• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insider Scoop on Navy OCS

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Haha you are correct. The laptops are blocked. I am currently in a King Hall classroom for Seapower and had a little break, so I got on.
milspec-monkey-blue-falcon-patch0105-large.jpg

longhorn4life

They're TRANET, so you can only get on .mil sites and Wikipedia. However, some very clever officer candidates were able to put music and even a few movies on the shared hard drive in the past. I wonder if Battleship is still on there...
Very true. Although some of us have been able to access Canadian sites for things like news and sports updates.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Nice, we had to use Google News, and we could only get headlines, it wouldn't let us access the stories. Thankfully Google Finance lets you check stock quotes too.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
He probably didn't, the staff know about it because the OCs need that classroom for things like ordering challenge coins, silver dollars, etc. And from speaking to an IT guy I was helping out back in student pool, he said each router is set by NSTC or NETC (forget which) and so that's why you get such crazy variance around OTCN in terms of what you can do on the computers. They had to go out of their way to lock down the new computers in Nimitz, we had Pandora and YouTube and all sorts for the first few weeks.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Eh, YMMV. If OTCN is blocking these sites, it's because they don't think students ought to have access to them. But it'll mostly depend on his class team whether or not they choose to enforce the "only use computers for business" rules.

Either way, there's no reason to announce on AW.com that you are a student at OCS and found the router that hasn't been properly configured yet, complete with a timestamp. There's really nothing to gain from that and a lot of pain you could cause for your classmates.

Medianoche

This is a lot of great info. Just read all the way from page 1. Definitely can see the change over the years that has occurred with OCS. Shoot just the other day I thought OCS was still in Pensacola, FL. I complete my packet at the end of this month and hopefully it'll make intel board in January. While looking through this and assuming that I get accepted to OCS, do they provide a listing of what you can and cannot bring? For example the shaving issue: I would need to shave everyday, with an electrical or manual razor (of no concern to me). However, I have easily irritated skin and applying lotion after a shower is the only remedy it seems, this is the same for shaving. Is lotion allowed?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
This is a lot of great info. Just read all the way from page 1. Definitely can see the change over the years that has occurred with OCS. Shoot just the other day I thought OCS was still in Pensacola, FL. I complete my packet at the end of this month and hopefully it'll make intel board in January. While looking through this and assuming that I get accepted to OCS, do they provide a listing of what you can and cannot bring? For example the shaving issue: I would need to shave everyday, with an electrical or manual razor (of no concern to me). However, I have easily irritated skin and applying lotion after a shower is the only remedy it seems, this is the same for shaving. Is lotion allowed?
Sure, as long as the fragrance isn't overwhelming, which it usually isn't for shaving balms. Electric razors aren't allowed, though, to the best of my knowledge. There should be a list on the OCS website, although it may be outdated, and some stuff may depend on class team, so if you have doubts, you could ask here to get some more up-to-date gouge.

BleedGreen

pilot
A little off topic but new classes will no longer be required to wear poopy suits anymore. 07-14 was the first class to wear PT gear for indoc week. OCS will never be the same.

BleedGreen

pilot
They say it's "hazing" to make indocs wear them but really they can't justify spending money to upkeep there stash of poopy suits.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
They say it's "hazing" to make indocs wear them but really they can't justify spending money to upkeep their stash of poopy suits.
...actually, that last part makes sense. Might as well make them wear their own clothes.
I also noticed that they did the Dungeon in khakis, although a few gargoyles (oops, "officer candidates under instruction") were still in NWU's. And one of their inspections was done in a different uniform too. Might have been SDB's for 6th week PI or something like that. Or maybe I just didn't realize that that was the appropriate uniform after the seasons change.

BleedGreen

pilot
...actually, that last part makes sense. Might as well make them wear their own clothes.
I also noticed that they did the Dungeon in khakis, although a few gargoyles (oops, "officer candidates under instruction") were still in NWU's. And one of their inspections was done in a different uniform too. Might have been SDB's for 6th week PI or something like that. Or maybe I just didn't realize that that was the appropriate uniform after the seasons change.

Are "under instruction" uniform was NWU's and for 6th week PI we wore khakis. ORLP was in the seasonal service dress uniform so maybe that is what you saw? Either way, OCS has many more changes coming, they haven't divulged all there secrets to us quite yet though

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
There were a few classes this summer that did ORLP in Khakis because their dress uniforms weren't done yet. According to folks I know in those classes it was not going to change back to Khakis permanently.

Personally, I think the dungeon speech in Khakis is lame as hell. When I was in the dark ladderwell of old Nimitz in the back corner, I thought there were a dozen dudes coming down those stairs because I was locked on. Unbeknownst to me, there was just a drummer making all that noise, not a bunch of people wearing boots. Doing that in khakis doesn't have the same effect, especially in bright and warm New Nimitz. The class before me did everything on indoc Sunday in Khakis because it was "more professional" (a phrase that I utterly hate, but that is a different rant), but fortunately it changed back to NWUs when my class did it and appears to have stayed that way. Hopefully this is just another one off.

I really wish they had just said "The poopy suits are so old they still say AOCS on the back, and we don't have the money or desire to replace them" rather than calling it hazing. That would be a lot more acceptable to OCS alumni, I think.