforce, there's nothing hard in terms of academics. Most is memorization and three of the 5 tests are completely multiple choice so as long as you have a general idea, you should be good. The other two, you have some multiple choice, some short answer, and a navigation problem (basically). Everyone from my class passed academic (to be fair, we had a lot of nukes).

Only needed for your first 3 inspections. So it's a little different from the academics. You should start to memorize those before getting to OCS. The more you know of those before getting there, the easier your life will be- of course people have memorized it all while there, I'd discourage it though.

Feel free to PM me- I went through about a year ago

vladivostok391

Lieutenant, U.S. Navy
Just so you know, there's no time limit on the swim

And just to reinforce, there's nothing hard in terms of academics. Most is memorization and three of the 5 tests are completely multiple choice so as long as you have a general idea, you should be good. The other two, you have some multiple choice, some short answer, and a navigation problem (basically). Everyone from my class passed academic (to be fair, we had a lot of nukes).

Only needed for your first 3 inspections. So it's a little different from the academics. You should start to memorize those before getting to OCS. The more you know of those before getting there, the easier your life will be- of course people have memorized it all while there, I'd discourage it though.

Feel free to PM me- I went through about a year ago

Good info, man - much appreciated.