• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insider Scoop on Navy OCS

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Best of luck, Paladin! BTW...what is "H"?? Is that what we used to call GTX??

neumero4te

Ensign!
Ok first off... those ladies at the uniform shop are wolves in sheeps' clothing. just don't piss them off. my class chief is banned from there because she was being 'too mean' to candidates and the ladies yelled at her. Second, I'd like to submit that maybe you could not have known that the Navy was not what you wanted to do before you got to OCS, so don't be too hard on yourself about that. Lastly, I'd like to concur that the first three days BEFORE you meet your drill instructor are also pretty demanding and maybe are just as bad as the second half of Indoc week.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
....those ladies at the uniform shop are wolves in sheeps' clothing. just don't piss them off. my class chief is banned from there because she was being 'too mean' to candidates and the ladies yelled at her.

So how did that come about....candidates in there whining???? I'm sure she wasn't in the store being "mean" to them. And how exactly did they ban her? Letter of caution on shop stationary?

FUPaladin

couldabeen
I think the OCS move to Newport has brought a lot of new traffic the uniform shop there that they're not quite used to yet, so there are still a few issues they need to work out. They're certainly not used to people who DOR, so the woman in charge there was very unpleasant when I brought a bag full of unused items in and tried to return them, even though they were in perfect condition and could go back on the shelf right then. I wasn't the first and certainly won't be the last to do the exact same thing, so that's something they'll have to get over.

And Harrier Dude, you may be interested to know that there are several female RDCs around there and even a female DI in charge of one of the classes. It's not a pretty sight when someone slips up with an "Aye, Sir!"

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
FUPaladin,

Good on ya' for fessing up and posting this. I hope things work out for you.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I think the OCS move to Newport has brought a lot of new traffic the uniform shop there that they're not quite used to yet, so there are still a few issues they need to work out. They're certainly not used to people who DOR, so the woman in charge there was very unpleasant when I brought a bag full of unused items in and tried to return them, even though they were in perfect condition and could go back on the shelf right then. I wasn't the first and certainly won't be the last to do the exact same thing, so that's something they'll have to get over.

And Harrier Dude, you may be interested to know that there are several female RDCs around there and even a female DI in charge of one of the classes. It's not a pretty sight when someone slips up with an "Aye, Sir!"

Why would you need to return anything? Isn't all of your initial issue covered with a clothing allowance? When I went through it was. The only thing we covered on our own was our service uniforms (SDBs, Chokers etc).

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Why would you need to return anything? Isn't all of your initial issue covered with a clothing allowance? When I went through it was. The only thing we covered on our own was our service uniforms (SDBs, Chokers etc).
I don't know the specifics, but I believe people who leave the military in circumstances like this are not allowed to keep uniform parts.

FUPaladin

couldabeen

You're right, it's not like I stood to lose money on the deal. It's just that after I DOR'd, those items (such as belts, belt buckles, and a few items from my knowledge bag) were useless to me, but they were unused and in perfect condition so there was no reason they couldn't be sold again. Since the choice was between extra money in my pocket or a pile of useless souvenirs, it was worth it bug them about it when settling my account.

I don't know the specifics, but I believe people who leave the military in circumstances like this are not allowed to keep uniform parts.

I never heard anything like that. In fact, people who DOR'd later in the program were stuck with lots of uniform parts because by then everything had been opened, detagged, stamped, etc. in preparation for rlp.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
the first three days BEFORE you meet your drill instructor are also pretty demanding and maybe are just as bad as the second half of Indoc week.

So basically, Sunday through Tuesday sucks,
and the last half of the week, Wednesday through Saturday sucks as well?

Sounds like the whole week sucks.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
So basically, Sunday through Tuesday sucks,
and the last half of the week, Wednesday through Saturday sucks as well?

Sounds like the whole week sucks.

Correct. And the week after that. And the week after that...

It starts to get better eventually, but how much better and how soon it gets better depends on the class and the class team. The only way to go through OCS is to make yourself put up with it. 90% of the time you will be some combination of sleep deprived / sick / hungry / feeling weak / sore / unable to use your voice, and you still have to bring everything you've got for the DI every day.

Good thread, Paladin.

cdrsniper

Lovin' life....
FUP,
Good on you for posting this. You will help more prospects than you think. I wish you best of luck in your future endeavors.