• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insider Scoop on Navy OCS

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
There were a few classes this summer that did ORLP in Khakis because their dress uniforms weren't done yet. According to folks I know in those classes it was not going to change back to Khakis permanently.
That's what it was.
Personally, I think the dungeon speech in Khakis is lame as hell. When I was in the dark ladderwell of old Nimitz in the back corner, I thought there were a dozen dudes coming down those stairs because I was locked on. Unbeknownst to me, there was just a drummer making all that noise, not a bunch of people wearing boots. Doing that in khakis doesn't have the same effect, especially in bright and warm New Nimitz. The class before me did everything on indoc Sunday in Khakis because it was "more professional" (a phrase that I utterly hate, but that is a different rant), but fortunately it changed back to NWUs when my class did it and appears to have stayed that way. Hopefully this is just another one off.
+1. Callaghan staff should be khakis, Nimitz in N-dubs. One of the most fun days was when we were candios and we had to check in the new class. I got to be the drummer in the dungeon. Best job ever. The first group of indocs were so scared that they ran straight forward and up the stairs towards the gargoyles - and our new XO was right around the corner. Luckily, more shouting got them to stop and turn around before they saw him. Another group heard the candio shouting at them to tuck their shoelaces, and they just took their shoes off instead. Good times.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
That's what it was.

+1. Callaghan staff should be khakis, Nimitz in N-dubs. One of the most fun days was when we were candios and we had to check in the new class. I got to be the drummer in the dungeon. Best job ever. The first group of indocs were so scared that they ran straight forward and up the stairs towards the gargoyles - and our new XO was right around the corner. Luckily, more shouting got them to stop and turn around before they saw him. Another group heard the candio shouting at them to tuck their shoelaces, and they just took their shoes off instead. Good times.
Cool story, Hansel...

rawhide 26

pilot
Yeah poopies suits are gone, althought they give them to the indocs to pack in their sea bags for wake up "wake up Wednesday". Which is now on friday; so the indocs don't meet their class team till friday now.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
No more poopy suits, "Wake-up Friday"

what+is+this+I+don+t+even+_e6935e220e54cbbdf5685ce5d569e210.jpg

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Yeah poopies suits are gone, althought they give them to the indocs to pack in their sea bags for wake up "wake up Wednesday". Which is now on friday; so the indocs don't meet their class team till friday now.

What the hell is going on up there? So basically what you're saying is that outpost is now when they first meet the class team?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Pretty much, its now wakeup outpost welcome aboard friday.

So after thinking about this a bit more, I think that the silver lining might be giving a few extra days of leadership training to the candios. That might have even been the intent, vice just trying to make things softer. I could get behind that.

Having said this, I'm starting to think that certain powers that be might want to just get rid of the DIs and maybe the RDCs and make this a mini Naval Academy where the students do all the training. That I would not support.

findingo ponbay

I'm posting an unrelated question here I posted elsewhere because I'm guessing you'd probably know the answer:

For the OCS swim test, do we have to swim 500yds and 450m timed or is it only 50yds? Everywhere I see it says 50yds, but the PRT standards have the 500yds and 450m listed. I'm just confused about that. If it's 50yds then what is the PRT standards and why does it say something different?

Also, just want to say thanks for posting on here. We all appreciate the info!

HLINGER_345

I am still going through OCS now. I can honestly say I feel honored to be a part of class 06. We were officially the last class to dawn those poppy suits =) Good times.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I'm posting an unrelated question here I posted elsewhere because I'm guessing you'd probably know the answer:

For the OCS swim test, do we have to swim 500yds and 450m timed or is it only 50yds? Everywhere I see it says 50yds, but the PRT standards have the 500yds and 450m listed. I'm just confused about that. If it's 50yds then what is the PRT standards and why does it say something different?

Also, just want to say thanks for posting on here. We all appreciate the info!
See other post. Long story short, you won't be swimming the PRT at OCS.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
So after thinking about this a bit more, I think that the silver lining might be giving a few extra days of leadership training to the candios. That might have even been the intent, vice just trying to make things softer. I could get behind that.

Having said this, I'm starting to think that certain powers that be might want to just get rid of the DIs and maybe the RDCs and make this a mini Naval Academy where the students do all the training. That I would not support.
Actually indoc week is all medical until Friday. They have "wake up Wednesday" and "Outpost" that Friday. But they have 30 extra hours of drill. Some might think "not a bad trade off" but I would rather have poppy suits that have 30 extra hours with class team on my face....

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
I feel for all of you heading back to OCS after Christmas leave. You get a little taste of home and then back to fun and games.