• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insider Scoop on Navy OCS

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I knew a few people that had electric razors. Not sure if our class team allowed them or people just hid them in the coffin lockers during the day.
This was the case for the guys I knew. "Sleep between the sheets, you understand?"

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
So is eating by the numbers still secured? This was a part of OCS that I just plain did not agree with. I see no benefit from it whatsoever. At least in enlisted boot camp you got to sit down and eat your meal without being bothered (as long as you didn't socialize or look around).
Besides military customs, the most important thing you learn in OCS is how to function under constant stress.

Once upon a time the class team could actually screw with you in chow hall...you know, like walk up and down the table and kick over your gatorade on your uniform (which was wash khaki at the time) for improper cup placement or make you eat by 'holding up the bulkhead' while your arm held the tray, and if you got too tired to hold your food you just didn't eat (or so said our Pensacola grad class O sharing some personal OCS sea stories). So not eating by the numbers correctly actually had some sort of consequence, and you didn't automatically get 20 minute little 'breaks' from anything. The stress stayed turned on even during chow.

Once the staff was not allowed to screw with you, there's really no point to watching you like that and the whole stress aspect of eating by the numbers goes away by like week 3.

So there was a purpose to it, probably still as a little bit. You're supposed to get used to it and think it's stupid, it means you've learned the lesson they were trying to teach. I just think an earlier transition to eating normally instead of week 9 or 10 would have been more appropriate.

Last edited:

WEGL12

VT-28
You can probably get away with electric razors more now that you have your own sink.

Shaving night before at your own risk. You might get asked "Did you shave this morning?!" later in the day, and you don't want to say no.

As for alarm clocks, just buy a digital watch at the NEX and only wear it when section leader.

Biggest advantage of shaving at night is I didn't have to worry about shaving for morning pt. I would touch up during the hygiene call after pt. This worked for me but each person has to find a system that works for them. Makes thing much easier.

mrdrown

So they do not allow alarm clocks until the end, but watches are OK?

Is it easier to get a chit if you bring something from your doctor? Like someone else said, I can shave with an electric razor no problem, but a few days with a regular razor and my face will look like I've been attacked. I went through the unfortunate experience of acutane as a teen and my skin has been ultra sensitive/easily irritated ever since. I could easily get something from my doctor stating this if that would hold any clout...

WEGL12

VT-28
So they do not allow alarm clocks until the end, but watches are OK?

Is it easier to get a chit if you bring something from your doctor? Like someone else said, I can shave with an electric razor no problem, but a few days with a regular razor and my face will look like I've been attacked. I went through the unfortunate experience of acutane as a teen and my skin has been ultra sensitive/easily irritated ever since. I could easily get something from my doctor stating this if that would hold any clout...

All depends on class team. We weren't allowed watches until week 8. Only person that had a watch was the section leader who passed it to the next section leader each night. But it can vary a lot with class team. For example we weren't off grab and go in the chow hall until the end of week 6. The class behind us had most everything in the chow hall unlocked by the end of week 2. Not much of an issue anymore because chow hall policies are completely different now but you get the point.

Not sure about a shaving chit. If you have documentation from a doctor it may help but you will have to get the final word from a Navy doctor. I am pretty sure King hall issues special chits for shaving.

longhorn4life

I am currently in week 4 at OCS and in our case, the only people permitted to have a watch are the president and vice presidents. We were passing around a watch for section leaders, but class team stopped that a few days ago. Since we have alarm clocks unlocked, everyone just carries that around if they are section leader or have watch duty.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I am currently in week 4 at OCS and in our case, the only people permitted to have a watch are the president and vice presidents. We were passing around a watch for section leaders, but class team stopped that a few days ago. Since we have alarm clocks unlocked, everyone just carries that around if they are section leader or have watch duty.
Just curious, how'd you get on here? I assume the TRANET laptops block this site. Did class team let you have your phones?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Chooses AW's over family contact...I don't get Millenials...maybe OCS really isn't that hard anymore...

You can still email everyone on the computers in the rooms. You can just do more "real internet" kinda stuff in the classrooms....until the XO comes in the back and realizes that no one is actually paying attention.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
You can still email everyone on the computers in the rooms. You can just do more "real internet" kinda stuff in the classrooms....until the XO comes in the back and realizes that no one is actually paying attention.
You have computers in your rooms?! I didn't even get a phone call except for Sundays...

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
You have computers in your rooms?! I didn't even get a phone call except for Sundays...
They're TRANET, so you can only get on .mil sites and Wikipedia. However, some very clever officer candidates were able to put music and even a few movies on the shared hard drive in the past. I wonder if Battleship is still on there...

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Chooses AW's over family contact...I don't get Millenials...
We (they?) know how to use MS Windows to multi-task. You've only been able to do that on PCs for 20 or so years now, so I wouldn't expect slow old people to catch on yet. :p